Not open for further replies.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Wait... a ... second.

Massachusetts has a Republican governor, is 4th in density, has 6k deaths, is 4th in deaths/million, but isn't listed in the chart...err... meme. Well, it is listed, on the Dem side. (Thanks, qwerty.)

Mmmmkay.
    Facebook meme strikes again.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    tenor.gif

He was unimaginative. And what George Lucas knows about physics could be fit in an ant's jock strap.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Manipulating the sample set to manipulate a person’s beliefs about an issue.

I thought only Democrats did that.

...but a meme so it’s OK....I’ve been told numerous times.

I think the main purpose of a meme is to give people a chuckle if they already know if they are American patriots or dumocrap traitors.
    After that, if you don't know where you stand, they can help you decide. :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I agree in part. I don’t think it’s valid to say we should stop comparing it to the flu. For example, when was the last time the flu caused NYC to need the government to build emergency ICU space? There are some similarities and there are some differences. Talking about those can be informative. But it is quite valid to ask that people stop comparing it in ways that supports a one-sided viewpoint. Like, saying it’s just the flu to make it sound less impactful than it actually is. And of course there are people who like to take on-sided bits of information to say :runaway: I should be able to shoot you if you’re not wearing a mask! it’s literally terrorism not to wear a mask!!

Did Wuvid 19 cause NYC to 'build emergency ICU space'? I believe the extra accomodations were unneeded and scarcely (if at all) used. It would seem that unrealistic predictions by 'the experts' are what caused NYC to overreact, not the disease itself

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Actuarially speaking, Covid-19 seems to be boosting the performance of the social security and medicare trust funds....unless government goblins give away the savings.

End of life, particularly the last year, is an extraordinarily expensive use of SocSec/Med resources. Covid seems to solve the problem much quicker than the average.

Getting all those old folks out of the system is a benefit as well. And just think of the children. Great granpa/ma's home and valuables get distributed to heirs much quicker. Who could argue with that?

Not to mention those 1.7 million seniors that will not leave their homes so the younger people can live in them...

The Realtors reported a few years ago the trend of aging in place with in home care etc is a contributor to the housing shortage...

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Indeed. The current situation just further drives home the limitations on expertise. By definition, an 'expert' in epidemiology is merely widely read on past, similar events and draws on that knowledge to make predictions, of varying degrees of accuracy, about the behavior of current or future organisms with some overarching similarities to past epidemics

What seems different is the reaction of the 'experts' when their predictions are proven wrong. Politics and the mob seem to have killed disinterested peer review, else the hyperbole that not adhering to erroneous predictions will 'kill us all' could not have taken root

Experts used to be held up by what they knew, supported by peers,and back up by actual science.
    The problem now is that experts are appointed by politicians and the media. Declared experts simply based on rather or not their opinion supports a political view or talking point. Over and over I have noticed it happening more over the last 20 years. Those giving the message simply look for someone with credentials that support what they believe or want to message to the public...and a "new" expert is created.

See global warming for a great example of this,or any science debate that has political sides. Of course many scientist want the label for pride or simply funding so they bend,break,create the science wanted to receive the label and funding.

I trust almost no one who became an "expert" via politics or the media...sadly it is most of them.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Added some testing statistics for the US going back to March 1st as well as a Bar Graph that shows despite testing, cases are not increasing dramatically: https://twnwi.com/TestingStats.php

Additionally, the Individual State States has a column for the Political affiliation of the Governor. You can sort the information by cases, density, deaths, tests, etc: https://twnwi.com/States.php

What is truly fascinating is that US positive cases are 1.5 million for a population of 328.2 million. If my math was right, .04% of the US population has tested positive. That is certainly low as there are countless positive cases that never were tested. Even so, it's still a small number for all the hysteria it seems.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    What is truly fascinating is that US positive cases are 1.5 million for a population of 328.2 million. If my math was right, .04% of the US population has tested positive. That is certainly low as there are countless positive cases that never were tested. Even so, it's still a small number for all the hysteria it seems.

No, your math is not correct.

Don't quit the day job.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Tell me how the hell this could possibly work! 30 kids pretty standard in a classroom and they have to be 6ft apart. Staggering kids coming into and leaving school. 1 kid per seat on the bus and skipping seats. They'll have to run 10 times as many buses and kids wont be getting home till 8pm at night. This **** is getting out hand!

Easy, build more and bigger schools.

Always follow the money

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Experts used to be held up by what they knew, supported by peers,and back up by actual science.
    The problem now is that experts are appointed by politicians and the media. Declared experts simply based on rather or not their opinion supports a political view or talking point. Over and over I have noticed it happening more over the last 20 years. Those giving the message simply look for someone with credentials that support what they believe or want to message to the public...and a "new" expert is created.

See global warming for a great example of this,or any science debate that has political sides. Of course many scientist want the label for pride or simply funding so they bend,break,create the science wanted to receive the label and funding.

I trust almost no one who became an "expert" via politics or the media...sadly it is most of them.

u0RSY6m.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom