• Status
    Not open for further replies.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I've brought this up a few times and it's usually met with something along the lines of "it's not the flu!" :n00b: or they question the timing/spread.

yeah I get pissed when people scream "stop comparing it to the flu!!!"

sorry it's exactly appropriate to compare to another respiratory virus we are used to seeing

what they mean is "stop giving evidence this isn't as bad as we keep telling you it is"

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

sorry it's exactly appropriate to compare to another respiratory virus we are used to seeing

what they mean is "stop giving evidence this isn't as bad as we keep telling you it is"

Did you know that the flu deaths aren't actually numbers of flu deaths?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

They cry about comparing it to the flu and then tell us it's 5+ times deadlier than the flu. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    They cry about comparing it to the flu and then tell us it's 5+ times deadlier than the flu. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but....

The .gov estimated mortality of COVID is worse than the .gov estimated mortality of the flu. ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Quick googling - is this what you're thinking of? The publication of studies about how long it lasts on surfaces?
    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces

I'm still not sure the CDC has indicated the virus can travel 15 miles in the open air to infect someone. ;)

Kinda like with the "every death a COVID death" spinification, the CDC is not the root of all evil in this. It is acting like a clearinghouse of information, from what I can tell. Their role (as superfluous as it may be) is to: a) try to protect Trump's statements, b) publicize the results of testing done by other entities.

As I go through more of what the CDC does on its own... I wonder more and more what their mission is. Or was.
    No. That’s not what I’m thinking of. Again, I’m thinking about the CDC guidelines given initially. Masks won’t help you. Just wash your hands and disinfect surfaces regularly, and leave the masks for the healthcare workers. It was on the CDC website. Fouci repeated it in the daily briefings. Initially they told us that they believed that the virus was not transmitted easily through the air.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No. That’s not what I’m thinking of. Again, I’m thinking about the CDC guidelines given initially. Masks won’t help you. Just wash your hands and disinfect surfaces regularly, and leave the masks for the healthcare workers. It was on the CDC website. Fouci repeated it in the daily briefings. Initially they told us that they believed that the virus was not transmitted easily through the air.

Tell you what, here's the website of CDC press releases. I don't think they said what you think they said, but what the MSM did. The CDC didn't say "masks won't help." My recollection is that they said that they weren't recommending masks for the public at large at that time.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/archives.html

Here's an example from Jan 30 announcing the first discovered person-to-person spread in the US:
    https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0130-coronavirus-spread.html

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) today confirmed that the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has spread between two people in the United States, representing the first instance of person-to-person spread with this new virus here.
    The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. Right now, 2019-nCoV has not been found to be spreading widely in the United States, so CDC deems the immediate risk from this virus to the general public to be low. However, risk is dependent on exposure, and people who are in contact with people with 2019-nCoV are likely to be at greater risk of infection and should take the precautions outlined in CDC’s guidance for preventing spread in homes and communities.

For the general public, no additional precautions are recommended at this time beyond the simple daily precautions that everyone should always take. It is currently flu and respiratory disease season, and CDC recommends getting vaccinated, taking everyday preventive actions to stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed. Right now, CDC recommends travelers avoid all nonessential travel to China.

But really, this is a rabbit hole that doesn't need to be explored unless we both want to.

At this point, what does it really matter what they said?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I agree in part. I don’t think it’s valid to say we should stop comparing it to the flu. For example, when was the last time the flu caused NYC to need the government to build emergency ICU space? There are some similarities and there are some differences. Talking about those can be informative. But it is quite valid to ask that people stop comparing it in ways that supports a one-sided viewpoint. Like, saying it’s just the flu to make it sound less impactful than it actually is. And of course there are people who like to take on-sided bits of information to say :runaway: I should be able to shoot you if you’re not wearing a mask! it’s literally terrorism not to wear a mask!!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can be shot by a civilian for not wearing a mask.

Go ahead, punk, make my day.
    She said if someone approaches her without a mask, she will shoot them in self defense. Then went on some rant about everyone not wearing a mask are bio-Terrorists and are intentionally inflicting disease on people. :rolleyes:

You know, because the only possible reason for someone not to wear a mask is that they are trying to infect people.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Actuarially speaking, Covid-19 seems to be boosting the performance of the social security and medicare trust funds....unless government goblins give away the savings.

End of life, particularly the last year, is an extraordinarily expensive use of SocSec/Med resources. Covid seems to solve the problem much quicker than the average.

Getting all those old folks out of the system is a benefit as well. And just think of the children. Great granpa/ma's home and valuables get distributed to heirs much quicker. Who could argue with that?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    She said if someone approaches her without a mask, she will shoot them in self defense. Then went on some rant about everyone not wearing a mask are bio-Terrorists and are intentionally inflicting disease on people. :rolleyes:

You know, because the only possible reason for someone not to wear a mask is that they are trying to infect people.

I musta missed it.

I'm caught up now. Yeah, I can see why she's mad. Probably never been laid.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Actuarially speaking, Covid-19 seems to be boosting the performance of the social security and medicare trust funds....unless government goblins give away the savings.

End of life, particularly the last year, is an extraordinarily expensive use of SocSec/Med resources. Covid seems to solve the problem much quicker than the average.

Getting all those old folks out of the system is a benefit as well. And just think of the children. Great granpa/ma's home and valuables get distributed to heirs much quicker. Who could argue with that?

Old people.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I musta missed it.

I'm caught up now. Yeah, I can see why she's mad. Probably never been laid.
    I think yer gonna have to click Bug’s link above. She apparently deleted her Twitter account. That’s where I was gonna copy the photo from.

Apparently she did not realize people say mean stuff to you on the internet when you say stupid stupid stuff.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Old people.

Not all of them. Ask an old guy would he rather have a lingering sepsis issue, resulting in a series of "ectomy's" and amputations, and death, to a couple of unpleasant weeks drowning.

Not a great tradeoff, I agree. But, I'll take what's behind Door # 2, Monty.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

People are scared and doing stupid things: 38th and Monon Trail, women yelling at bike riders for not wearing masks, while her mask is around her neck. Two bike riders with Pool Noodles attached to their bikes with sign that reads 6 feet. I was waiting for one of these idiots to hit someone with the pool noodle and for the fireworks to start. There were a lot of little riders on the monon/cultural trail last weekend and the noodle would most likely knock one of these little riders off their bikes.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I think yer gonna have to click Bug’s link above. She apparently deleted her Twitter account. That’s where I was gonna copy the photo from.

Apparently she did not realize people say mean stuff to you on the internet when you say stupid stupid stuff.

I don't read teal type any more. I stopped being able to see that wavelength when it became associated with right wing politics.

Well, she's from Pennsylvania. Their schools aren't all that hot.

Wharton is a good example.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom