• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    sooner or later we are all gonna have to be tested for everything so everyone can trust all the models.

Or, when the models disagree with the data, they could fix the models instead of fixing the data. Works for [STRIKE]global cooling[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]global warming[/STRIKE] climate change, too

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Actuarially speaking, Covid-19 seems to be boosting the performance of the social security and medicare trust funds....unless government goblins give away the savings.

End of life, particularly the last year, is an extraordinarily expensive use of SocSec/Med resources. Covid seems to solve the problem much quicker than the average.

Getting all those old folks out of the system is a benefit as well. And just think of the children. Great granpa/ma's home and valuables get distributed to heirs much quicker. Who could argue with that?

I said a long time ago that during Trump’s presidency, school shootings, social security and the homeless problem would be solved.

Looks likes the homeless are doing a lot better than I expected...I should have known.

But, school shootings and social security.....

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I agree in part. I don’t think it’s valid to say we should stop comparing it to the flu. For example, when was the last time the flu caused NYC to need the government to build emergency ICU space? There are some similarities and there are some differences. Talking about those can be informative. But it is quite valid to ask that people stop comparing it in ways that supports a one-sided viewpoint. Like, saying it’s just the flu to make it sound less impactful than it actually is. And of course there are people who like to take on-sided bits of information to say :runaway: I should be able to shoot you if you’re not wearing a mask! it’s literally terrorism not to wear a mask!!
    Well, how about the 1968 Pendemic? It was the Hong Kong Flu (N3H2) that killed 1 million world wide and 100,000 in the US. In fairness, NYC did not build ANY new emergency space. Frankly, NOTHING changed in the daily lives. N3H2 is one of 4 Swine Flu strains. This DEADLY strain is what we refer to now as Flu A. I had it back in February. So we might as well get used to calling SARS-COV-2, Flu X or the like because it isn't going away.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I said a long time ago that during Trump’s presidency, school shootings, social security and the homeless problem would be solved.

Looks likes the homeless are doing a lot better than I expected...I should have known.

But, school shootings and social security.....

No school. No school shootings.

Solved. No gun confiscation required.

I'd put this one in the Trump "win" column. Biden wouldn't have been able to do it. He's never been outside an envelope. I would have said "box", but that would have started a whole 'nother set of comments.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    But if one trusts the flu numbers estimates, consistency dictates that one would trust the COVID estimates.

There was never a 'freedom cost' attached to the flu estimates, so your assumption that we 'trusted' the flu estimates would seem to be unsupported - untested, due to lack of interest

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    H8cQIcV.jpg

The other 30 states are another (roughly) 1/3 of the population and add about 13K deaths.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If one concedes the [STRIKE]flu[/STRIKE] [past battles] and [STRIKE]COVID[/STRIKE] [future conflicts] are inequal, then how does [STRIKE]citing flu estimate numbers regarding COVID[/STRIKE] [studying the lessons of history] make any sense?

I think it's the '... doomed to repeat it' part

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The other 30 states are another (roughly) 1/3 of the population and add about 13K deaths.

That's a bit of a tautology (nod to jamil).

Going deeper than "population," Dem states tend to be more "densely populated." That is, the concentration of people is higher. More people in a smaller space.

This virus (as most do) spreads more effectively in areas with higher population density.

But, is there also some cherry-picking of those states? Isn't the rest of the country also governed by either an R or a D?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Actuarially speaking, Covid-19 seems to be boosting the performance of the social security and medicare trust funds....unless government goblins give away the savings.

End of life, particularly the last year, is an extraordinarily expensive use of SocSec/Med resources. Covid seems to solve the problem much quicker than the average.

Getting all those old folks out of the system is a benefit as well. And just think of the children. Great granpa/ma's home and valuables get distributed to heirs much quicker. Who could argue with that?

You really have joined the republican party, haven't you?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    That's a bit of a tautology (nod to jamil).

Going deeper than "population," Dem states tend to be more "densely populated." That is, the concentration of people is higher. More people in a smaller space.

This virus (as most do) spreads more effectively in areas with higher population density.

But, is there also some cherry-picking of those states? Isn't the rest of the country also governed by either an R or a D?

It's a meme. I imagine there was cherry picking going on to make the comparison as extreme as possible. If I were making the meme I would.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Manipulating the sample set to manipulate a person’s beliefs about an issue.

I thought only Democrats did that.

...but a meme so it’s OK....I’ve been told numerous times.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The CDC told us that covid's primary way of infecting people was not airborne, but through contacting infected surfaces and then touching eyes/nose/mouth. And I think they said at the time in the context of "we believe based on blah blah blah". Okay, fine. They get to be wrong. But 180 degrees and that's not the only one, and we're basing public policy on all that, I kinda think they need to sit tight and kinda figure **** out to a more certain degree than "we believe".

Indeed. The current situation just further drives home the limitations on expertise. By definition, an 'expert' in epidemiology is merely widely read on past, similar events and draws on that knowledge to make predictions, of varying degrees of accuracy, about the behavior of current or future organisms with some overarching similarities to past epidemics

What seems different is the reaction of the 'experts' when their predictions are proven wrong. Politics and the mob seem to have killed disinterested peer review, else the hyperbole that not adhering to erroneous predictions will 'kill us all' could not have taken root

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Manipulating the sample set to manipulate a person’s beliefs about an issue.

I thought only Democrats did that.

...but a meme so it’s OK....I’ve been told numerous times.

Wait... a ... second.

Massachusetts has a Republican governor, is 4th in density, has 6k deaths, is 4th in deaths/million, but isn't listed in the chart...err... meme. Well, it is listed, on the Dem side. (Thanks, qwerty.)

Mmmmkay.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom