Indiana

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Ut oh, Spaghettios!

You guys remember me commenting a few days ago that my Doc's office made me go through a fair amount of work to reschedule an appointment that was supposed to be for tomorrow out to May 1st?

Well, they just called to cancel that appointment and reschedule an in-person visit out to JULY!

Apparently I can also just have a phone consultation instead, which is what I intend to do. They said they'd also keep refilling my meds without trouble, which is the only thing I'm actually concerned about.

So.... This is fun! No routine medical care for the next 4 months.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    My model ignores them. :)

Well, we can back into that number by using the total identified infections and taking 80% of that.

For me, this is an exercise in granular, day-to-day forecasting. Professional meteorologists look at highs and lows and high altitude currents to project 3-4 days.

I'm the guy in his back yard looking at the horizon to try and tell what the weather will be for the next hour. :)

Seriously, my assumptions are that the increase in reported dead people in the relatively recent past can indicate in the relatively near future how many dead people there will be.

(It was also a bit in response to people saying, "This can't be that bad." so as to illustrate exponential growth.)

Really, I only look at the dead people stat, then somewhat cross-check that against the total number of infections. That's part of the reason I think deaths are under-reported.

So, now really thinking outside the box.... what is the difference in what you are modeling with what is being reported? If you then push the time earlier, what date would make it flatten out? Hope that makes sense...but I am in the group that this has been out and about the US population more that what is normally being assumed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    And we aren't playing Bergamo in the soccer finals. If we are, I'm not going.

Not the finals. Those were just the round of 16. The finals would've had people from all over the world (but mostly Liverpool and Paris, since they'd be playing). ;)

[Ok, technically it would've depended on the draws after the group play.]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Too much nerd talk going on in here with all of this modeling stuff and statistics.

When do we get to form up and go out on raids in a convey of Mad Max style vehicles? I'm getting bored.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, now really thinking outside the box.... what is the difference in what you are modeling with what is being reported? If you then push the time earlier, what date would make it flatten out? Hope that makes sense...but I am in the group that this has been out and about the US population more that what is normally being assumed.

Oh, I totally believe that this has been spreading since January or so.

For me, I basically start with 3/13 for the numbers. Early on, the numbers jump so much because the values are so small.

What people are reporting on are sophisticate models that use weighted averages and parameters based on other countries and things like "days since 100th death" and all sorts of things that I don't have the time to figure out.

If an authority figure was in a room and asked, "How many dead people are there going to be tomorrow, the day after, and the day after that?" Well, my approach would probably be close.

For policy purposes, if that authority asked, "How many dead will there be a week from now?" I'm not the guy to answer that. (I'm not sure that guy is out there.)

I think chipbennett made the point that we don't really know how far along the graph we are. At some point, there's a peak. If you start out very close to the peak, then it comes quickly and looks like it flattens out quickly. If you start out further down from the peak, it looks like it is a long time coming.

We don't know where we are on that upslope. IHME thinks we're about 3 weeks away.

Might be right. Might not. I'll only be able to observe that once we hit it. That is, when all of my model's predictions are too high (and the daily increase is lower than the day before), then we'll know we're flattening the curve.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Our lives will NEVER be the same again. Nor the ENTIRE WORLD. Period. Next time somebody coughs, you are going to look around. I will never shake hands again. Seriously.

I usually just do the Vulcan wave thing. I aint shaking anyone's hand. I'm not sure I can get back to not caring about germs. I think about what I touch: gas nozzle. products in the store. cart. Even things at home. I think of all the ways the thing I'm touching might have been infected. And it makes me want to wash my hands.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I usually just do the Vulcan wave thing. I aint shaking anyone's hand. I'm not sure I can get back to not caring about germs. I think about what I touch: gas nozzle. products in the store. cart. Even things at home. I think of all the ways the thing I'm touching might have been infected. And it makes me want to wash my hands.

Yes, I even worry about getting the mail.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I wash my hands after doing each and every one of those things for years anyhow. I wore latex gloves to pump gas the other night and I thought, "Finally! My time has come!"

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I see your point for mortality. But using your same parameters of testing the most severely symptomatic, and the most at-risk would we be looking at the lower limit for R0?Once we start testing more and more we will find all the asymptomatic infected that don't even know it as well as those who rode it out at home and were never counted before. This would increase the body of positive tests.

It's my understanding that the R0 is an estimate based on the factors that contribute to spreading it, like how long it's contagious overall, how long it's contagious before symptoms appear, how one moves about in society infecting people. So I would expect R0 to become more accurate as researchers learn more about those factors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom