• Status
    Not open for further replies.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

[STRIKE]Poor commenting[/STRIKE] [Spaghetti code] is a fact of life in [STRIKE]software[/STRIKE] [just about all] engineering. I know many, many seasoned engineers that write worthless comments in their code. When I train interns and such, I impress on them the need to write full paragraphs explaining why and how the code works.

/QUOTE]

Fixy

Speak for yourself, homes. My models and drawings are perfectly well detailed.

Oh... You're talking about software "engineers"...

Oldgunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2018
    GPS signal lost
    They're saying 30m of an N95 mask in an oven at 158f sterilizes them with virtually no loss in filtration.

Also... obviously homemade cloth masks aren't going to stop everything, but they're still helpful. Wife is a seamstress, thinking of pumping some out if there's a hospital or something that would accept them. Lot of unused fabric.
    Emphasis: "Lot of unused fabric."
    It seems that every seamstress (i.e. my wife, my mother) has a HOARD of unused fabric. My wife, cut out fabric and elastic for 132 masks last night--just material she already had!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    That's my birthday! Are you saying you got me a Snake Pliskin? You're the best!
    It was going to be a surprise, but yeah, I got you the Millennial Edition, skinny jeans, I Phone, and sense of entitlement. You’re on your own for the Mom’s Basement playset though.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Emphasis: "Lot of unused fabric."
    It seems that every seamstress (i.e. my wife, my mother) has a HOARD of unused fabric. My wife, cut out fabric and elastic for 132 masks last night--just material she already had!
    Wonder if you could carve up a HEPA filter, and wrap it in cloth?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

She mentioned she saw some patterns like that... that leave a sleeve/pocket area in the mask to add filters.

Well, we don't have a ton of elastic, but I just bought a bunch of hair ties from the dollar store. Should get the job done.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I don’t take it personally, but $1200 isn’t too much to pay for something I have with me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, that I rely on more than any other device I have ever owned.

Yep. And let's also face it, if you're an idiot willing to pay $1000 for a phone, you'll also pay $1200.

Anyhow, I'm all for whatever it takes to get us of the Chinese teat.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://columbiasurgery.org/news/covid-19-update-32420

Doctor giving daily updates from New York's Columbia university hospital.

Sadly I report the first death of someone under 18. Not the only case under 18 in an ICU though. It is becoming more common sadly.
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article241478371.html

LA despite positive case numbers going down due to new testing guidelines there.

As of March 6, five people in the county had been hospitalized at some point with COVID-19. Two weeks later, on Friday, that figure had jumped to 48. By Monday, the total had climbed to 90.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-24/coronavirus-hospitals-los-angeles-county

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I think it is a good idea,just make sure to seal the the edge to the cloth so air is forced through the HEPA(silicone?) and a tight fit with more surface area will make breathing through one easier.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Just an interesting site. Apparently someone developed a wifi compatible thermometer that sends updates to a central server when used. Had no clue these existed.

Looks like Florida is in big trouble by their data.

https://healthweather.us/

Spain is really ramping up testing.
    They will likely pass the USA in confirmed cases in the next 24 hours.
    https://www.rtve.es/noticias/20200324/mapa-del-coronavirus-espana/2004681.shtml
    Over the past 24 hours, Spain has reported nearly 7,000 new cases of coronavirus and 680 new deaths, raising the total to 42,058 cases and 2,991 dead

Spain has 12k less cases confirmed than the USA but 2992 deaths already compared to the USA at 750...I think we may have a reporting problem.

Last edited:

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    By all indications this thing is less deadly than the seasonal flu for people under 60. So if you're under 60 just go about your business. If youre under 60 and want to stay home and can financially stay home then fine stay home. If you over 60 and financially can stay home then stay home. Once this chloronoquine treatment becomes prevalent (maybe already is) this virus will be less deadly than the seasonal flu for people over 60.

That is the rational take on this not lockdown everything like Holcomb is doing.

I’m sure glad you got this figured out. Have you let the White House know?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    They're saying 30m of an N95 mask in an oven at 158f sterilizes them with virtually no loss in filtration.

Also... obviously homemade cloth masks aren't going to stop everything, but they're still helpful. Wife is a seamstress, thinking of pumping some out if there's a hospital or something that would accept them. Lot of unused fabric.

There is a lot of mask making going on around the country.
    https://www.postbulletin.com/news/s...cle_241039e2-6ca7-11ea-9772-fbaf4132d05b.html

Check on line about it. There are specifications out there on the type of cloth that makes the best filters and some good patterns, how-to's and tips, etc.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County

My wife's nursing home would accept them! Most others would also -IMO.

That would be a kind gesture. "Lightweight and soft" material will make a big difference in comfort.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    By 31 May, you’re going to have to bring Snake Plissken out of retirement to get to to the harbor, we’ll have walled that one off by then.

Already called him. He's self-quarantined with Goldie. Not only will NY possibly still be a mess, there may be no ports to even sail to. Let alone the little virus bugs still running around.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    pOIf8VZ.jpg

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    With ANY mask, if it isn't sealed at the edges it isn't going to protect the wearer from breathing in unfiltered air and possibly airborne virus.
    An unsealed mask is still useful but not as good. At least they help keep fingers away from mouth and nose.
    Putting a mask on is trivial. Achieving a good seal is not that easy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom