• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    According to many sources, we are going into a lockdown tonight. Except we can go to the grocery store, go to work if essential, go to the parks, go camping, go fishing, go hiking. Heck of a lockdown.

Most national parks are closed...it appears as if Indiana is taking a different path. Not only are all state parks open,but they are now free...even camping(reservations required).

Weird.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/10342.htm?ut..._medium=&utm_campaign=&utm_term=&utm_content=

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Most national parks are closed...it appears as if Indiana is taking a different path. Not only are all state parks open,but they are now free...even camping(reservations required).

Weird.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/10342.htm?ut..._medium=&utm_campaign=&utm_term=&utm_content=

I don't see what's so weird about it. It's a lot easier to maintain social distancing hiking through the woods or fishing than it is going to Walmart to pick up groceries.

Besides, the buildings/offices/lodges, etc. are closed. No reason to shut down acres of recreational land.

What's open

All DNR properties including state parks, state forests, fish and wildlife areas, nature preserves and state recreation areas.
    Entrance fees at all properties have been temporarily suspended.
    Families will be able to go outside and take a walk, run or bike ride, but they should continue to practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from other people. Entrance fees at properties have been temporarily suspended.

• Campgrounds- OPEN but advance reservations are required. No walk-in camping (camping without a reservation) is permitted. For those who would prefer to cancel or reschedule due to COVID-19, we are committed to waiving fees for cancellations or transfers of reservations and to issuing refunds as requested for campsites held through April 30, 2020. This time frame may be extended as the COVID-19 status evolves.
    • Indiana DNR-managed trails and campgrounds at Brookville, J.E. Roush, Salamonie, Mississinewa, Cecil M. Harden (Raccoon SRA), Cagles Mill (Lieber SRA), Patoka and Monroe lakes (campgrounds, wildlife areas, and boat ramps) remain OPEN. However, public facilities managed directly by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at or below the dams at these lakes (tailwater areas, observation mounds, etc.) are CLOSED.
    • Vault toilets and modern restrooms where available are OPEN. Campground comfort stations will be OPENED on our normal schedule as spring progresses and property use changes. Contact properties directly for specific information. Open restrooms are cleaned and sanitized regularly.
    • Unstaffed archery ranges - OPEN.
    • The Fort Golf Course at Fort Harrison State Park is OPEN with limited hours. Tee times are available from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. The Pro Shop and Garrison are closed with no public access. Payment and reservations can only be made by phone at 317-543-9597. Walking only, no carts, rakes or flags. Please practice social distancing during play. Portable restrooms will be cleaned daily.
    What's closed

• All property offices - CLOSED.
    • Passes and permits can be purchased online at ShopINStateparks.com. Property maps are available online. Office contact information will be provided on doors for those who have specific questions.
    • State park inns and restaurants - CLOSED.
    • Family cabins and camper cabins - CLOSED.
    • Playgrounds, fire towers, and other similar facilities - CLOSED.
    • Welcome Centers, Nature Centers, Historic Buildings and Visitor Centers, Forest Education Centers - CLOSED.
    • Shooting ranges - CLOSED.
    • Shelters, recreation buildings, and other enclosed picnic areas - CLOSED.
    • State Park Inn pools and the aquatic center at Abe Martin Lodge - CLOSED.
    • All group camps, youth tent and rally tent areas - CLOSED.
    • The DNR Customer Service Center in downtown Indianapolis is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC but is still available by telephone.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't see what's so weird about it. It's a lot easier to maintain social distancing hiking through the woods or fishing than it is going to Walmart to pick up groceries.

Besides, the buildings/offices/lodges, etc. are closed. No reason to shut down acres of recreational land.

What's open

All DNR properties including state parks, state forests, fish and wildlife areas, nature preserves and state recreation areas.
    Entrance fees at all properties have been temporarily suspended.
    Families will be able to go outside and take a walk, run or bike ride, but they should continue to practice social distancing by remaining 6 feet away from other people. Entrance fees at properties have been temporarily suspended.

• Campgrounds- OPEN but advance reservations are required. No walk-in camping (camping without a reservation) is permitted. For those who would prefer to cancel or reschedule due to COVID-19, we are committed to waiving fees for cancellations or transfers of reservations and to issuing refunds as requested for campsites held through April 30, 2020. This time frame may be extended as the COVID-19 status evolves.
    • Indiana DNR-managed trails and campgrounds at Brookville, J.E. Roush, Salamonie, Mississinewa, Cecil M. Harden (Raccoon SRA), Cagles Mill (Lieber SRA), Patoka and Monroe lakes (campgrounds, wildlife areas, and boat ramps) remain OPEN. However, public facilities managed directly by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at or below the dams at these lakes (tailwater areas, observation mounds, etc.) are CLOSED.
    • Vault toilets and modern restrooms where available are OPEN. Campground comfort stations will be OPENED on our normal schedule as spring progresses and property use changes. Contact properties directly for specific information. Open restrooms are cleaned and sanitized regularly.
    • Unstaffed archery ranges - OPEN.
    • The Fort Golf Course at Fort Harrison State Park is OPEN with limited hours. Tee times are available from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. The Pro Shop and Garrison are closed with no public access. Payment and reservations can only be made by phone at 317-543-9597. Walking only, no carts, rakes or flags. Please practice social distancing during play. Portable restrooms will be cleaned daily.
    What's closed

• All property offices - CLOSED.
    • Passes and permits can be purchased online at ShopINStateparks.com. Property maps are available online. Office contact information will be provided on doors for those who have specific questions.
    • State park inns and restaurants - CLOSED.
    • Family cabins and camper cabins - CLOSED.
    • Playgrounds, fire towers, and other similar facilities - CLOSED.
    • Welcome Centers, Nature Centers, Historic Buildings and Visitor Centers, Forest Education Centers - CLOSED.
    • Shooting ranges - CLOSED.
    • Shelters, recreation buildings, and other enclosed picnic areas - CLOSED.
    • State Park Inn pools and the aquatic center at Abe Martin Lodge - CLOSED.
    • All group camps, youth tent and rally tent areas - CLOSED.
    • The DNR Customer Service Center in downtown Indianapolis is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC but is still available by telephone.
    Then why did this get sent to me? Who is cleaning anything?
    Some of you know I hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2019 in 5 months and 12 days,I am also apparently on the email list and received this today.
    From the Appalachian trail conservatory.

In these unprecedented times, I am making an unprecedented request: please stay away from the Appalachian Trail (A.T.). Whether your hike is for a couple of hours or a couple of days, staying away from the Trail minimizes the spread or contraction of COVID-19.

In a time when social distancing is necessary to minimize the spread and contraction of a dangerous virus, many have escaped to nature seeking isolation and unpopulated spaces. On the A.T., however, what they’ve found are trailhead parking lots exceeding their maximum capacities, shelters full of overnight hikers, day hikers using picnic tables and privies, and group trips continuing as planned. Popular spots along the Trail like Blood Mountain in Georgia, the McAfee Knob area in Virginia, and Annapolis Rocks in Maryland have seen day use reach record-breaking levels. Cars line the highways leading to popular day-hiking spots on the Trail. Hiking the A.T. has become, in other words, the opposite of social distancing.

These same crowds accessing the A.T. may not know how a simple half-day hike can spread COVID-19. While hiking, they may have eaten lunch at a picnic table, taken a break in a shelter, used a privy, or shared a map or food with someone unknowingly infected with COVID-19 and carried this highly contagious virus back to their communities at the end of the day. They may not have realized that ATC staff and Trail volunteers have been recalled from the A.T. and cannot maintain the footpath, trailheads, shelters and privies that may be heavily (or permanently) impacted by increased visitor use. And, they may not be aware of the rural communities adjacent to the Trail that may not have the healthcare resources to help a sick hiker or volunteer or manage a COVID-19 outbreak should a hiker transport the virus in from the Trail.

Many day hikers see the outdoors as an escape from the stresses of these difficult times. But with crowding from day hikers reaching unmanageable levels and the lack of any staff or volunteers to manage this traffic, it is necessary that all hikers avoid accessing the Trail. The A.T. is not a separate reality from the communities in which hikers live – so, until the risk of spreading COVID-19 has reduced significantly, hiking on a heavily-trafficked trail like the A.T. potentially increases rather than reduces harm.

The ATC does not want to do too little, too late. We cannot close the Trail. We cannot physically bar access to trailheads or connecting trails. We can and do, however, urge everyone to please stay away from the Appalachian Trail until further notice.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I don't see what's so weird about it.

Strikes me as odd since we're not even supposed to be going places if don't have to. I mean, technically, there's really no harm in me just going out for a nice drive, but they're expressly telling us not to do stuff like that.

So... A little weird, IMO.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Then why did this get sent to me? Who is cleaning anything?
    Some of you know I hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2019 in 5 months and 12 days,I am also apparently on the email list and received this today.
    From the Appalachian trail conservatory.

In these unprecedented times, I am making an unprecedented request: please stay away from the Appalachian Trail (A.T.). Whether your hike is for a couple of hours or a couple of days, staying away from the Trail minimizes the spread or contraction of COVID-19.

In a time when social distancing is necessary to minimize the spread and contraction of a dangerous virus, many have escaped to nature seeking isolation and unpopulated spaces. On the A.T., however, what they’ve found are trailhead parking lots exceeding their maximum capacities, shelters full of overnight hikers, day hikers using picnic tables and privies, and group trips continuing as planned. Popular spots along the Trail like Blood Mountain in Georgia, the McAfee Knob area in Virginia, and Annapolis Rocks in Maryland have seen day use reach record-breaking levels. Cars line the highways leading to popular day-hiking spots on the Trail. Hiking the A.T. has become, in other words, the opposite of social distancing.

These same crowds accessing the A.T. may not know how a simple half-day hike can spread COVID-19. While hiking, they may have eaten lunch at a picnic table, taken a break in a shelter, used a privy, or shared a map or food with someone unknowingly infected with COVID-19 and carried this highly contagious virus back to their communities at the end of the day. They may not have realized that ATC staff and Trail volunteers have been recalled from the A.T. and cannot maintain the footpath, trailheads, shelters and privies that may be heavily (or permanently) impacted by increased visitor use. And, they may not be aware of the rural communities adjacent to the Trail that may not have the healthcare resources to help a sick hiker or volunteer or manage a COVID-19 outbreak should a hiker transport the virus in from the Trail.

Many day hikers see the outdoors as an escape from the stresses of these difficult times. But with crowding from day hikers reaching unmanageable levels and the lack of any staff or volunteers to manage this traffic, it is necessary that all hikers avoid accessing the Trail. The A.T. is not a separate reality from the communities in which hikers live – so, until the risk of spreading COVID-19 has reduced significantly, hiking on a heavily-trafficked trail like the A.T. potentially increases rather than reduces harm.

The ATC does not want to do too little, too late. We cannot close the Trail. We cannot physically bar access to trailheads or connecting trails. We can and do, however, urge everyone to please stay away from the Appalachian Trail until further notice.

I guess that's probably good advice if the Appalachian Trail is ******* to elbows like they say it is. I had no idea. Still...Indiana State Parks are not exactly the draw that the Appalachian Trail is. If you can't stay 6 feet away from someone while hiking at Clifty Falls or Turkey Run, I don't know what to tell you.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Strikes me as odd since we're not even supposed to be going places if don't have to. I mean, technically, there's really no harm in me just going out for a nice drive, but they're expressly telling us not to do stuff like that.

So... A little weird, IMO.

Have you seen the list of "essential" businesses and "essential" travel exceptions? It's a joke. It would be easier to list what is NOT open that what is allowed to be open. I'm betting that there aren't many places on the "essential" list that are less likely to be contaminated than Trail #6 at Turkey Run.

If anything, the mental health benefits of getting a break from "quarantine" spending time outdoors is more important than "essentials" like going to the some of the businesses that, in reality, are not that essential.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    HTF are hospitals so unprepared for this sort of thing? In the future will we see "hospital stress tests"?

hospital admins’ heads should roll for being so unprepared, given how inexpensive these masks are, lack of shelf life issues, they don’t take a lot of room to store, etc.

Apparently hospital preparedness is geared towards the known tests, like when they do mass casualty exercises. they need to mix in a little long-term pandemic into the exercise rotation. Maybe then a failing grade would be given for running out of masks after the first 12 hr shift..

lots of lessons will be learned when this is all done, from the government to the medical community, to individuals. Most of those lessons will be ignored.

-rvb

Oldgunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2018
    GPS signal lost
    Lot of people going to be prepared after this is over. Hospitals, civilians, etc... I'm glad for that.
    I think it was Kevin Williamson at National Review who pointed out that the annual natural disasters aren't going to stop during the pandemic. We'll still have tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. So yeah, I think our society will become much more prepared and self-reliant--and not just wrt pandemics.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom