• Status
    Not open for further replies.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    @hough - so sorry to hear about your friends. We'll pray for them.

@qwerty - I don't think the public at large understands how coding works. I've done some of that. If I had a problem that was very similar to the coding problem that I had 15 years ago, I'd start with the code I did 15 years ago. If I was any good at it back then (which I wasn't), I would only have to change some variables, some constants, and probably some output parameters and get it going.

There's literally nothing wrong with using old code.

Now, if his model is wrong/bad/poorly coded, that's a different issue. The code itself doesn't have an expiration date.

Yeah, you are right. The model was only 11-21% off to the + so it was not earth shattering. Still not a fan of Imperial College models, too many unknown variables and assumptions used...and just gets compounded with a virus with it's own unknowns.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, you are right. The model was only 11-21% off to the + so it was not earth shattering. Still not a fan of Imperial College models, too many unknown variables and assumptions used...and just gets compounded with a virus with it's own unknowns.

Agreed - a modeler should get judged by the accuracy of the model.

(Mine, which is oversimplified and reliant on data of unknown provenance, is running <10% on a day to day basis.) ;)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mom's hospital just issued the employees a mask. They are to wear it for the entire 8-14 hour shift... drop it at a specified drop point... where it will be cleaned for re-use.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Is this the policy for direct patient care personnel?

My wife works in a nursing home / rehab. She does not have direct patient contact but is required to wear a mask during working hours. She just paid someone 5 bucks for one that was home made. The shortage is not going away.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mom's hospital just issued the employees a mask. They are to wear it for the entire 8-14 hour shift... drop it at a specified drop point... where it will be cleaned for re-use.

Like... all employees share one mask? Or, I take it one mask per person.

HTF are hospitals so unprepared for this sort of thing? In the future will we see "hospital stress tests"?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Where you're forced to be unarmed around 5000 strangers and the only actual exit is almost certain death.

Short of fighting in a basement
    , a pleasure cruise is the worst tactical situation invented by man.
    Yeah. Just waiting for something to happen.

I've seen all the Jaws movies. I ain't going out there.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well, what I'm hoping for here is the sheeple are pretty keenly aware of the murder virus that China is responsible for, and as this mess gets untangled they're going to figure out this is the third time in 20 years they've sent one out into the word but the first time the media has been concerned about it at all because their guys where in the white house before. They might also notice that despite all of the raving on TV, they've still been able to buy new phones and everything else at the same price they always did even with a large tariff applied to it. That means it's a lot cheaper to make than even they realize and maybe some other country, who is not our largest global enemy, could also make it for the same price.

If the sheeple figure that out, and I believe they're going catch at least half of it (the murder virus is hard to miss), pretty soon Trump saying "F China!" like he has been for the last 3 years is going sound a lot more agreeable. We should have nothing to do with them. I've said it before and I'll say it some more, nukes worked a lot better to topple communism than money has. From the looks of things the nukes were cheaper too.

So, yes, the environmental catastrophe that is Chinese manufacturing aside, I'm really hoping that with just a little more luck and a lot more backbone we're done with those jokers. Done is probably a strong word, but reeling them in a bit for sure.

THIS! Apple absolutely could manufacture the iPhone in the US, and sell it at a profit - it's just that the profit would be lower at the same price, and they would have a harder time playing shell games with the profit. Multinationals have no loyalty

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    THIS! Apple absolutely could manufacture the iPhone in the US, and sell it at a profit - it's just that the profit would be lower at the same price, and they would have a harder time playing shell games with the profit. Multinationals have no loyalty

Yep. And let's also face it, if you're an idiot willing to pay $1000 for a phone, you'll also pay $1200.

Anyhow, I'm all for whatever it takes to get us of the Chinese teat.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom