Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    By all indications this thing is less deadly than the seasonal flu for people under 60. So if you're under 60 just go about your business. If youre under 60 and want to stay home and can financially stay home then fine stay home. If you over 60 and financially can stay home then stay home. Once this chloronoquine treatment becomes prevalent (maybe already is) this virus will be less deadly than the seasonal flu for people over 60.

That is the rational take on this not lockdown everything like Holcomb is doing.

images

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    By all indications this thing is less deadly than the seasonal flu for people under 60. So if you're under 60 just go about your business. If youre under 60 and want to stay home and can financially stay home then fine stay home. If you over 60 and financially can stay home then stay home. Once this chloronoquine treatment becomes prevalent (maybe already is) this virus will be less deadly than the seasonal flu for people over 60.

I think it is premature to draw that conclusion, in such bright line ways.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

That is the rational take on this not lockdown everything like Holcomb is doing.

I personally know 2 people who have tested positive and 3 others in their immediate families that likely will.

While it, indeed, is not deadly to everyone or even most, the 2 people I know are in the hospital. One, a healthy man in his 50s, had it rough for a while, but is recovering. The second, a woman in her 60s is on dialysis because her kidneys shut down ​due to the COVID 19 and is on a ventilator. It is touch and go. While the other members of these households seem to have mild cases, that doesn't change the fact that "seasonal flu" would not normally cause hospitalizations like this.

I am still working, but I am in my office alone having no contact with anyone and following the Executive Order in all respects. I don't see a reason not to. It certainly can't hurt, and it just may help in some way. I agree that this cannot go on indefinitely. My position has always been to use this "shut down" phase to get the materials manufactured and in place and locations prepared, then start loosening up.

As for the medication, hopefully it helps, but it is too soon to tell (stop having so much faith in anecdotal evidence).

However, "just go about your business" as if nothing is wrong? That's actually anti-social and selfish.

I am far from hysterical. I don't get hysterical. Doing what is recommended for a time because it may help others...sounds pretty reasonable from me, which is the opposite of hysterical.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    wanna play word games? fine.

I shelter at home 24/7/365 anyways. we all do.

hows that?

It's not word games, it's reality.

There's no lockdown. There's no enforcement. Some (most?) stores and businesses are open. People are free to go out.

On one hand you're accusing people of being in a "mass hysterical bubble", and on the the other hand you're using language to create one.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    only premature if you're still in the mass hysterical bubble

Have you read my posts? Do you even know me? :D

I'm not hysterical. I'm just tracking the numbers and doing a bit of extrapolation.

With the flu, each year there would be some isolated schools that got shut down or sporting events postponed or played in an empty arena or limited things like that. Those things worked.

Those things are not working, or at least not working yet.

We can walk through the numbers, if you want. :)

Note: you may end up being right. All I'm saying is that you can't reach those conclusions based on objective criteria at the present moment.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    @hough - so sorry to hear about your friends. We'll pray for them.

@qwerty - I don't think the public at large understands how coding works. I've done some of that. If I had a problem that was very similar to the coding problem that I had 15 years ago, I'd start with the code I did 15 years ago. If I was any good at it back then (which I wasn't), I would only have to change some variables, some constants, and probably some output parameters and get it going.

There's literally nothing wrong with using old code.

Now, if his model is wrong/bad/poorly coded, that's a different issue. The code itself doesn't have an expiration date.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It's not word games, it's reality.

There's no lockdown. There's no enforcement. Some (most?) stores and businesses are open. People are free to go out.

On one hand you're accusing people of being in a "mass hysterical bubble", and on the the other hand you're using language to create one.

Maybe he is just used to using the prison terminology.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I realize you're talking about the .gov here, but my employer just went from "come to work if you don't have a fever of more than 100F" to "we're literally locking you out of the building tonight at midnight and turning the alarm on" in 12 hours time.

So... Don't just assume that every business out there is going to be open or available. I won't be able to go to work even if I wanted to (lol.. joke's on them!).

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    @hough - so sorry to hear about your friends. We'll pray for them.

@qwerty - I don't think the public at large understands how coding works. I've done some of that. If I had a problem that was very similar to the coding problem that I had 15 years ago, I'd start with the code I did 15 years ago. If I was any good at it back then (which I wasn't), I would only have to change some variables, some constants, and probably some output parameters and get it going.

Now, if his model is wrong/bad/poorly coded, that's a different issue. The code itself doesn't have an expiration date.

The logic doesn't expire but the language is probably obsolete after 15 years. He probably had to convert it to something more current.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

My Dad wrote the code for several laboratory blood and urine analyzing machines that are still in use. He retired in 2001, so...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The logic doesn't expire but the language is probably obsolete after 15 years. He probably had to convert it to something more current.

The screenshot says it was in C. I haven't been in that world for a long time, but I suspect it wouldn't take much to get it into C#/C++ or whatever. :D

ETA:
    I will criticize him for not commenting it. Unless he's been using it regularly since he wrote it, it'll take some work to remember.

BTDT
    :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I realize you're talking about the .gov here, but my employer just went from "come to work if you don't have a fever of more than 100F" to "we're literally locking you out of the building tonight at midnight and turning the alarm on" in 12 hours time.

So... Don't just assume that every business out there is going to be open or available. I won't be able to go to work even if I wanted to (lol.. joke's on them!).

Like I said, "some".

For them, that might be wise. But that's certainly not what's implied by saying, "The governor has put the state on lockdown."

And as to the, "thousands of lines of undocumented C code that's thirteen years old." - really that applies to 75%+ of anything running software (hint: includes electronic devices and cars, and...). The rest is millions of lines of undocumented C code that just happens to be younger.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The screenshot says it was in C. I haven't been in that world for a long time, but I suspect it wouldn't take much to get it into C#/C++ or whatever. :D

ETA:
    I will criticize him for not commenting it. Unless he's been using it regularly since he wrote it, it'll take some work to remember.

BTDT
    :)

Why would you refactor it to be in C# or C++? If it works, there's no compelling reason to rewrite it.

In fact, we had to rewrite a substantial amount of C++ to be in C because of runtime memory and CPU constraints. Despite the reports to the contrary, C is alive and well.

Poor commenting is a fact of life in software engineering. I know many, many seasoned engineers that write worthless comments in their code. When I train interns and such, I impress on them the need to write full paragraphs explaining why and how the code works.

If my code ever shows up in court, I'm a dead man - there's so, so much sarcasm and social references... There's a lot of good explanations of what I was thinking and why I did what I did, but the comments would be all but useless if they ever hand it over to some Indian coding house.

EDIT: Point of reference, I'm finishing a design - it's just a pushbutton that is connected to a very simple network (think RS-232). It's 45,000+ lines of code (incl. comments).

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Why would you refactor it to be in C# or C++? If it works, there's no compelling reason to rewrite it.

In fact, we had to rewrite a substantial amount of C++ to be in C because of runtime memory and CPU constraints. Despite the reports to the contrary, C is alive and well.

Poor commenting is a fact of life in software engineering. I know many, many seasoned engineers that write worthless comments in their code. When I train interns and such, I impress on them the need to write full paragraphs explaining why and how the code works.

If my code ever shows up in court, I'm a dead man - there's so, so much sarcasm and social references... There's a lot of good explanations of what I was thinking and why I did what I did, but the comments would be all but useless if they ever hand it over to some Indian coding house.

I'm not up to date on whether C/C#/C++ is The Thing these days. I'll defer to you on that. :D

One thing I do miss about that task is making up names for variables and arrays and subroutines. Real opportunity for some artistic irony there.

I tended to over-comment because I wasn't good enough to remember what I was thinking an hour ago when I was in that environment. :D (Usually late at night, strung out on caffeine and carbs.)

ETA:
    Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to use "instantiate" in a legal pleading. ;)

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Like I said, "some".

For them, that might be wise. But that's certainly not what's implied by saying, "The governor has put the state on lockdown."

I fully understand that. I'm just putting it out there that my employer is concerned about the optics of not physically locking their doors during the "lockdown" and I'm sure they won't be alone.

So while the .gov may let you go about as you please, I imagine plenty of businesses aren't going to be there when you show up. So this has further reaching implications than may appear on the surface.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom