• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My understanding is that a death attributed to COVID-19 is chalked up when a previously-identified positive patient dies from complications of the disease. There's a chance that some post-mortem tests are done, but I think that is pretty rare.

So the numbers are probably fairly inaccurate since testing just started in force in the past month.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So the numbers are probably fairly inaccurate since testing just started in force in the past month.

That's one reason.

I think the early cases relied on a "presumptive" metric. If the decedent had traveled from a hard-hit area or been exposed to someone who had, then it was "presumptive."

Since 3/13, I'm pretty sure the presumptive patients have been prioritized for testing.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Capture.jpg

Good on Ford!

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-f-150-respirators-coronavirus

:patriot:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    ??? Subsidizing? That's not really what's happening.

We like consuming stuff. Lot's of stuff. But we don't like the messiness of manufacturing lots of stuff here. We don't like the pollution. We don't like the higher wages that Americans demand. We don't like exploitation of employees. We don't like not regulating the **** out of companies. And we don't like having to pay a lot for our stuff to offset the cost of doing it here to our standards.

But, we don't give a flying **** at all if China is willing to do for [STRIKE]peanuts[/STRIKE] rice, all the things we don't like, for the price of doing it here. It's not in our back yard if it's over there. And it's a **** of a lot cheaper. So companies like Apple build the stuff we like to consume on the cheap, over there, to ship here and sell.

If you want stuff to come back here, some things have to give. We either have to lower our standards or pay more for ****, or some combination of the two. However. This pandemic I think should open some corporation minds to the potential risk of continuing to make all their **** in China. Risk aversion might get companies to put their **** elsewhere. And maybe some of that will end up back here. But I think they'll mostly move it to some other ****hole who doesn't mind doing the things we mind doing here.

Usually when I hear this argument it's from people who are too young to remember that Made in USA used to be the norm, not the exception. Not sure how old you are, but...

I vividly remember my Dad bemoaning the day when he couldn't buy a TV made in the US anymore. TVs didn't get cheaper when it happened (in fact, TV tube production was big business in IN specifically until about 15 years ago). Until 10 years ago you could still buy US made light bulbs. We sued the US gas can industry out of existence. And on and on...

Plus I said the environmental concerns were just one of the ways we're subsidizing them. We're handing our money to a communist regime who steals the profits of industry and their people and uses our money to ship their stuff right back to us for free. How do you think it's possible for me to order a $0.99 pack of paper clips from China, free shipping? That's how. Ever seen what it costs to ship something from the free world?

To top off this point, I also never insisted we bring everything back the US (though that would be great). I'm insisting we stop doing so much business with our single largest global enemy, who also happens to keep releasing death viruses on to the world. I have plenty of LG stuff that would made in South Korea. No complaints from me with the SK gov and the products are price competitive to their Chinese counterparts. Taiwanese products (particularly steel goods, like tools and castings, etc) are pretty damn good these days. There are plenty of minerals to mine in Africa too... We don't need the Chinese nearly as much as you or other people think we do. Somehow we got by for 40 years without much Russia had to offer too... Nukes work better than cash to defeat communism.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If we kill 55 to 65 year olds we will flatten the curve.

Logan's Run.

This is probably the most cynical post I've seen on INGO.

Why don't we do it by race? Or IQ?

Or genetic purity?

Brand them at birth. They get sick or hurt...no treatment. Unless you want to take the next step Adolf.

If it has to be explained to you why a person of 40 or 60 or 80 is as valuable as any other person, then you are lost, amigo. Truly lost.

Nobel prize winners......

nobel_hist_all_prizes.png

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Unless Trump said it was in pool cleaner. If you are smart enough to read the label, then you should know better, if you are not smart enough to read the label, we are indirectly getting rid of the older unnecessary population.

Eh, it's not all that fake. The man's wife who was able to puke up enough of the stuff survived. She said something to the effect that it was Trump's confidence in the cure that caused them to take it. It wasn't just a similarly named chemical. That is the name of the ingredient in the drug. But, to be fair, it's not sane to hear a president praise a drug and take that as an indicator that they should look for every household product that might have the same chemical in it. It's also fair to say that it may be the other things in the fish tank cleaner that killed the man. This is a valid complaint, and I don't want to overstate it, that Trump tends not to understand the weight of what he says as President. Especially for those who believe Trump is almost a god. And it seemed like these folks did when they thought he was saying this chemical would make them invincible against COVID19.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Apparently a quote from Gov. Cuomo, taken from the worldometers site:

Probably "hundreds of thousands of people" have already had Covid-19, didn't know they had it, and recovered. Should be tested for antibodies so they could go back to work and keep the economy going

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That's one reason.

I think the early cases relied on a "presumptive" metric. If the decedent had traveled from a hard-hit area or been exposed to someone who had, then it was "presumptive."

Since 3/13, I'm pretty sure the presumptive patients have been prioritized for testing.

We have had a LOT of presumptive positives turn out negative. Whether because the test isn't perfect, collection of the sample wasn't perfect, or they didn't have it is unclear

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    This is a time for people to have some dignity and police themselves.

By all indications this thing is less deadly than the seasonal flu for people under 60. So if you're under 60 just go about your business. If youre under 60 and want to stay home and can financially stay home then fine stay home. If you over 60 and financially can stay home then stay home. Once this chloronoquine treatment becomes prevalent (maybe already is) this virus will be less deadly than the seasonal flu for people over 60.

That is the rational take on this not lockdown everything like Holcomb is doing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom