Not open for further replies.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    indiana isn't on a curve, we're on a slight hill, unless yesterday was a statistical anomaly. yesterday was 10% more new cases than a week ago april 3. Meh. the two prior days had been down 20%.

During the governor's news conference yesterday, I think the numbers went back 5 days. The day before, they were having trouble getting back results. They would send it to a lab, that lab would have problems and send it to another. That lab would be backlogged.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    For those of you interested in numbers...

Numbers of +COVID from large downtown Indy hospital:

Date= Inpatients (vents):
    3/27= 49 (18)
    3/30= 83 (39)
    4/2= 103 (49)
    4/5=103 (40)
    4/8=109 (38)

- 114 recovered/ discharged home
    - 32 healed at home after visiting ED
    - 27 transitioned off ventilator

- 360 beds w/ICU capabilities

source: Throughput reports and President of the Health Center

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So, yeah, for the most part, I'll be out doing my job, mostly like normal, but with some precautions. I will take those precautions (and not seeing my family for 10 weeks is a precaution, though I view it more as a sacrifice), but I choose not to fear a virus, or fear catching it. Living in such fear is absolutely no way to live life.

One persons precautions is another mans fear.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    There was no narrative then, the Obama friendly media made sure of that.

There was no talk of the healthcare system being overwhelmed during the H1N1 outbreak that I can recall, but I have heard many people claim the media downplayed the entire outbreak. They say there was very little coverage of it in general. I'm not saying that is what you are doing, but it has been a relatively common talking point by those looking to claim media was covering for Obama's slow response.

I worked in broadcast media during that time and I can say first hand that it was a topic we covered non-stop. In fact, I would often complain that we were playing it up too much at the time, trying to stoke fear by claiming the disease was worse than it really was. My tune changed slightly was I contracted H1N1. It was horrible, but I still do mostly think the media coverage was overblown.

At that time the media didn't criticize Obama's every move the way the are with Trump today, but the did cover H1N1 extensively. Anyone claiming otherwise is pushing a revisionist narrative.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    There was no talk of the healthcare system being overwhelmed during the H1N1 outbreak that I can recall, but I have heard many people claim the media downplayed the entire outbreak. They say there was very little coverage of it in general. I'm not saying that is what you are doing, but it has been a relatively common talking point by those looking to claim media was covering for Obama's slow response.

I worked in broadcast media during that time and I can say first hand that it was a topic we covered non-stop. In fact, I would often complain that we were playing it up too much at the time, trying to stoke fear by claiming the disease was worse than it really was. My tune changed slightly was I contracted H1N1. It was horrible, but I still do mostly think the media coverage was overblown.

At that time the media didn't criticize Obama's every move the way the are with Trump today, but the did cover H1N1 extensively. Anyone claiming otherwise is pushing a revisionist narrative.

I think this is pretty accurate. The pandemic itself was covered non-stop. Tying all bad outcomes to the president, and his alleged actions or lack of action, is the main difference.

From what I can tell, the "COVID will overwhelm our healthcare system" narrative is simply part of the "Trump is at fault because he wasn't prepared and reacted too slowly" narrative.

To what degree either Obama or Trump was responsible for failure or success isn't really the point; the media is definitely treating each differently - even if they generally treat each pandemic with the same, expected, sensationalism.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    "elective" surgeries are being pushed back to make room for covid patients etc, it's happening all over.

The surgery would have saved her life. She was told she had to wait because of the current panic guidelines.
    I've seen stories of others dying because they couldn't get their dialysis done.
    I bet the numbers of people that die because of the lockdowns and restrictions will be far greater than what the coronavirus kills in the long run.

This is a small taste of what will happen in a teotwawki event though. Lots of people who would under normal circumstances live long lives, will die within a couple weeks or a month. No medicines, no oxygen, no care, no power to run critical machines etc. Sad but a reality we will have to deal with and prepare for.
    We are seeing some of it now just on a very tiny scale.
    Not that their deaths are insignificant. Its tragic.
    MAKE CHINA PAY DEARLY

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At the end of all of this I'm wondering what sort of increase we will all be looking at in health insurance premiums. The last screwing from obamacare made health insurance my largest expenditure.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    (And responding to T. Lex, too)

You and I are in agreement here, I think. Two thoughts:

1. The public policy arguments to shut down the economy were based on national numbers, not regional. Thus, it is appropriate to respond in terms of national healthcare system capacity.

2. To say that this is even a regional problem, instead of isolated based on areas of mass population density (possibly combined with overall health status of that population) is analogous to saying that firearm-related murders is a regional problem, when in reality 50% of all firearm-related murders happen in 2% of counties.

1: this should not have been expected to destroy rural hospitals

2: I say it's a regional problem as an argument to open up 80% of the country and isolate hot spots

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    At the end of all of this I'm wondering what sort of increase we will all be looking at in health insurance premiums. The last screwing from obamacare made health insurance my largest expenditure.

why? insurance companies are making a KILLING right now. no elective cases. Few ER visits. zero preventative visits

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Many people being tested are showing they've already had and recovered from covid19. Further proving this was here and spreading way before we started locking down. And further proving this virus is much less deadly than alarmists are saying.
    https://chicagocitywire.com/stories...-30-of-those-tested-have-coronavirus-antibody

I think this is very important. This testing needs to be expanded as quickly as possible.
    IF (and this is a huge IF) a positive antibody test really means immunity from COVID-19 for a significant amount of time and IF the virus doesn't mutate to some other deadly variety then we are in better shape than previously thought and closer to opening up the country. Of course still at the risk of us old farts.

No matter what this shows I think I am destined to be pretty much in isolation mode until a good vaccine is available.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    1: this should not have been expected to destroy rural hospitals

Ask the typical Quarantine Karen if she understands this nuance, and I'll guarantee you'll get a blank stare in return. You and I both get this, but it isn't how it has been breathlessly reported to the masses.

2: I say it's a regional problem as an argument to open up 80% of the country and isolate hot spots

Again, I agree with you. Perhaps I got a bit pedantic with terminology (and really just wanted to make the firearm death localization analogy).

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think this is very important. This testing needs to be expanded as quickly as possible.
    IF (and this is a huge IF) a positive antibody test really means immunity from COVID-19 for a significant amount of time and IF the virus doesn't mutate to some other deadly variety then we are in better shape than previously thought and closer to opening up the country. Of course still at the risk of us old farts.
    Yep agreed. But many older folks have had it and recovered too on their own. So its actually very good news for older HEALTHY folks who can fight off the virus. This lowers the death rates for all ages. Very good news.
    I'm not advocating to not take precautions. Everyone still should be wearing a mask. Sanitizing packages and groceries. Limiting outside exposure.
    I strongly believe I've had it already but I am still taking all precautions. Better safe than sorry, but we do need to get the country moving again. We can do it safely now.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yeah, like Hoosierdoc said, not very many people are costing the insurance companies money right now, so probably no premium increases.

Unrelated to healthcare, but we have our home and auto insurance with Safeco. I got an email today from them saying that since so many people are staying off the roads, they are going to do a partial refund of auto premiums paid amounting to approximately 20%.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

I'm claiming otherwise and it's not revisionist, there was coverage but it was buried in the news feeds which pretty much equals no coverage in reality.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm claiming otherwise and it's not revisionist, there was coverage but it was buried in the news feeds which pretty much equals no coverage in reality.

The affiliate I worked for had daily swine flu coverage for months.

A simple YouTube search will show plenty of instances of MSM outlets covering swine flu. Again, they didn't scrutinize Obama's every update or decision, but the coverage was not "buried in the news feeds." It was framed much differently, but it was widely covered.

[video=youtube_share;s4wRNG3Aon4]http://youtu.be/s4wRNG3Aon4[/video]

[video=youtube_share;4crIcBIU78I]http://youtu.be/4crIcBIU78I[/video]

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Yep agreed. But many older folks have had it and recovered too on their own. So its actually very good news for older HEALTHY folks who can fight off the virus. This lowers the death rates for all ages. Very good news.
    I'm not advocating to not take precautions. Everyone still should be wearing a mask. Sanitizing packages and groceries. Limiting outside exposure.
    I strongly believe I've had it already but I am still taking all precautions. Better safe than sorry, but we do need to get the country moving again. We can do it safely now.

I just checked here and I do not qualify to get the recently developed wuhan virus antibody test at this time. I am hoping the test becomes more widely available within some reasonable time frame.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom