Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Why is that odd? When did you make most of the money in your life? Before your 30th birthday, or after? ;)

Workers is not as important as earners.

You can't magically have a 20 something doing the same thing a 40 something was doing, for the same quality. Let alone a 30 something and a 50 something.

The death of a 50 something takes more out of the economy NOW and for the next 10 years than the death of a 20 something. Longer than that, sure. But that then extends the economic recovery by a similar number.

I believe that the primary/peak income-earning years (not the same thing as wealth-earning, but I digress) are 40 - 60.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    But if the question involves an assessment of the US workforce, a cohort of 30-69 is relevant. Do we really want to argue if that comprises the highest wage earners? Both collectively and individually? And produces the most business owners?

Again, IIRC, the highest wage-earners are 40-60. What is the percentage of all population of ages 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, and 60-69 who are working?

Employment by age:

15 - 24: 51%
    25 - 54: 80%
    55 - 64: 64%

[Source]

According to BLS:

60 - 64: 56%
    65 - 69: 33.3%

Retirement starts happening in earnest in that 60-69 age group.

The average age of small business owners appears to be about 52 years old.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    How about some good news? Well, those that remember me posting about my niece, she is stateside and on her way back to Iowa.

The New Zealand post:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...I don't even know why this is a point of contention.

Do we seriously think that damaging the economy with indefinite stay-at-home orders is LESS damaging than whatever the death toll from actual earners would be?

And what is the guarantee that both don't happen?

Finally, I once again ask, how many of the 30-69 deaths were earners? If we are going to go down this path, this is relevant.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's where I looked the numbers were nowhere close to what you posted, i'm not sure what you were looking at?

You may need to refresh?

Hough posted exactly the same thing I was looking at.

Seems odd to group 30-69:

Annotation-2020-04-09-095902.jpg

So 12ish% under 59...and in Indiana currently, that would be about 30 people.

Yeah, I have other concerns than a lack of workers.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    I am in the Andrew Yang/Chamath Palihapitiya camp. Get everyone's w-2s from last year and if they have lost their job let the feds pay everyone their monthly wages from last year.

I resemble that remark. How about getting my W2s from 3 years ago before I retired and pay me at that rate since I lost my job when I left the company? That’ll really help the retirement income! Talk about creating a nanny state! Your and Yang’s approach will bankrupt the country. Welcome to Venezuela.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Do we seriously think that damaging the economy with indefinite stay-at-home orders is LESS damaging than whatever the death toll from actual earners would be?
    Based on what I observe, yes. The risk to the economy of what we are doing now is less than the risk of doing nothing about the virus.

And what is the guarantee that both don't happen?
    There are 2 guarantees in life: death and taxes. And I'm not completely sure of the former.

Indeed, under either scenario, both a 7 figure body count and crippling economic depression may happen. As you note, it is an assessment of risk. The current/or near-current strategies appear to present a lower body count and a recoverable economic depression.

We won't ever really know if a different strategy early on would've made a "better" result.

Finally, I once again ask, how many of the 30-69 deaths were earners? If we are going to go down this path, this is relevant.
    Might as well ask how many COVID patients are in critical condition. Those numbers aren't available, that I can find.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You chose to retire.

The government mantra is to help businesses who through no fault of their own yada yada. Instead of businesses do it for the individuals until they open up the economy.

I resemble that remark. How about getting my W2s from 3 years ago before I retired and pay me at that rate since I lost my job when I left the company? That’ll really help the retirement income! Talk about creating a nanny state! Your and Yang’s approach will bankrupt the country. Welcome to Venezuela.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance.

Guess which one this thread in in now. (just like clockwork)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No, that's what I was looking at, I was thinking you said 30-60 yo not 30-69, a better way to report it would be that 87.8% of deaths have been those over 60 years old.

Thank you for your feedback.

But the discussion was related to the workforce. Seemed to me that 30-69 covers most of the workforce.

And to chip's point, the ISDH data is not particularly granular. It is 10 year increments. Nothing I can do about that.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    No, that's what I was looking at, I was thinking you said 30-60 yo not 30-69, a better way to report it would be that 87.8% of deaths have been those over 60 years old.
    According to the graph my age range makes up 2% of the deaths. I’m not much of a gambler, and 2% is still enough odds for me to spaz about and take every precaution i can.

Almost everybody at work is over 50. Only 3 people here under 40. If someone here were to become infected it could potentially run us out of business. If we lost 3 people they’d be hard to replace

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think the INGOers in Denial and the INGOers in Acceptance are finding the least amount of common ground. ;)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Edited - never mind, trying to start a humorous interlude, but I'm not sure it comes across that way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom