Not open for further replies.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think there’s beauty of gray (who can name the band from that song reference?). It doesn’t have to be either all locked down or completely back to normal, black or white. Let retailers open, let people back to work. Encourage masks, social distancing, try to limit to essential shopping trips and combining trips, etc. encouraging working from home when possible. Let people resume their necessary medical treatments and evaluations within reason (the small filling I need in my tooth can wait). Keeps schools closed, stick ball can be televised w.o the stadium crowds, request churches continue with live-streaming services, etc. most importantly, keep the nursing homes locked down, don’t visit grandma and grandpa if you can help it, etc. Let’s relax a LITTLE for a couple weeks and see what happens to the numbers (both of cv19 cases/fatalities as well as the market/unemployment)

-rvb
    This is what I think its gonna take. This is the solution that works.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    There does not appear to be published support for that. But, I'm waiting for more information on that.

But, let's work with that.

Option A: try to save as many lives as possible, by sacrificing the economy.
    Option B: save the economy as much as possible, by sacrificing the max number of people... who make up that economy.

Look, both options involve at least a recession, if not a depression. But, one of those options leaves the country with a better chance of re-making the economy.

This whole thing sucks. There's no easy answer. But, failing to plan is planning to fail.
    With the population (age) this targets the most I dont believe even with the number of deaths you predict this would impact the economy in the same way as keeping the economy shut down.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    If we go to war with China over this, what’s stopping them from releasing more viruses from their labs? Look at the damage economically this one has done. It’s showed the Chinese how quick and easily we can be brought to our knees. I bet this happens again in the near future.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    There does not appear to be published support for that. But, I'm waiting for more information on that.

But, let's work with that.

Option A: try to save as many lives as possible, by sacrificing the economy.
    Option B: save the economy as much as possible, by sacrificing the max number of people... who make up that economy.

Look, both options involve at least a recession, if not a depression. But, one of those options leaves the country with a better chance of re-making the economy.

This whole thing sucks. There's no easy answer. But, failing to plan is planning to fail.

Option C: The same number of people die, but over a longer period of time, and the economy crashes anyway.

On the plus side, we now know our tolerance for government edicts.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If we go to war with China over this, what’s stopping them from releasing more viruses from their labs? Look at the damage economically this one has done. It’s showed the Chinese how quick and easily we can be brought to our knees. I bet this happens again in the near future.
    We have bad stuff too.
    I think we have things we could do to China that they wouldn't want any part of.
    Chinas government was in real danger of being overturned.
    I think they did this to the world to save themselves.
    I hope it destroys them

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Sure - put the young people back to work - they can bring me food and toilet paper.

What are the statistics saying about the population that is working in the "essential" places?
    It doesn't sound so good in the food processing plants. They have a few positive COVID-19 cases and then the other employees walk out and don't want to work anymore. How would that play out if more businesses were unrestricted? Would they stay open or walk out?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    With the population (age) this targets the most I dont believe even with the number of deaths you predict this would impact the economy in the same way as keeping the economy shut down.

Do you have any math to support this?

As I just noted for Hough, in Indiana about 1/3 of the dead people are between 30-69.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

As I just noted for Hough, in Indiana about 1/3 of the dead people are between 30-69.
    You cant lump 30 all the way up to 69. That's way too broad of a range.

Hey maybe after this humans dont live to 90 anymore. The average age of living had been on the decline anyways.
    Live it up while you are young :):

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    We have bad stuff too.
    I think we have things we could do to China that they wouldn't want any part of.
    Chinas government was in real danger of being overturned.
    I think they did this to the world to save themselves.
    I hope it destroys them

I 100% agree. This was intentional and they need to pay for it somehow, someway. I’m more concerned with the longevity of what happened. Every country watched America’s economy drop from the strongest it’s been in a LONG time. Now if they ever plan to attack us, this would likely be their pre-attack. Collapse our economy, have everyone scared to leave their house, food shortages, etc. then swoop in and bomb. I see this becoming a big issue soon.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I 100% agree. This was intentional and they need to pay for it somehow, someway. I’m more concerned with the longevity of what happened. Every country watched America’s economy drop from the strongest it’s been in a LONG time. Now if they ever plan to attack us, this would likely be their pre-attack. Collapse our economy, have everyone scared to leave their house, food shortages, etc. then swoop in and bomb. I see this becoming a big issue soon.
    I'm certain this is the catalyst to WWIII.
    This is like the assasination of the arch duke Ferdinand

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    2% have been 39 to 50.
    The vast majority are over 70

Hey maybe after this humans dont live to 90 anymore. The average age of living had been on the decline anyways.

First, my social circle includes many post-60 year olds who are absolutely working and spending money - often discretionary income on grandchildren. Social Security and pensions aren't what they used to be. (Sidenote, 60 is seeming younger and younger to me every day.)

Second, according to the ISDH, 4% of deaths are between 30-50, ~7.5% 50-59, and 18% 60-69. So, not sure where your 2% number comes from.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

**** I’m 32 and been stressed the last few months about dying! LOL. Not from the Covid, got some throat stuff going on. Ear and throat burning like hell, red streaks in my throat, can’t get it to get better. Of course dr. Google is the devil.

Anymore I’m not sure age is significant given all the crap out there that can kill us. I’ve had 2 friends die and a little cousin that lived with me. It’s made me pretty paranoid of death

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

As far as math, no.
    I have none.
    I'm basing my statement on the average retirement age that people start to draw their retirements and social security.
    The work force is made up more of younger workers than older ones in that high risk age group of 70+
    Since we are talking strictly economic impact.
    I'm not implying older people aren't valuable. This is strictly economic numbers we are talking.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Based on Indiana numbers, about 30% of deaths have been aged 30-69.

Seems odd to group 30-69:

Annotation-2020-04-09-095902.jpg

So 12ish% under 59...and in Indiana currently, that would be about 30 people.

Yeah, I have other concerns than a lack of workers.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    As far as math, no.
    I have none.
    I'm basing my statement on the average retirement age that people start to draw their retirements and social security.
    The work force is made up more of younger workers than older ones in that high risk age group of 70+
    Since we are talking strictly economic impact.
    I'm not implying older people aren't valuable. This is strictly economic numbers we are talking.
    But also, most of the business owners and investors are in the older generation. Not saying their businesses and money would vanish if they passed, but we’ve all seen someone get left an inheritance that blew it. Usually on hookers and cocaine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom