• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Reporting these as total infections/deaths, rather than on a per capita basis, makes them largely meaningless.

Comparing Singapore to the US is approximately like comparing Minnesota to the US as a whole.

What was interesting in the Singapore study to me is that viral transmission can occur 1 to 3 days prior to the onset of symptoms AND, talking/singing can be a transmission vector.

I told my wife to keep quiet from this point forward. Small blessing.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You're still free to move about for essential things, grocery store, gas, pharmacy and other needed things.

If you're your freedom loving butt feels the need to go buy something that there is no immediate need for other than because you want it, then you and others like you are part of the problem. This is the same attitude that was taken by the thousands of people who decided to take a cruise or go on spring break and coming into contact with a infected person.

My favorite quote from the Movie Hoosiers....

Look, mister, there's... two kinds of dumb, uh... guy that gets naked and runs out in the snow and barks at the moon, and, uh, guy who does the same thing in my living room. First one don't matter,
    the second one you're kinda forced to deal with.

Your need to "Feel free to roam out and about for no reason other than "it's my constitutional rights" Is exactly why there is a problem of with the spread of this virus.
    I have no problem with people moving about for essential needs, it's the one who goes to buy a DVD, gets infected because some infected fool coughed on that DVD that the person infected all he has contact with.

You are no help to your family and loved ones if if you get infected, you more than likely have endangered all around you and the 10X factor.

Actions have consequences.

Did you even read what I posted? Those calling for total military style lockdowns are just as wrong as business as usual...

And just who the hell do we make God to decide what is essential?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

This actually illustrates my point, precisely.

The breathless headlines about the US rate and total infection/death numbers being OMG SO HIGH!!!111!1!!! disappear when reviewing the numbers per capita.

In other words: relevant view of the data (i.e. per capita) doesn't fit the narrative.

My argument is not that population affects pace of spread; rather, that the US is no worse - and in fact, significantly better - than most countries.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    And just who the hell do we make God to decide what is essential?

We do, when we vote. Thats why when we vote we need to think about the what if’s. What if “A” happens, do we trust “X” or “Y” to handle it better and make better decisions? We gave them the power to decide what is “essential” when we casted our vote for them.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    https://tennesseestar.com/2020/04/0...tornado-devastation-and-coronavirus-pandemic/

Is there anyone here who believes this won’t become more common as this drags on? The government (federal or state) doesn’t like to miss meals...they’re going to eat...and you’re going to keep it fed.

I heard Pete the Planner (financial planner guy) talking about this on Fox59 this morning. He was raising the point that this drop in tax revenue may be the thing that pushes the legislature toward legalizing marijuana sales.

He theorized that our history of fiscal responsibility as a state has prevented us for looking at legal weed as a potential revenue booster like some of states have (*cough, Illinois, *cough).

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/comet-atlas-will-it-become-a-naked-eye-object/

Nothing to do with the virus,but if you are at home and have a night time view it will be worth watching.
    You can already see it with 50x binoculars.
    They are estimating it will end up being 5 times as bright in the night sky as Jupiter,or a once in a century brightness comet.

I have posted a bit on the malaria drugs and studies in other countries. I was told to let people have hope by some fellow INGO members.This is a different break down of the latest study(not me doing it personally,but points out some of the same things I pointed out about the first study).
    I think the truth is more important. https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeli...e-on-cloroquine-azithromycin-and-on-dr-raoult

If we get a drug therapy that works well for anyone,and I mean truly works well trust me I will post it asap. Cloroquine and zinc do not look to be that.

Which is why [FONT=&amp]DR. BIRX at the White House briefing said we do not have a therapy that works and no magical vaccine or therapy. Followed by doctor [/FONT][FONT=&amp]DR. FAUCI agreeing with that. [/FONT]

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41421-020-0156-0
    Hydroxychloroquine, a less toxic derivative of chloroquine, is effective in inhibiting SARS-CoV-2 infection in vitro

Clinical investigation found that high concentration of cytokines were detected in the plasma of critically ill patients infected with SARS-CoV-2, suggesting that cytokine storm was associated with disease severity. Other than its direct antiviral activity, HCQ is a safe and successful anti-inflammatory agent that has been used extensively in autoimmune diseases and can significantly decrease the production of cytokines and, in particular, pro-inflammatory factors. Therefore, in COVID-19 patients, HCQ may also contribute to attenuating the inflammatory response. In conclusion, our results show that HCQ can efficiently inhibit SARS-CoV-2 infection in vitro. In combination with its anti-inflammatory function, we predict that the drug has a good potential to combat the disease. This possibility awaits confirmation by clinical trials.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I am astounded at you law dogs in all this lockdown stuff. How is any of it constitutional?

Ok lets say you're driving through an area that is under lockdown but is riddled with all kinds of exceptions for essential this and essential that.

Now you get pulled over by police. What is the reasonable articulable suspicion for the initial detainment?

Police Officer comes up to your windows asks for DL and registration and proceeds to play 20 questions.

You decide to exercise your right not to self incriminate. You invoke your right to legal counsel.

Officer ends up deciding to arrest you for violation of this lockdown order.

Where is the evidence the prosecutor would present?

They cant prove or disprove you did or did not fall into one of the many exceptions for travel under the lockdown order.

(and thats assuming the governor or local officials have any authority to mandate a lockdown outside of declaring martial law anyways.)

Stopping a car to check for violation is still unconstitutional. Much like checking for drivers licenses and handgun licenses. So, the officer needs a valid stopping charge first.

Look up Indiana code IC 10-14-3-12

https://statecodesfiles.justia.com/indiana/2015/title-10/article-14/chapter-3/chapter-3.pdf

Here is the actual declaration.

https://www.in.gov/gov/files/20-02E...nofPublicHealthEmergencyforCOVID-19)FINAL.pdf

What question do you want answered? "How is any of this constitutional?" I've answered that. Feds don't have the power. States have "general police powers" which is essentially any power not prohibited them by law, their own constitution of the U.S. Constitution. Indiana, for instance, has a statute that allows the Governor to issue the orders he has. Under Jacobson v. Massachusetts, states can, essentially, regulate public health in this manner as long as their restrictions are reasonable related to a genuine health issue.

Now, are local governments (Howard County comes to mind) doing stupid things that are probably illegal? Seems like it.

Now, you hypothetical scenario? Get back to me when it's not hypothetical. Too many variables.

u0RSY6m.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Which doesn't mention crew size.

General articles about lake boats don't mention crew size, but there were a number of accidents in the late 50s thru the early 80s when most or all hands were lost and the toll is listed as '28 of 29 hands lost'. Of the six accidents listed all the boats had crew sizes of between 29 and 35 hands, and more modern boats may be more automated and have even smaller crew complements

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    General articles about lake boats don't mention crew size, but there were a number of accidents in the late 50s thru the early 80s when most or all hands were lost and the toll is listed as '28 of 29 hands lost'. Of the six accidents listed all the boats had crew sizes of between 29 and 35 hands, and more modern boats may be more automated and have even smaller crew complements

29 died on the Edmund Fitzgerald.

[video=youtube_share;9vST6hVRj2A]http://youtu.be/9vST6hVRj2A[/video]

Last edited:

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Stopping a car to check for violation is still unconstitutional. Much like checking for drivers licenses and handgun licenses. So, the officer needs a valid stopping charge first.

Look up Indiana code IC 10-14-3-12

https://statecodesfiles.justia.com/indiana/2015/title-10/article-14/chapter-3/chapter-3.pdf

Here is the actual declaration.

https://www.in.gov/gov/files/20-02E...nofPublicHealthEmergencyforCOVID-19)FINAL.pdf

u0RSY6m.gif

FWIW, the Superintendent of State Police sent a memo out to all Law Enforcement Agencies last week addressing the Order from the Governor and the enforcement of it. Here is a small excerpt:
    Under Title 10 law.enforcement authorities have the power to enforce any order, rule, and regulation issued by the Governor. Ind. Code §10-14-3-24. A person who knowingly,intentionally, or recklessly violates this chapter, commits a Class B misdemeanor. Ind. Code § I 0-14-3-34. Therefore, if an individual is known to be violating the Stay at Home Executive
    Order, a Class B misdemeanor may be charged.
    Therefore, effective 11 :59 p.m. on March 24, 2020, until 11 :59 p.m. on April 6, 2020, if you have reason to engage with a member of the traveling public, remind those individuals of the
    Governor's Stay at Home Order and travel ban and direct them to return home immediately if not engaged in Essential Business/ Activities or Travel. If an individual is found to be violating the Stay at Home Order and knowingly refuses to comply with your lawful order to return home, they may be charged with a misdemeanor for violation of IC 10-14-3-34. However, I would
    expect you to use your discretion wisely by only issuing a summons to those who make it absolutely necessary for you to act. Outright arrests should only be made in extraordinary
    circumstances. Note, you shall not stop individuals merely for traveling on Indiana roadways; you must have either a "good faith belief' an infraction has been committed by the individual; or at least reasonable suspicion the individual is committing or has committed a crime to justify a "Terry Stop" on the individual or vehicle.

I am guessing that most agencies realize that enforcement is limited since most jails are currently doing book and release or asking to PR from the scene for minor crimes. Some counties have recently suspended warrant service except for Felony, OWI, or Domestic Crimes. It is fun to see folks freaking out about it, but I have been doing this going on for 30 years....it would be a very small minority of LEO there should be a concern of, and that group is getting smaller from my experience.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hey qwerty - I watch that Worldometers stat for "serious/critical" cases. Would you be willing to start tracking that daily? I'm curious about how that relates to daily deaths, but I can't find a consistent metric for the critical cases.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It certainly had better remake our manufacturing base. This crap of counting on nearly everything we need and use to be imported,well it is not working at all.
    Loads of regulations have fallen away. Did you see the EPA emission rules where rolled back yesterday? Just one example. So that is a bit of good news in my opinion.

The article of course claims Trump just killed the planet because auto emission rules rolled back. I do not believe that though.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/climate/trump-fuel-economy.html

Since we are more dependent on trucking than ever, I would like to see them ease up on Gliders so more long term reliable units can be put on the road

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Since we are more dependent on trucking than ever, I would like to see them ease up on Gliders so more long term reliable units can be put on the road

The EPA is expected in June to release it's proposed emissions standard for 2024 model trucks. It will be interesting to see what they propose.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Obama, Susan Rice, et al need to STFU.

If you aren't part of the solution to the current pandemic, get the **** out of the way and STFU. If you don't, you might just get run over.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I would like to see them ease up on truck emissions, period, so that gliders aren't even a focus anymore. Even with 2007 emissions, there were parts of CA that had air pollutant levels that were in fact higher than the exhaust emission levels allowable by the engines. Yes, you read that right, the trucks were literally scrubbing the air cleaner than when they started by simply driving around. That's stupid. The few dozen counties in the US that have those pollution problems need to get their s*** together so the rest of the country doesn't have to suffer from their stupidity. The cost of a new truck has increased radically because of this idiocy so the fleet is just getting older and less reliable, meanwhile fuel economy went down in many cases, while we're counting on the fleet more and more every day.

It's been awhile since I had much to do in the trucking world, so things may have changed, but 10 years ago it was a horror show of stupidity and given the glider loophole everyone in the industry is talking about, I'm betting its not much different now.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Hey qwerty - I watch that Worldometers stat for "serious/critical" cases. Would you be willing to start tracking that daily? I'm curious about how that relates to daily deaths, but I can't find a consistent metric for the critical cases.

I added it but the data will only start for yesterday. I have been looking for a good dataset but serious/critical/hospitalizations are nearly non-existent. If someone finds one, shoot it my way please but I am thinking that it is not going to be accurate in any way, shape or form.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom