• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If he never took a knee and played the same he'd be out of the league. Check the contract situations of the guys you mentioned. Kap sucks at football. He's no more than another runner QB who gets figured out by the rest of the league (and maybe not even that: the first three years he started was the Harbaugh era in SF. As soon as Harbaugh left, Kap and the rest of the team sank back to their garbage-ity). He may have even been advised to start some kind of show in order to save his job - similar to that openly gay kid who found enough political sympathy to get drafted.

Even if we grant that QBR is the most important rating a QB can have, 23rd in the league isnt mediocre. Its back of the pack.

Also, if kneeling during the anthem was such a huge deal, why arent the owners cutting everyone - or at least way more players? Why are owners standing out there with their players? Its mostly a non issue. In the NFL its about winning.
    You know he is only willing to play for some minimum amount of money? I don't know how anyone can say he isn't good enough to make a team. The Bears have Mark frickin Sanchez on the team. Kap is better than Sanchez any day. Having said that, he is not good enough to warrant putting up with the baggage he brings even is he offered to play for free.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You know he is only willing to play for some minimum amount of money? I don't know how anyone can say he isn't good enough to make a team. The Bears have Mark frickin Sanchez on the team. Kap is better than Sanchez any day. Having said that, he is not good enough to warrant putting up with the baggage he brings even is he offered to play for free.

:yesway:

A mediocre QB is better than the worst QB in the NFL. For starters, maybe it's Jake Bortles. Although, Eli Manning sometimes makes me scratch my head. But if we're going to include all of them, yeah, the butt-fumbler is hard to be at being worst.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

A mediocre QB is better than the worst QB in the NFL. For starters, maybe it's Jake Bortles. Although, Eli Manning sometimes makes me scratch my head. But if we're going to include all of them, yeah, the butt-fumbler is hard to be at being worst.
    It blew me away when they signed him. What does he possibly have to offer a NFL team? I'd rather have some unknown undrafted rookie than Sanchez.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There are 32 teams in the NFL. That would indicate to me, that there are 3 NFL teams with QBs not good enough to play in the NFL. One should also qualify that you're speaking of "starting" QBs, not back ups, nor third-stringers, who assumedly would be worse than the the starting QBs. I think one, easily, would come to the conclusion that Kap isn't in the league more for his public displays, rather than his ability. Which of course is the prerogative of the NFL owners.

IMO you are missing/discounting the temporal component. His stats were bad long before his knee was dirty. I think he could see the handwriting and either the protest was a way to make it harder for the 69ers to trade him or he saw he was unlikely to have such a public platform for any protest going forward and took his shot. Or both

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    IMO you are missing/discounting the temporal component. His stats were bad long before his knee was dirty. I think he could see the handwriting and either the protest was a way to make it harder for the 69ers to trade him or he saw he was unlikely to have such a public platform for any protest going forward and took his shot. Or both
    I don't think he had any such grandiose plans. His kneeling wasn't flashy or demanding of attention. The media is what blew it up into what it became. Once they blew it up he took full advantage of the spotlight.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Two words, Ryan Leaf!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...nning-of-nfls-us-popularity-decline/23236112/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...onal-anthem-protests/?s=trending#4b2a54013657

So the NFL has found one of the only ways it could to upset most of its fans?
    I guess most sponsors and ads sign a year to year next year is not looking good.

Talk about crapping where you eat. As misguided as it was, at least Kaepernick's protest was from a genuine belief in something. I wonder if the current players protesting actually believe in a cause, or if they're simply thumbing their nose at trump.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Talk about crapping where you eat. As misguided as it was, at least Kaepernick's protest was from a genuine belief in something. I wonder if the current players protesting actually believe in a cause, or if they're simply thumbing their nose at trump.
    When they start throwing their helmet and telling the fans to eff off... it might be time to reevaluate.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I truly think this is what most of the current "PROTESTING" is about. It really dug in when Trump called them out on it.
    They are killing the golden goose. I would think their reps would get a handle on them.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I truly think this is what most of the current "PROTESTING" is about. It really dug in when Trump called them out on it.
    They are killing the golden goose. I would think their reps would get a handle on them.

it absolutely picked up steam when Trump chimed in. Before that it was sporadic and not widespread. The weekend right after Trump tweeeted was when you saw widespread protests. I think the owners "allowed" it for that one week but now you see them scrambling to come up with ways to let players protest before the anthem but not during it. It's all for show at this point.

But the damage has been done. NFL owners should have known that this nonsense does not play well with their core audience.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    it absolutely picked up steam when Trump chimed in. Before that it was sporadic and not widespread. The weekend right after Trump tweeeted was when you saw widespread protests. I think the owners "allowed" it for that one week but now you see them scrambling to come up with ways to let players protest before the anthem but not during it. It's all for show at this point.

But the damage has been done. NFL owners should have known that this nonsense does not play well with their core audience.

They should know. That they do not shows how out of touch those people really are. They live in a bubble. The bubble is getting popped.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's like the deli owner in Chicago who tried to beg his patrons for forgiveness. By tweeting what he did, he told them what he thinks of them. Once someone let's you know he hates you, there's no apology that will make you want to associate with him. The NFL is learning the same lesson. There's not just a social cost to politicizing everything. There's a financial one too.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    They should know. That they do not shows how out of touch those people really are. They live in a bubble. The bubble is getting popped.

Let me see if I understand where we are at the moment. You have a group of NFL players staging a protest during the National Anthem because this Country, in their opinion, has a problem with the way minorities are treated, but instead of getting the problem addressed in any constructive manner, what they have managed to accomplish is nurturing a hated for their own private millionaires club and their form of protest.

odKw6md.gif

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom