• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Many police department s have a very poor history with their communities they serve. These "histories" lead to a distrust of the police and a police distrust of the public...lose-lose situation. The time for pointing fingers is coming to an end and we must open communications, even if we have to take the first step and reach out to a hostile audience. I see the future of policing in the US as a move BACK to the 9 Peelian Principles that were so well stated 180 years ago. The closer to these we stay, the better off we will all be...especially #7.

• The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.
    • The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions.
    • Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.
    • The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.
    • Police seek and preserve public favour not by catering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.
    • Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient.
    • Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
    • Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.
    • The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Many police department s have a very poor history with their communities they serve. These "histories" lead to a distrust of the police and a police distrust of the public...lose-lose situation. The time for pointing fingers is coming to an end and we must open communications, even if we have to take the first step and reach out to a hostile audience. I see the future of policing in the US as a move BACK to the 9 Peelian Principles that were so well stated 180 years ago. The closer to these we stay, the better off we will all be...especially #7.

• The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.
    • The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions.
    • Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.
    • The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.
    • Police seek and preserve public favour not by catering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.
    • Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient.
    • Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.
    • Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.
    • The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.

You're making me count dots. But +1.
    Why are you teaching at an academy someplace? You get it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't know much about this. But it seems very reasonable. If these points were articulated 180 years ago, why are we not doing them now?i

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You're making me count dots. But +1.
    Why are you teaching at an academy someplace? You get it.
    Ha, I do when I can get away from shift. I am currently teaching Mental Health First Aid to our officers and will be teaching Surviving Verbal Conflicts next year to the Dept. I applied to and should be moving to our academy as a full-time instructor sometime in the near future.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ha, I do when I can get away from shift. I am currently teaching Mental Health First Aid to our officers and will be teaching Surviving Verbal Conflicts next year to the Dept. I applied to and should be moving to our academy as a full-time instructor sometime in the near future.

We need more like you.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We need more like you.

Yes. Yes we do.

Oh jeez. Now he's gonna think he's special.

And he's going to Denny all of the discussions at the academy!

Y4TDX4z.gif

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't know much about this. But it seems very reasonable. If these points were articulated 180 years ago, why are we not doing them now?i

I'm not a police officer, so my opinion means nothing.
    But I'm thinking
    Police often deal with people at their worse. As bad as murderers, rapists, child molesters... down to flat tires, informing people of deaths, handing out tickets.
    Those people tend to "behave badly".
    Dealing with that, day after day, year after year
    It's probably easy to fall into the easy route.
    Which is NOT those points. Those points require effort/work.

I'm not pointing fingers and blame.
    I have been guilty myself at work, when bosses or workers are screaming,, to scream right back at them.
    Which causes escalation.

I've consciously made efforts to "deescalate", which works better.
    But I'm not dealing with police have to deal with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    But I'm thinking
    Police often deal with people at their worse. As bad as murderers, rapists, child molesters... down to flat tires, informing people of deaths, handing out tickets.

I have been guilty myself at work, when bosses or workers are screaming,, to scream right back at them.
    Which causes escalation.

When you spend more than half your day dealing with garbage the stink tends to get on you.
    When you try and do the right thing and people organize (meaningless false premise) protests against who you are and what you stand for.
    When no matter what you do the media grills you for dinner in the search for ratings/profit.

When good that you do is ignored.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Un addressed stress can also lead to a feeling of "us v. them" and hypervigilance. Officers are immersed in crime that they cannot see anything but criminals. We cannot avoid what we have to deal with on-duty. However, we can control what we do off-duty https://www.policeone.com/health-fi...duty-life-is-important-for-stress-management/
    Even stopping to eat in the worse areas of town, you are reminded just how many "good people" live in those areas, if you take the time to talk to them. It is very easy to forget that most citizens are law abiding and the world is not as dark as we might believe. This is something I've come to realize over the course of the last several years.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Un addressed stress can also lead to a feeling of "us v. them" and hypervigilance. Officers are immersed in crime that they cannot see anything but criminals. We cannot avoid what we have to deal with on-duty. However, we can control what we do off-duty https://www.policeone.com/health-fi...duty-life-is-important-for-stress-management/
    Even stopping to eat in the worse areas of town, you are reminded just how many "good people" live in those areas, if you take the time to talk to them. It is very easy to forget that most citizens are law abiding and the world is not as dark as we might believe. This is something I've come to realize over the course of the last several years.
    :yesway:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But I'm thinking

Which causes escalation.

Some of those points help to see the normality of humanity. Working with the community that they're policing, it seems would give them something besides criminals to sample.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I didn't hear of any police in Vegas protecting only "their" group.
    Imagine that.

Still waiting to hear about the NFL heroes and all they did.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom