• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    If I was an employer and one or more of my employees decide to protest whatever SWJ issue during working hours, on my property They would not be working for me.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with the government but do it on your own time.

One reason the team may be together on this issue, my fellow player does not kneel with you, maybe I won't take a hit for you and let a linebacker get a free shot at you coming across the the middle.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    From Ben Shapiro. When the NFL tells you they support their athelets' freedom of speech, they are liars.

When St. Louis Rams players engaged in “Hands Up, Don’t Shoot” protests in 2014, the league did nothing; when Dallas Cowboys players wanted to wear Dallas police decals to honor the department after a massacre of officers by a black radical, the NFL turned them down flat. When Kaepernick knelt for the Anthem, and other players followed, the NFL did nothing; when some players wanted to wear cleats on September 11, 2016 honoring the fallen, the NFL threatened fines.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If I was an employer and one or more of my employees decide to protest whatever SWJ issue during working hours, on my property They would not be working for me.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with the government but do it on your own time.

One reason the team may be together on this issue, my fellow player does not kneel with you, maybe I won't take a hit for you and let a linebacker get a free shot at you coming across the the middle.

Completely fair. And if the NFL owners drummed out the players that knelt, they'd be well within their rights.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    From Ben Shapiro. When the NFL tells you they support their athelets' freedom of speech, they are liars.

Ok, I keep seeing this. "Where" did the NFL say they supported player's free speech? I can assure you that if players were giving Nazi salutes, the NFL wouldn't be saying that, so I want to see where they have stated specifically that they support player free speech.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Where is the place to protest? It seems that many want to be inoculated from seeing these protests, which when you think about it, is pretty ridiculous. You don't protest around people who already believe like you do. You stick in in somebody's face, and make them take notice.

Not at work kut.
    Again...Time/place.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The frustrating part is that no one is talking about the actual issue they are purportedly protesting. I haven't heard anyone speak about the actual issue they claim to want to bring attention to. If they want to start a national dialogue someone needs to actually speak about the issue rather than the protest itself.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The frustrating part is that no one is talking about the actual issue they are purportedly protesting. I haven't heard anyone speak about the actual issue they claim to want to bring attention to. If they want to start a national dialogue someone needs to actually speak about the issue rather than the protest itself.

They are protesting "Social Injustices"..........that could include getting the wrong order at a drive through. Pretty muddled up message if in fact there is one.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

+1000000000000

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    They are protesting "Social Injustices"..........that could include getting the wrong order at a drive through. Pretty muddled up message if in fact there is one.

My understanding is that they are protesting young African American men being "targeted" by police. If it isn't clear what the protest is about then the protest, at least to some degree, has been unsuccessful. The message needs to be clear and it isn't.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I welcome a national discussion on this topic. In fact, I believe it is long overdue. But to be successful it needs to be open and honest on both sides with no "tripwires" where certain aspects of this issue result in folks being branded by the media. With the current state of the media in America today I don't believe this is possible. Therefore, like everything else, this would just become a political "football", pardon the pun, and nothing would be accomplished save fanning the flames of division. If that's the case then I would pass on the whole event.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I may have missed it, but where did the NFL governing body weigh in on freedom of speech?

They weigh in on freedom of speech all the time. They fine players for not talking to the press, for crying out loud. They not only limit free speech, they COMPEL it!

So the point remains, the NFL is choosing to be political. They have the right to do that. But let's at least recognize it for what it is.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They weigh in on freedom of speech all the time. They fine players for not talking to the press, for crying out loud. They not only limit free speech, they COMPEL it!

So the point remains, the NFL is choosing to be political. They have the right to do that. But let's at least recognize it for what it is.

Lets move this crap outside the arena. Lots and lots of paying customers and ratings providing viewers are walking out.
    That is just killing the golden goose. Are these guys so self centered and attention driven that they fail to see the damage they are causing.
    There are other venues for this.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Where is the place to protest? It seems that many want to be inoculated from seeing these protests, which when you think about it, is pretty ridiculous. You don't protest around people who already believe like you do. You stick in in somebody's face, and make them take notice.

I think vitamink's post brings that into perspective. People watch sports as an escape. It's where we can all forget our differences in politica and unite in love and hate for sake of our favorite sports teams. Can't we just have one area of life where we're divided only by the silly things like team logos?

Seriously, why must we make everything political? Surely there's a way to protest this that doesn't insult the people who take the national anthem seriously. Surely there's a way to protest this which doesn't stereotype all of America as racist.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think vitamink's post brings that into perspective. People watch sports as an escape. It's where we can all forget our differences in politica and unite in love and hate for sake of our favorite sports teams. Can't we just have one area of life where we're divided by only by the silly things like team logos?

Seriously, why must we make everything political? Surely there's a way to protest this that doesn't insult the people who take the national anthem seriously. Surely there's a way to protest this which doesn't stereotype all of America as racist.

If you are truly attempting to bring an issue before the public forum you want to have the widest possible audience. You want that audience to be very hesitant to turn their heads away from your message. Mission accomplished on those points. Lastly you want to clearly state your message or make it so compelling that people will seek more information. Mission failure on that one.

The very reason for protesting at a wildly popular sporting event is so that people almost have to hear what you are saying. Social issues often make people uncomfortable so to have your protest at something easily avoided only dilutes the impact of your message. Having the protest during the anthem is designed to create shock and, possibly, outrage. That has certainly happened. The downside of this is that the message gets lost in the shouting match that stems from the outrage. That has also happened. They have the right venue but the message remains unclear and now, to some degree, lost in all the hoopla surrounding the anthem, the president, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom