Classic Car Pics. Yours not yours, all things cool or not so cool.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes different times, different thrills and in my opinion a lot better racing. They actually ran Stock Cars
    Well, the cars they ran then started out life as a stock car. They weren't exactly a true stock as in off the lot stock cars.
    They were pretty heavily modified for their time and they did a metric crap ton of trial and error R&D work.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Well, the cars they ran then started out life as a stock car. They weren't exactly a true stock as in off the lot stock cars.
    They were pretty heavily modified for their time and they did a metric crap ton of trial and error R&D work.
    You are correct but they at least started as cars made by the manufacturer. They were not custom race chassis with a replica model body on them. I have seen many of them in collections, and you can clearly see the bodies and chassis were of the heritage from the car brand.

I am dating myself but I remember an interview when a driver was praising the "Brand" he was supposedly driving. The car "brand" he was supposedly driving only offered a V6 front wheel drive, and the car he was driving was a V8 rear wheel drive. May as well have been a F1 car.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You are correct but they at least started as cars made by the manufacturer. They were not custom race chassis with a replica model body on them. I have seen many of them in collections, and you can clearly see the bodies and chassis were of the heritage from the car brand.

I am dating myself but I remember an interview when a driver was praising the "Brand" he was supposedly driving. The car "brand" he was supposedly driving only offered a V6 front wheel drive, and the car he was driving was a V8 rear wheel drive. May as well have been a F1 car.
    I wasn't around to witness those cars firsthand in the 60s & 70s. However, I guess it depends on what the definition of "custom race chassis" is. Even back in the 70s they may have utilized the factory frame rails but the cages, rear diff's, front spindles, steering components, brakes etc. were all being modified or custom built. Granted, there were a lot of parts that just weren't available by calling a manufacturer compared to today. IMHO opinion those modifications make those cars much more custom or purpose built than most people like to admit. There really wasn't much "stock" about a stock car, but they were more stock appearing. As far as OEM support, I'm pretty sure even into the early 90s, Cup cars were required to use factory stock hoods, roofs and deck lids to meet body templates made to OEM shapes.
    I agree that the cars being raced for the last 25+ years share very little from their OEM brand associations and barely even look stock unless you squint really hard and tilt your head. And, that doesn't apply only to Cup series cars. Just look at NHRA pro stock cars and they too deviated from anything remotely "stock" many years ago too.
    Heck, even the performance engine parts that you used to be able to buy from a dealership parts counter were being heavily modified/customized.

Reactions: Leo

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    Got a bunch more great classy bike pics but unfortunately most of em have tastefully scantly clad women sitting on em which im not sure would fly, too bad to cause some of those bootys sitting on those seats are truly art. Ive got some more I think will be ok Ill post here and there.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    Man I wish I had a bike like this when I was his age. Hell Id like to have one now. Id probably park it in my living room. Its just too cool. I do still own my Schwinn Manta Ray that I picked right off the show room floor back in 71.

1648302155202.jpeg

Top Bottom