• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    CTS, I bet the TOS says they are not responsible for security breeches. If they are, it will shut down cloud services overnight. Just like lawsuits killed doctors dispensing free medical advice.

I'm not sure about iCloud, but I know the Dropbox TOU says no warranties implied. It's not responsible for what happens to your data. And also, it reserves the right to snoop through your stuff to see if anything is "inappropriate". That said, services like that can be made secure by encrypting it yourself before you upload. I use Dropbox to share stuff that's not sensitive.

But CTS is right, this incident doesn't condemn an entire industry. You get what you ask for. You want a non-secure way to share or store files use those services. You want something that uses world class security, then do that. There are some drop-box like services that offer real security.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So this is entirely the WRONG way to think about cloud services and it's a huge problem I hope the courts fix soon. There's a big difference between posting a photo on a publicly accessible image/message and storing it in a cloud service with an SLA covering access to your data. Someone may be naive for thinking certain services are secure enough, but they should have every expectation of privacy. It's like putting your possessions in a safety deposit box at the bank. The bank advertises that it protects the possessions but the bank manager accidentally drops a master key (yes I know how SD boxes work I'm making an analogy here), forgets to set the alarm and leaves the front door propped open. You didn't have an anticipation that your items were safe?

Personally there are a few things I want to keep safe and they're both on my own hardware and encrypted, but if I have a contract with someone to store my data securely and they fail secure it as agreed, I absolutely should have the right to seek a reasonable remedy from them. Handing my information to a third party that is contractually obligated to keep it secure should not waive my right to privacy.
    Your run of the mill cloud storage services, dropbox, google drive, iCloud, OneDrive, etc... are not touted as secure. They make every effort, but there is most certainly no recourse for security breaches. If you want security, you would have to look into the HIPAA compliant places, fork over some $$ and sign a BAA. Cloud storage is not analogous to a SD box, it is analogous to your "secured" home or car. Most of the time it's secure, but when bad people want in, they will get in.

When private hackers do it to a few celebrities, it's a privacy violation, a major story and the FBI gets involved to find the culprits. When the government does it to all of us every single day, it's somehow no big deal and nobody cares.
    Sadly you have to have celebrity status before anyone cares in our society.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    ... but if I have a contract with someone to store my data securely and they fail secure it as agreed, I absolutely should have the right to seek a reasonable remedy from them.

You have no such contract with the overwhelming majority of free cloud storage services.

To take your analogy, you store your valuables in a safe deposit box at the bank... Then, one evening, fifty thousand armed men cut the power to the bank alarm, bust down the doors, over-power the security guard, break into the vault, and steal your stuff.

You can blame the bank all you want. Good luck.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    … I retract my previous query.

I will, however, state for the record that I don't need to see any one's ding-a-ling.

What about ding dongs?

dingdong_E_20121210153849.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Guys, once you've seen one hoohoo or tatas, do you really want to see the rest of them?

Yes.

We may not want to see all of them for very long or more than once, but we do want to see them all. I speak for all of us, even the deniers. They may not indulge and actually look, but the desire to see them is in our DNA as part of our defective Y-chromosome.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can speak for every male that I've every personally known while saying this...yes, yes we do. Even the gross ones. We'll take a look even if it isn't a long look.

Yes.

We may not want to see all of them for very long or more than once, but we do want to see them all. I speak for all of us, even the deniers. They may not indulge and actually look, but the desire to see them is in our DNA as part of our defective Y-chromosome.

You are correct.

See? It's practically the same universal response. It just is. And I'm okay with that.

Top Bottom