Carjacking in Indiana, Use of deadly force...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Question:
    At what time would deadly force be used during a car jacking? Or to better ask this question.. At what moment would you pull your weapon out of the holster and place a well placed round between the eyes of a person attempting to carjack you?

Scenario 1:
    I am parked in the Wal-mart parking lot with my windows down and keys in the ignition. A man approaches my car and says, “Get out of the car; I am taking it.” I tell the man, “No you’re not” and roll my window up. The man then opens the car door and reaches in to pull me out. The man pulls me out of the car and I fall to the ground. The man then drives away in my car. I could not see a weapon on the man.

Scenario 2:
    Same question as Scenario 1, except the man has a weapon visible.

Scenario 3:
    Same question as Scenario 1, except I do not see a weapon but the man states he will kill me if I don’t get out of my car.

Scenario 4:
    Same question as Scenario 1, except I do see a weapon and the man states he will kill me if I don’t get out of my car.

According to Indiana Code 35-41-3-2:
    (a) A person

(1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;

if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

(b) A person:

(1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and

if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

IC 35-42-5-2
    Carjacking
    Sec. 2. A person who knowingly or intentionally takes a motor vehicle from another person or from the presence of another person:

(1) by using or threatening the use of force on any person; or
    (2) by putting any person in fear;

commits carjacking, a Class B felony.

Last edited:

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    In response to all four scenarios, I believe if you pull your weapon instead of talking and rolling up the window, you would be justified by Indiana Code.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    IMO you could in any of the scenarios because of
    (b) A person:

(1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and

if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.
    Even if you cannot see a weapon, that does not mean he does not have one.

The better question is, "Once he is driving off in my vehicle can I shoot at him(the vehicle)? My answer would be, if he used force, that you could BECAUSE, he is in the act of commiting a felony, he has used force against you, and you feel that he is a reasonable threat to do physical damage to someone else. But as always, IANAL.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    At first blush, it appears that you would be justified in all 4 cases, from the moment the attacker attempts to enter the vehicle (unlawful entry) or presents a weapon (serious violent felony AND serious bodily injury).

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Scenario 1: you would have been justified when he opened your car door...after that he posed no threat to you and would not have been justified

Scenario 2: you would have been justified up until he was in the car, you were out, and he was "on his way" away from you

Scenario 3: same as above

Scenario 4: you would have been justified as soon as those words left his mouth

these are the points at which you would be able to easily justify it in a court room....I know the law reads in the commission of a felony, but in this society I doubt you will be able to justify (in their minds) using deadly force when the man does not pose a threat to your life.............but as the law reads you would be justified pretty much at any time during these scenarios

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Question:
    At what time would deadly force be used during a car jacking? Or to better ask this question.. At what moment would you pull your weapon out of the holster and place a well placed round between the eyes of a person attempting to carjack you?......

You don't even have to get into all the scenarios, the answer is simple. The moment you feel that you are in fear for your life or serious bodily harm, and you feel you have no other option. Bang.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    The threat is implied even with #1, "I'm taking your car (BY FORCE)". As someone else said, you have no way of knowing if they have a weapon or not, and you won't have time to find out until it is too late.

BUT: My car door is locked so he wouldn't be able to gain access as easy as that:

#1 Kids in the back seat, sorry buddy your screwed, should have picked a different car.

#2 No kids in the back seat but weapons in the car other then the one on my person, same as above.

#3 No kids and no weapons in car, nothing in car that is not replaceable, I honestly don't know. ALTHOUGH: If he takes my car, he could still have access to my detached garage. He would know where my house is, and probably have my house key, so he would still be a threat.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    You are going to have to convince a jury that your belief of attack/entry/bodily injury was reasonable. Then you'll have to convince them that the means employed to protect yourself were reasonable.

Ugh. But life doesn't always give us clear choices.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Question:
    At what time would deadly force be used during a car jacking? Or to better ask this question.. At what moment would you pull your weapon out of the holster and place a well placed round between the eyes of a person attempting to carjack you?

Scenario 1:
    I am parked in the Wal-mart parking lot with my windows down and keys in the ignition. A man approaches my car and says, “Get out of the car; I am taking it.” I tell the man, “No you’re not” and roll my window up. The man then opens the car door and reaches in to pull me out. The man pulls me out of the car and I fall to the ground. The man then drives away in my car. I could not see a weapon on the man.

Scenario 2:
    Same question as Scenario 1, except the man has a weapon visible.

Scenario 3:
    Same question as Scenario 1, except I do not see a weapon but the man states he will kill me if I don’t get out of my car.

Scenario 4:
    Same question as Scenario 1, except I do see a weapon and the man states he will kill me if I don’t get out of my car.

According to Indiana Code 35-41-3-2:
    (a) A person

(1) is justified in using deadly force; and

if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

(b) A person:

IC 35-42-5-2
    Carjacking
    Sec. 2. A person who knowingly or intentionally takes a motor vehicle from another person or from the presence of another person:

(1) by using or threatening the use of force on any person; or
    (2) by putting any person in fear;

commits carjacking, a Class B felony.
    FIRST, my doors, are ALWAYS LOCKED !!!!!
    Second, when YOU, TOUCH ME, you will be introduced to " my little friend".....
    Third, if YOU don't get my message, by then well do I really have to explain ?????

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    In all scenarios the attempting perp gets shot. You don't have time to judge someone's ability to hurt you even if you don't see a weapon. Just yesterday a mixed martial arts expert who beat the hell out of a guy the other day had his charges uped to involuntary manslaughter after the victim died. Nobody can know what just one hard, well placed punch can do to you. He pulls the door open he gets it in the chest with a .40 caliber 180 gr. GDHP from my itty bitty Glock 27.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    IMO you could in any of the scenarios because of
    Even if you cannot see a weapon, that does not mean he does not have one.

The better question is, "Once he is driving off in my vehicle can I shoot at him(the vehicle)? My answer would be, if he used force, that you could BECAUSE, he is in the act of commiting a felony, he has used force against you, and you feel that he is a reasonable threat to do physical damage to someone else. But as always, IANAL.

IANAL, but I think if you shoot at him as he's driving away (assuming no other weird circumstances...), you're going to have some long days trying to explain that to a jury. I personally would NOT fire those shots.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    For actually shooting, I would say 1,2,&4.

as for drawing my weapon, all of them.

scenario 3 is iffy to me whether or not to pull the trigger. Of course in all honesty I would see me reacting in 1 of 2 ways, getting out and letting him have the vehicle (provided I was by myself and no family in or around the vehicle) my car can be replaced, that's why I have insurance! The other response I could see myself doing, as I'm amped up on adrenaline, is just pulling and double-tapping him without thinking. :rockwoot:

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The only thing that I would be worried about is my hearing after firing a gun a foot away from my face or closer inside of a damn car.

Alas, wearing my ear protection all the time would get some weird looks...

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    All four instances I would draw as soon as he tells me he is taking my car. If he made a move toward me....BANG. If he retreated....I'd call the PD and try to keep an eye on where he is until they arrive. If he had a weapon, he would get one as soon as I saw it.

As for the shooting after he has already left......I wouldn't take the chance. It would be extremely hard to convince a jury that you were protecting yourself at that point. I would try to shoot the tires out if it were possible, though.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    snippage

... I would try to shoot the tires out if it were possible, though.

Not me, again, assuming simple "just me, no other complications" circumstances. Once he's taken my car and driving away and I feel no threat to my life or the lives of others, there's probably no way I'm letting rounds fly that could end up even hitting HIM, let alone some innocent bystander. At that point, it's just a phone call to the police.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Not me, again, assuming simple "just me, no other complications" circumstances. Once he's taken my car and driving away and I feel no threat to my life or the lives of others, there's probably no way I'm letting rounds fly that could end up even hitting HIM, let alone some innocent bystander. At that point, it's just a phone call to the police.

That's a good point. I'd say it depends on where you are at. The Walmart I go to is populated. I would just call PD. If I were at some of the Walmarts I have been to that aren't populated and there's a field in the background, I would. Also depends on how far away I was. If there was a chance of a round hitting the driver, I would chalk it up as an insurance claim.

Top Bottom