Cancel Culture, Popes, Castration & ISIS = SAME!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I dont think it is at all. Dick's doesnt get talked about as much now, its no longer the flavor of the week. Now it's amazon, netflix ( i think), disney. They're commonly talked about, and people boast about unsubscribing as if its a merit badge. You personally may not be malicious in your intent but the threads that are started about them are trying to get the word out so people stop shopping or using their services and financially hurt them. Theres just not enough muscle to get DSG to change how they operate though.

You didnt give an example so lets take the Dr. Seuss scenario. You cant force a private company to make property they own. Who was calling for them to get rid of the books? I havent heard or seen anything about them since grade school, then they stopped printing a few books, made a statement and all of a sudden they are being talked about in the news. They got exactly what they wanted, to be in the media again. Nobody cancelled them. They made that decision.
    I think you are conflating "voting with your feet" or voting with your dollars or boycotting a retailer with cancel culture.

I'm unaware of ANYONE fired from their job because they were pictured entering a DSG or because they uttered something nice about, or something supportive of, or something understanding of DSGs predicament, or for failing to castigate DSG.

THAT would be cancel culture.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I think you are conflating "voting with your feet" or voting with your dollars or boycotting a retailer with cancel culture.

I'm unaware of ANYONE fired from their job because they were pictured entering a DSG or because they uttered something nice about, or something supportive of, or something understanding of DSGs predicament, or for failing to castigate DSG.

THAT would be cancel culture.
    Is that stuff happening to dr seuss supporters though?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2021
    Martinsville
    It occurred to me the other day that our current cancel culture of removing (if not destroying) statues, cancelling books such as Dr. Seuss, and the removal of artwork because some don't like how it depicts certain groups is about the same as the Popes chopping off penises from statues.

Today, we look back in horror at the forever damaged statuary that had penises removed due to certain Popes not liking them. Some of this destruction occurred by secular folks to Egyptian artwork that 19th century archeologists brought back.

We in the west who were paying a modicum of attention groaned and bemoaned the vast destruction of ancient buildings, artwork, and other historical treasures by ISIS because it didn't conform to their interpretation of Islam.

Today our people cry and shake our heads at the great Nazi book burning pyres that were common in Germany in the 1930s. Great works of literature destroyed because it crossed some line of Nazi ideology.

Then we look at ourselves - today - now... We have become the religious and intolerant fanatics of yesteryear. I am quite certain that in the not too distant past someone was worried and the response was, "It can't happen here." Well, here it is.

I bring all of these examples up to help us verbally combat those with whom we may debate in public exactly who they are wanting to be like! When we find ourselves arguing with someone who wants to tear down a statue, stop printing a book, or cover up some art ask them, "So... when did you decide ISIS/Nazi's/Intolerant Popes were people YOU wanted to emulate? Because that is exactly what they are doing!

I deplore the intentional burning of the Library of Athens by intolerant Christians many centuries ago, yet I see them today, not Christians, but nearsighted myopic buffoons who, while trying to cloak themselves in righteous indignation are in reality mimicking ISIS, Nazi book burners, and Popes. Oh yeah, and we can throw in the junior Senator from Wisconsin Joe McCarthy too. After all, his witch hunts were not dissimilar from the ruination of people today by the woke minded.

We need to remember these similarities because when we share them in public discussions we will hopefully get those who are on the fence to see the horror and damage done to our culture and to future generations, because the Woke of today are the cultural rapists of yesteryear.

Regards,

Doug
    Jordan Peterson just did a talk with Bret Weinstein where they address most of this. Essentially getting rid of religion, as the left has, without any other moral compass to follow, has led to basic sodom and Gomorrah situations and no reason or remedy to “control” it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2021
    Martinsville
    No
    This is a tactic used by leftists and anarchists to tear down anyone who opposes their politics or ideology. Their goal is to weaken and destroy our society by denying us our history, our culture, and ultimately our identity. We have to push back on them, mock them, and beat them down at every opportunity.
    Not just leftists, most humans can fall victim to this. Isis and Christians have both went on benders. The witch trials come to mind.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2021
    Martinsville
    I do not like cancel culture but is it not used here often? For example Dicks sporting Goods is not well liked here so you do not buy anything from there. Because your views do not meet theirs you in turn "cancel" them. The Dr. Seuss thing was a financial decision made by his estate. They were not forced to do anything, they chose to remove the books because they felt like they would benefit financially from removing them. Amazon is another recent one here that people are against and speak out about. Is that not cancel culture?
    Boycotting, or speaking with your dollar, is not the same as elites/huge corporations dictating what you do or see.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2021
    Martinsville
    While I agree in principle I have come to believe that sheep (2 legged ones) are sheep because they are psychologically incapable of dealing with the reality they face. Present them with compelling evidence of a dystopian future and they are going to double down on sheeping.
    Many would rather be sheep in a cage, fed and watered, than wild and free. But the don’t realize their error until they’re at slaughter.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2021
    Martinsville
    I dont think it is at all. Dick's doesnt get talked about as much now, its no longer the flavor of the week. Now it's amazon, netflix ( i think), disney. They're commonly talked about, and people boast about unsubscribing as if its a merit badge. You personally may not be malicious in your intent but the threads that are started about them are trying to get the word out so people stop shopping or using their services and financially hurt them. Theres just not enough muscle to get DSG to change how they operate though.

You didnt give an example so lets take the Dr. Seuss scenario. You cant force a private company to make property they own. Who was calling for them to get rid of the books? I havent heard or seen anything about them since grade school, then they stopped printing a few books, made a statement and all of a sudden they are being talked about in the news. They got exactly what they wanted, to be in the media again. Nobody cancelled them. They made that decision.
    Those companies picked a side rather than remaining nuetral.

as for dr suess, there was a journalist or scholar that pointed out the “racist duplications” either on Twitter or in an article and the woke mob went to works. Suess inc bent to pressure.

again the difference here is an individual unsubscribing, even bragging, is still not cancelling that company. They are voicing their opinion, not stumping for the ruin.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Those companies picked a side rather than remaining nuetral.

as for dr suess, there was a journalist or scholar that pointed out the “racist duplications” either on Twitter or in an article and the woke mob went to works. Suess inc bent to pressure.

again the difference here is an individual unsubscribing, even bragging, is still not cancelling that company. They are voicing their opinion, not stumping for the ruin.
    Ok so did dr. Seuss company not pick a side? Why are they getting treated as the victim where the others aren’t? After the Florida school shooting DSG stopped selling AR’s. They at least had a reason behind it even if I disagree. Dr Seuss estate just decided on a random day, under no pressure to remove the books.

as for eBay I just checked and his books are still up for sale.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2021
    Martinsville
    Ok so did dr. Seuss company not pick a side? Why are they getting treated as the victim where the others aren’t? After the Florida school shooting DSG stopped selling AR’s. They at least had a reason behind it even if I disagree. Dr Seuss estate just decided on a random day, under no pressure to remove the books.

as for eBay I just checked and his books are still up for sale.
    I am in no way sticking up for dr suess. I think they are cowards, but the pressure came from the system, the mob, this is cancel culture.

perhaps eBay returned the ads, I turned it out after I initially saw the article where ads were removed on Monday or Tuesday.

I was simply trying to point out that an individual choosing to not support a business because they’ve picked a side and acted on it, does not constitute cancel culture.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I am in no way sticking up for dr suess. I think they are cowards, but the pressure came from the system, the mob, this is cancel culture.

perhaps eBay returned the ads, I turned it out after I initially saw the article where ads were removed on Monday or Tuesday.

I was simply trying to point out that an individual choosing to not support a business because they’ve picked a side and acted on it, does not constitute cancel culture.
    I guess I’m asking where this mob of people calling specifically for them to stop publishing them is?

moving onto the second point. Was the boycotting of chick fil a a few years back not cancel culture? It is IMO. Those were individuals choosing not to support a business as well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2021
    Martinsville
    I guess I’m asking where this mob of people calling specifically for them to stop publishing them is?

moving onto the second point. Was the boycotting of chick fil a a few years back not cancel culture? It is IMO. Those were individuals choosing not to support a business as well.
    On Twitter? Where the woke mob lives? The issue is something trends on Twitter and then the entire machine runs with it. The dr Sue’s thing started with a dumb tweet and caught traction then national attention. In an effort to avoid critique or whatever, dr Suess inc decided to cancel 6 books to appease the mob.

the chick fillet thing would’ve been the same as the dicks thing, except and until the national media picked it up and the mob tried to put pressure on them.

the difference is, when the overlords weigh in and the business caves to them.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Since we have brought up Chick Fil A, let me point out the following. We stopped buying from Dick's. We did NOT stage black rifle OC events at Dick's. We did NOT pressure local governments or landlords to refuse to allow Dick's to operate in their communities or properties. We did not set out in the attempt to have Sucks eliminated from the face of the planet. We simply chose not to do business with them ourselves. By contrast, the cancel culture led by the militant LBGTQEIEIO did everything they could manage to eradicate Chick Fil A.

Can you see the difference between methods here? Allowing those we disagree with to go their own way without our participation as opposed to the cancel culture not willing to settle for anything less than the eradication of anyone who disagrees with them defines the difference between us and them.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Since we have brought up Chick Fil A, let me point out the following. We stopped buying from Dick's. We did NOT stage black rifle OC events at Dick's. We did NOT pressure local governments or landlords to refuse to allow Dick's to operate in their communities or properties. We did not set out in the attempt to have Sucks eliminated from the face of the planet. We simply chose not to do business with them ourselves. By contrast, the cancel culture led by the militant LBGTQEIEIO did everything they could manage to eradicate Chick Fil A.

Can you see the difference between methods here? Allowing those we disagree with to go their own way without our participation as opposed to the cancel culture not willing to settle for anything less than the eradication of anyone who disagrees with them defines the difference between us and them.
    Now do Starbucks... oh, and Colin Kaepernick

Top Bottom