Cancel Culture, Popes, Castration & ISIS = SAME!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I guess I’m asking where this mob of people calling specifically for them to stop publishing them is?

moving onto the second point. Was the boycotting of chick fil a a few years back not cancel culture? It is IMO. Those were individuals choosing not to support a business as well.
    I'm not remembering people campaigning to prevent Dick's from opening new stores in locations of their choosing, like the San Antonio airport did to Chick Fil A. Boycotting is within the bounds of capitalism, using the power of the state to strike at your perceived enemies is not. Even you should be able to detect the difference, and recall Chick Fil A's 'crime' was not even related to store policies, it was because the owners of the company donated to Christian organizations that failed to genuflect sufficiently at the altar of LGBTQWXYZ and transgenderism

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm not remembering people campaigning to prevent Dick's from opening new stores in locations of their choosing, like the San Antonio airport did to Chick Fil A. Boycotting is within the bounds of capitalism, using the power of the state to strike at your perceived enemies is not. Even you should be able to detect the difference, and recall Chick Fil A's 'crime' was not even related to store policies, it was because the owners of the company donated to Christian organizations that failed to genuflect sufficiently at the altar of LGBTQWXYZ and transgenderism
    You might also recall that Rahm Emmanuel in his capacity as mayor of Chicago declared that the company "does not share our values" and successfully prevented attempts by Chick Fil A to open restaurants anywhere in or near Chicago.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    There were campaigns to eradicate Starbucks? I remember people going there with guns as customers to show how many customers they had that supported carrying.

As for Kap, were there campaigns to have him cancelled? People protested to have him fired everywhere he went? I remember people not supporting those companies that chose to support him, but I do not remember a mob shrilling for his cancellation.

He was a has been when he started his nonsense. It isn't like he was fired simply because he was taking a knee during the Anthem. He was fired because it wasn't worth the hassle to have a mediocre backup quarterback on the roster that caused so much angst.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Danughrt has cond see
    snweslmrts
    iu

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    This whole thread is about social engineering being perpetrated upon us.
    Isn't it time to finger exactly who and what is doing it?

Oh it's the leftists, oh it's this group oh it's that group. Nonsense. It's immense wealth expressing its power over the institutions of our world.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That's what happens when your trying to reach across a table to keep coffee from spilling all over your keyboard!
    Given the political landscape I was wondering if instead of pig Latin you were posting in pig Chinese. :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I do not like cancel culture but is it not used here often? For example Dicks sporting Goods is not well liked here so you do not buy anything from there. Because your views do not meet theirs you in turn "cancel" them. The Dr. Seuss thing was a financial decision made by his estate. They were not forced to do anything, they chose to remove the books because they felt like they would benefit financially from removing them. Amazon is another recent one here that people are against and speak out about. Is that not cancel culture?
    I'm getting into this conversation really late but as I'm reading through the thread I cannot help but comment on this.

I think you may be equating two terms, "canceling" and "boycotting". Boycotting is not exactly the same thing as canceling.

But regardless, I don't generally advocate for boycotting either. That's not to say that I'd never boycott a company. If they've ****ed me over, ***damn straight I'll boycott them. I'd rather commerce not be politicized, so when companies engage in politicization, if they adopt policies that go against me, I might take that as a signal that they don't care for my business. In other words, if they take a political stand against me, I'll reciprocate. Not to cancel them. I'd rather do business with people who act like they want my business.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Your statement is seriously flawed. Most of us do not patronize Dick's. We do NOT act to prevent others from doing so.

That's a good delineation of the difference between canceling and boycotting. Boycotting is more of a personal decision to avoid doing business with a company for some reason. Canceling is to try to punish a business or individual by creating a social blockade against them to make them bend to the mob's will.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Let me ask @kickbacked this. Do you believe there is a such thing as cancel culture? And do you see what's described as cancel culture by conservatives pretty much the same thing as boycotting ?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You might also recall that Rahm Emmanuel in his capacity as mayor of Chicago declared that the company "does not share our values" and successfully prevented attempts by Chick Fil A to open restaurants anywhere in or near Chicago.

Maybe what hizzoner meant was they didn't want to pay city hall to operate a business in chicago. They have different values in that town.;)

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Let me ask @kickbacked this. Do you believe there is a such thing as cancel culture? And do you see what's described as cancel culture by conservatives pretty much the same thing as boycotting ?
    Was the boycotting of chick fil a a few years back not cancel culture? It is IMO.
    That's a good delineation of the difference between canceling and boycotting. Boycotting is more of a personal decision to avoid doing business with a company for some reason. Canceling is to try to punish a business or individual by creating a social blockade against them to make them bend to the mob's will.
    Cancel culture too starts off as a personal decision. Is the decision to not support dsg and spread the word around INGO not to support them based on their decision not trying to punish them? The main difference I see is the number of people. If you dont have the numbers you cant cancel anyone. If you had the numbers many would.

This is a direct quote right here on INGO in one of the DSG threads:

"What gun owners should do is come to all of their zoning hearings when they construct new stores and encourage our zoning boards to not grant easements, tax breaks, etc. Anything to make it impossible for them to begin construction.

we need to do THIS for all of those companies who don’t value our constitutional rights.

a group of gun owners in Greensburg have successfully nuked Starbucks, Chipotle, and a BW3 who wanted to build here. This just need to happen on a more widespread basis."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Cancel culture too starts off as a personal decision. Is the decision to not support dsg and spread the word around INGO not to support them based on their decision not trying to punish them? The main difference I see is the number of people. If you dont have the numbers you cant cancel anyone. If you had the numbers many would.

This is a direct quote right here on INGO in one of the DSG threads:

"What gun owners should do is come to all of their zoning hearings when they construct new stores and encourage our zoning boards to not grant easements, tax breaks, etc. Anything to make it impossible for them to begin construction.

we need to do THIS for all of those companies who don’t value our constitutional rights.

a group of gun owners in Greensburg have successfully nuked Starbucks, Chipotle, and a BW3 who wanted to build here. This just need to happen on a more widespread basis."
    Cancel culture destroys. That's not the same thing as boycotting. People who defend cancel culture insist there is no such thing, that it's just consequences. And then they go on to try to destroy people's lives by any means necessary. I dunno. Maybe it's hard to describe the difference in words, but you should know it when you see it. So maybe describing a few scenarios would help.

If a community comes together because they don't want, say, an adult bookstore in their community, I don't think that's cancel culture. A majority of the people in that community have a problem with that kind of business being in their neighborhoods. That's a legitimate use of "they don't meet community standards."

The way people reacted to the my pillow guy is an example of cancel culture. Okay. He's a Trumper. People called him a Nazi, and tried to ruin him because he has opinions they don't like. Dude makes pillows. If the "standard" is "he doesn't meet community standards", c'mon. Pillows made by a guy who supported Trump and, okay, kinda wasn't well rooted in reality, but WTF? ***damn straight that's cancel culture.

I think the sentiment that you quoted is coming very close to cancel culture. They're trying to shut down businesses because they have ideas they don't agree with politically. I think there is a fine line there though. If a business makes a commercial that has a political message you don't like, and you work to destroy their business, you're really not any different from cancel culture. If they actually take action as a surrogate of government infringements, and you boycott them, I don't think that's cancel culture. Trying to ruin them is. Simply not patronizing their business isn't.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would say the differencd between s boycott and cancel culture is that a boycott is simply refusal to associate, interact, or do business with those deemed problematic. Cancel culture is a vindictive effort to removd a person or group from the face of the planet for daring to disagree with your opinion.

As I had said previously, the right did not attempt to drive Starbucks, for example, out of existence. We simply didn't buy from them. Cancel culture would not only seek to put a target out of existence but erase its memory.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would say the differencd between s boycott and cancel culture is that a boycott is simply refusal to associate, interact, or do business with those deemed problematic. Cancel culture is a vindictive effort to removd a person or group from the face of the planet for daring to disagree with your opinion.

As I had said previously, the right did not attempt to drive Starbucks, for example, out of existence. We simply didn't buy from them. Cancel culture would not only seek to put a target out of existence but erase its memory.
    According the to quote it was more than just not associating with the business. It was going to zoning meetings to try to prevent them from going forward with their business, where the objection is purely political. I think that's really close to cancel culture. But I do think your definitions are quite good.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Let us not overlook that the reality of "boycotts" and other methods of attempting to force a company to do what another group wants them to do or avoid doing has grown in effectiveness exponentially. The modern communications infrastructure allows thousands upon thousands who get a burr up their collective a&&es to strike hard and fast, slamming a company with emails, texts, reviews and so on. This level of hate goes far beyond what has gone before.

It is also important to note that the new groups, mostly on the left but some on the right, don't stop at the company - they attack employees individually! The level of hate spewed at a normal person or even a very strong one will become overwhelming to the point that they quit. This isn't what they signed up for! They just wanted to be assistant manager. They didn't expect that their Facebook page, twitter account and a host of other presences they may have would be assaulted by hundreds or thousands condemning them - daily! Then it spills over onto their family. "Your dad's evil! He is a #$%#^#$."

My initial goal of the thread was to bring to light the common thread of extremists and give people a thought line when caught in a debate with someone about their support for removing statues, destroying art, and "cancelling" others. ALL of these were done before by religious extremists and Nazi's, groups one generally would not want to be associated with.

In the end it is the same thing - intolerance for ideas different from ones own. Popes covered and whacked off penises because they found the expression of art in violation of their standards. Islamic extremists destroyed historic sites where the moved in because they found that expression of history in violation of their standards. Nazi's burned books for the same reason. And today, here in America, statues are being torn down, art covered up, books removed from shelves because they violate someones standards.

The "woke" culture is religious extremism minus God. They don't need or use God. They have the mob mentality screaming that something is wrong or bad and must be destroyed.

I just cannot tolerate intolerance...:xmad:

Regards,

Doug

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Cancel culture destroys. That's not the same thing as boycotting. People who defend cancel culture insist there is no such thing, that it's just consequences. And then they go on to try to destroy people's lives by any means necessary. I dunno. Maybe it's hard to describe the difference in words, but you should know it when you see it. So maybe describing a few scenarios would help.

If a community comes together because they don't want, say, an adult bookstore in their community, I don't think that's cancel culture. A majority of the people in that community have a problem with that kind of business being in their neighborhoods. That's a legitimate use of "they don't meet community standards."

The way people reacted to the my pillow guy is an example of cancel culture. Okay. He's a Trumper. People called him a Nazi, and tried to ruin him because he has opinions they don't like. Dude makes pillows. If the "standard" is "he doesn't meet community standards", c'mon. Pillows made by a guy who supported Trump and, okay, kinda wasn't well rooted in reality, but WTF? ***damn straight that's cancel culture.

I think the sentiment that you quoted is coming very close to cancel culture. They're trying to shut down businesses because they have ideas they don't agree with politically. I think there is a fine line there though. If a business makes a commercial that has a political message you don't like, and you work to destroy their business, you're really not any different from cancel culture. If they actually take action as a surrogate of government infringements, and you boycott them, I don't think that's cancel culture. Trying to ruin them is. Simply not patronizing their business isn't.
    You say a community not allowing an adult book store isnt cancel culture, yet others here have used Chick fil a as an example when they were not allowed to build a restaurant as cancel culture. What is the difference besides the wholesomeness of chick fil a and the looked down upon adult book store? They are both legal businesses.

I completely disagree with calling anyone who isnt a real nazi, a nazi. Ive said many times that those people who would sling that word around so freely should be taken to a holocaust museum to see that they are disrespecting the victims of the nazi's by watering down a word so much. I feel the same way about the frequent use of calling all liberals communists.

A simple boycott can turn into cancel culture. Just like a tropical storm can turn into a hurricane. As it collects people it goes from just boycotting to much more extreme things. I think we can agree thats just mob mentality. What I am trying to say is that the DSG boycotting didnt cancel dicks, but not because people didnt want it to. It was stopped because the boycotters were the minority in comparison to the soccer moms. They both start with people publicly speaking out against them and boycotting. Where we disagree is that you're saying the above quote i used is not cancel culture. When its based on whats been used throughout this entire thread to describe cancel culture, stopping people completely from going to a business.

it feels like a lot of people think its not cancel culture if they are in support, but if it goes against what they support it's now cancel culture. The rules should stay the same.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You say a community not allowing an adult book store isnt cancel culture, yet others here have used Chick fil a as an example when they were not allowed to build a restaurant as cancel culture. What is the difference besides the wholesomeness of chick fil a and the looked down upon adult book store? They are both legal businesses.

I completely disagree with calling anyone who isnt a real nazi, a nazi. Ive said many times that those people who would sling that word around so freely should be taken to a holocaust museum to see that they are disrespecting the victims of the nazi's by watering down a word so much. I feel the same way about the frequent use of calling all liberals communists.

A simple boycott can turn into cancel culture. Just like a tropical storm can turn into a hurricane. As it collects people it goes from just boycotting to much more extreme things. I think we can agree thats just mob mentality. What I am trying to say is that the DSG boycotting didnt cancel dicks, but not because people didnt want it to. It was stopped because the boycotters were the minority in comparison to the soccer moms. They both start with people publicly speaking out against them and boycotting. Where we disagree is that you're saying the above quote i used is not cancel culture. When its based on whats been used throughout this entire thread to describe cancel culture, stopping people completely from going to a business.

it feels like a lot of people think its not cancel culture if they are in support, but if it goes against what they support it's now cancel culture. The rules should stay the same.
    Did you not read the part where I said I thought the examples you quoted were very close to cancel culture?

Oh. And I wouldn't say liberals are communists. "Liberal" and communism haven't much in common at all. Progressives though... That's kinda earned.

Top Bottom