• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Hornadylnl: I've undertaken a survey of 1 (my wife). She says the worst is airport restrooms and it doesn't matter if they are well-dressed or poor.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hornadylnl: I've undertaken a survey of 1 (my wife). She says the worst is airport restrooms and it doesn't matter if they are well-dressed or poor.

What do PUBLIC lands and PUBLIC restrooms have in common? I'll bet those nasty ****s don't treat their own property that way.

And of course one of the proposed solutions for the thread I linked was more government. Hiring park rangers to police the slobs. My range doesn't look like the one I linked to. Why is that?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    On the other hand, I've hiked in Colorado wilderness up some of the 14ers. No litter.

How many public fishing spots can you find without trash and fishing line everywhere?

You're extolling the virtues of public lands all the while dismissing all the negatives. The only selfish ones in this mess are those who think the world owes them recreation and have no skin in the game to make sure things stay nice.

But hey, I have a constitutional right to force you to pay for the range I linked and leave my trash there. 'Muricah!

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I think it depends on where you live. I've fished Wyoming, Colorado and Nebraska without litter except overfull trash cans on major holidays.

On the other hand, the bubba in the pickup truck in front of me at Taco Bell dumped his ashtray out on the pavement whilst waiting to pick up his order.

I think I mumbled something about post-birth abortions…..

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think it depends on where you live. I've fished Wyoming, Colorado and Nebraska without litter except overfull trash cans on major holidays.

On the other hand, the bubba in the pickup truck in front of me at Taco Bell dumped his ashtray out on the pavement whilst waiting to pick up his order.

I think I mumbled something about post-birth abortions…..

Huh, another PUBLIC space. Wonder if he does it in HIS OWN yard.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Of course not! That's what Taco Bell is for!

If public land is better than private, I trust you'll deed your dirt over to the federal government and rent it back from them.

Hell, let's do the same thing for farms. If public is better than private, I'm sure farm land will be more productive and the cost of food will go down.

Except I think the Pilgrims learned that lesson pretty quickly.

Property: William Bradford, Of Plymouth Plantation 120--21
    William Bradford, Of Plymouth Plantation 120--21

All this while no supply was heard of, neither knew they when they might expect any. So they began to think how they might raise as much corn as they could, and obtain a better crop than they had done, that they might not still thus languish in misery. At length, after much debate of things, the Governor (with the advice of the chiefest amongst them) gave way that they should set corn every man for his own particular, and in that regard trust to themselves; in all other things to go on in the general way as before. And so assigned to every family a parcel of land, according to the proportion of their number, for that end, only for present use (but made no division for inheritance) and ranged all boys and youth under some family. This had very good success, for it made all hands very industrious, so as much more corn was planted than otherwise would have been by any means the Governor or any other could use, and saved him a great deal of trouble, and gave far better content. The women now went willingly into the field, and took their little ones with them to set corn; which before would allege weakness and inability; whom to have compelled would have been thought great tyranny and oppression.

The experience that was had in this common course and condition, tried sundry years and that amongst godly and sober men, may well evince the vanity of that conceit of Plato's and other ancients applauded by some of later times; that the taking away of property and bringing in community into a commonwealth would make them happy and flourishing; as if they were wiser than God. For this community (so far as it was) was found to breed much confusion and discontent and retard much employment that would have been to their benefit and comfort. For the young men, that were most able and fit for labour and service, did repine that they should spend their time and strength to work for other men's wives and children without any recompense. The strong, or man of parts, had no more in division of victuals and clothes than he that was weak and not able to do a quarter the other could; this was thought injustice. The aged and graver men to be ranked and equalized in labours and victuals, clothes, etc., with the meaner and younger sort, thought it some indignity and disrespect unto them. And for men's wives to be commanded to do service for other men, as dressing their meat, washing their clothes, etc., they deemed it a kind of slavery, neither could many husbands well brook it. Upon the point all being to have alike, and all to do alike, they thought themselves in the like condition, and one as good as another; and so, if it did not cut off those relations that God hath set amongst men, yet it did at least much diminish and take off the mutual respects that should be preserved amongst them. And would have been worse if they had been men of another condition. Let none object this is men's corruption, and nothing to the course itself. I answer, seeing all men have this corruption in them, God in His wisdom saw another course fitter for them.

The Founders' Constitution
    Volume 1, Chapter 16, Document 1
    Property: William Bradford, Of Plymouth Plantation 120--21
    The University of Chicago Press

Bradford, William. Of Plymouth Plantation, 1620--1647. Edited by Samuel Eliot Morison. New York: Modern Library, 1967.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Here in Arizona, a LOT of public land that has been open, is now closed to shooting and ATV riding simply because the "public" consist of a bunch of slobs that trash the land, and refuse to clean up after themselves. Public schools are getting worse every year, and public land seems to fall in right behind it. We're our own worst enemy.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    By acclaim, an award for battle services or fighting all comers.

But, you don't want to give it to descendents of Clovis, do you?

If you have a point to make, you should make it. Your obscurity isn't helping anyone.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    By acclaim, an award for battle services or fighting all comers.

But, you don't want to give it to descendents of Clovis, do you?

If you have a point to make, you should make it. Your obscurity isn't helping anyone.

I'm not being "obscure", you're being evasive. I'm just curious how you define land ownership. I'm starting to think you've never even thought about it.

Top Bottom