• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think it’s getting to the point where government won’t have to do that. It’s starting in schools where kids are punished for chewing a poptart in the shape of a gun. I don’t see any reason that would isolate bat **** craziness to teaching professions. As the product of bat **** crazy teachers grow up and move out into society, they’ll be the same way. If you show interest in guns, those people in power will enforce their social ideals. It’s happening already with the woke bull****. If they can’t get gun control through legislative actions they’ll do it through social pressure. Gasp! You have a SBR with a brace? :runaway: shun him!

And we we have a society of snitches as we learned in wuwho flu, people calling police on neighbors not social distancing, exercising, not wearing a mask, etc. The hoplophobes will definitely be calling in you pistol turned SBR...

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    SBR are close quarters imo... I would not take something like that outside the home yet alone let anyone know I had one if I did l.. 2 cents..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Like I said its my opinion.. I don't really see what good they have beyond close quarters

Just curious, what is your definition of "close quarters" and what caliber SBR isn't good beyond your definition of that distance?

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Just curious, what is your definition of "close quarters" and what caliber SBR isn't good beyond your definition of that distance?
    I'm thinking street widths and cal could vary as long as the rounds were loaded to not go through intended target and get a bystander.. like I said its all just my take.. ive never built a SBR just because its so cloudy on whats legal from state to state.. im not sure I even understand the SBR regulations in indiana well enough that I'd be comfortable building one.. im open to the logic of them if you present it:)

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    While I wouldn't use them as sniper rifles, I think SBRs can be very effective at distance. I have braced pistols in both 10mm (8" barrel) and .308 (10.3" barrel) that would be even more effective as SBRs and I definitely trust both well beyond close quarters as pistols. I've shot steel targets consistently with the 10mm at 100 yards and out to 200 yards with the .308. I think both could be effective at even greater distances, but that's as far as I've shot with them. I've considered getting a stamp to make the .308 pistol an SBR. :dunno:

I also sure as hell wouldn't be using the .308 pistol indoors, lol! It's definitely an "outdoor gun".

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    While I wouldn't use them as sniper rifles, I think SBRs can be very effective at distance. I have braced pistols in both 10mm (8" barrel) and .308 (10.3" barrel) that would be even more effective as SBRs and I definitely trust both well beyond close quarters as pistols. I've shot steel targets consistently with the 10mm at 100 yards and out to 200 yards with the .308. I think both could be effective at even greater distances, but that's as far as I've shot with them. I've considered getting a stamp to make the .308 pistol an SBR. :dunno:

I also sure as hell wouldn't be using the .308 pistol indoors, lol! It's definitely an "outdoor gun".
    Oh hell lol, a 308 indoors would probably shatter windows

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I'm thinking street widths and cal could vary as long as the rounds were loaded to not go through intended target and get a bystander.. like I said its all just my take.. ive never built a SBR just because its so cloudy on whats legal from state to state.. im not sure I even understand the SBR regulations in indiana well enough that I'd be comfortable building one.. im open to the logic of them if you present it:)

I don't want to derail or side track this thread again, but keep in mind an SBR is a barrel length under 16", so a 14.5" .308 Win or 6.5 Grendel would fall under that category. Those are more than capable of reaching out and touching someone/something effectively well past just across the street. And the MK18 has put down plenty of bad guys as well.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I don't want to derail or side track this thread again, but keep in mind an SBR is a barrel length under 16", so a 14.5" .308 Win or 6.5 Grendel would fall under that category. Those are more than capable of reaching out and touching someone/something effectively well past just across the street. And the MK18 has put down plenty of bad guys as well.
    Is there a lower limit on length?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    As mentioned shorter barreled traditional rifle calibers are effective well beyond HD ranges. Especially 6.5 Grendel and 300blk. 223 is stabilized in a 10.5 and from my 7.5 has no problems hammering ipsc targets at 200. There are so many myths about short barrels and degraded accuracy. Short barrel only effects velocity, it effects accuracy when it's too slow to stabilize. A 12.5" 6.5 Grendel remains effective past 500 years. My 13.7" Grendel is sub Moa at 100 and holding Moa at 200. Ethical hunting velocity and energy to 500 plus.

Even traditional pistol calibers benefit from a little more barrel. My 10.5 45acp is wildly fun at 200, challenging but fun.

Discounting the effectiveness of sbr's is a tactic that complianters use to justify gun control. every myth surrounding accuracy and effectiveness has been debunked in the last 10 years.

johny5

not a shill account
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    As mentioned shorter barreled traditional rifle calibers are effective well beyond HD ranges. Especially 6.5 Grendel and 300blk. 223 is stabilized in a 10.5 and from my 7.5 has no problems hammering ipsc targets at 200. There are so many myths about short barrels and degraded accuracy. Short barrel only effects velocity, it effects accuracy when it's too slow to stabilize. A 12.5" 6.5 Grendel remains effective past 500 years. My 13.7" Grendel is sub Moa at 100 and holding Moa at 200. Ethical hunting velocity and energy to 500 plus.

Even traditional pistol calibers benefit from a little more barrel. My 10.5 45acp is wildly fun at 200, challenging but fun.

Discounting the effectiveness of sbr's is a tactic that complianters use to justify gun control. every myth surrounding accuracy and effectiveness has been debunked in the last 10 years.

It is interesting to consider. I wonder - if the NFA did not exist, what would the market have settled on for the optimal length for a PDW.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Is there a lower limit on length?

Just to make sure we're delineating the recent discussion on SBRs from the overall topic of pistol braces... I don't think it's really barrel length that determines whether you might swap a pistol brace for an actual stock to turn a pistol into a SBR, but rather the intended use of the gun that drives that decision. For instance, I currently have 3 braced pistols and I would only consider converting one of them to a SBR (the .308). My reason for that is that a .308 pistol is probably going to be primarily used for medium range applications (hunting or target shooting) and the stock would help with stability and recoil management. However, given that my 10mm and 9mm braced pistols are more geared toward personal defense, I don't really need that extra stability and don't want the extra weight of a rifle stock. Though I suppose the barrel lengths are shorter as well, it's more about why I would need a stock versus a pistol brace.

For what it's worth, I have an SBA4 pistol brace on my .308 pistol and it's steady enough to where I don't have a strong desire to go the SBR route.

IMG_2563.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    It is interesting to consider. I wonder - if the NFA did not exist, what would the market have settled on for the optimal length for a PDW.

13.7 and 12.5 are pretty common among "operators" even 11.5 is gaining popularity. 13.7 is only popular because it can be pointed and welded to 16.1

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven

That is an awfully long time in flight. Do you just shoot it into orbit then?

Top Bottom