Black man shot in Kenosha, riots starting all over again...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    So my thought is : a situation where a citizen even has to know those "rules of engagement" to get the best outcome is a situation we should be trying to avoid unless it's necessary.

Where is it that they DON'T discuss what to do when a LEO attempts to detain you?

Regardless of your personal circumstances, FLEEING is never the right choice.
    You may not be aware of your rights. You may not be able to exercise your rights.

But I think we've shown that as soon as you aren't complying with that order, all bets are off. At best you'll be charged with RLE. And to be frank, I don't find much evidence of law-abiding un-wanted members of the public running away from such a request.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    All fair points. And the focus here is partially on "rules of engagement" between a citizen and LEO. In other words, if you are educated on those rules you cooperate quietly but decline search. If you are not as educated or nervous, you escalate to a situation where you are pursued, searched, or detained.

So my thought is : a situation where a citizen even has to know those "rules of engagement" to get the best outcome is a situation we should be trying to avoid unless it's necessary.

Eh, it's pretty simple. If a cop orders you to do something, comply. Don't answer questions. Do not consent to search and if they start searching anyhow, assert plainly that you do not consent to search. Ask if you're being detained, what for, and are you free to leave and go about you business. Rinse/repeat.

And when I say don't answer any questions, no matter how innocuous... like where you coming from? Your answer may put you near the scene of a crime just committed. And he stopped you because you/your car kinda, sorta matched the general description... and you were coming from that general direction. Now you're telling him you were two blocks away... looking guiltier by the second.

The more you talk, the more likely something you say will fit with whatever puzzle he's trying to solve.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Haha you got him good there!!
    Exactly what I thought.

I don't think he conceded the argument though?

Love the "marshally lawy" verbiage.

Yeah, I think Kenosha is a long way from needing martial law, and are proving the point (finally) by simply arresting rioters and letting the lawyers/judges sort it out.

Portland and Seattle are trying to prove the opposite point. :)

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    The war on drugs means that many cops regularly come in contact with small, untraceable contraband with high value and/or piles of cash. That's an opportunity for corrupt action with the 'bonus' of being effectively 'victimless'.

I don't know what that means. Especially with an unwritten dependent clause.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Who in the hell is this Marshall character everyone has a problem with anyhow?

103662070_Mandatory_Credit_Photo_by_Action_Press-REX-Shutterstock_193201a__GARRY_MARSHALL__GARRY_MAR_trans%2B%2BBLJ2sE_Ek2cF-pLto2KbX5H7HdtPYbQqugTYPa3lFtY.jpg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Yeah, I think Kenosha is a long way from needing martial law, and are proving the point (finally) by simply arresting rioters and letting the lawyers/judges sort it out.

I agree, in that I believe many of these instigators will stop when faced with the slightest bit of resistance.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I agree. Some politicians thought they could gain points by pretending that all of the rioters are peaceful protesters, and that isn't working out so well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom