• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Will always be bigoted against ignorant fools who think that it's cool to use a treason banner rooted in slavery as some sort of impotent runner-up middle finger to "the establishment." But I do appreciate their propensity for garish adornment of themselves, their vehicles and their homes with their stickers, clothing, banners and such. Makes avoidance quick and easy.

:)
    I caught the snark directed at me. I'll not argue the point that it may be misguided ignorance to use the rebel flag in a manner that I pointed out. At the risk of receiving anther snarky response, I'll sat this. Ignorant though it may be as you say it still doesn't invalidate the point that it cannot be said with any degree of certainty that it is totally done with racist intent.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Let me relate this story. When I first moved to Missippi I was pretty astonished how racially integrated people were, at least in the area I moved to. I'm not gonna claim it was this way everywhere in MS. I was really apprehensive moving there because of the historical racial problems in Missippi.

In the North, at the time, there was a black and white everything. In the break room, blacks sit with other blacks, whites sit with other whites. People socialized pretty much exclusively with people who looked like them.

My first surprise was walking in the break room and seeing both races mingling together. The segregation was more along class lines. Black management sat with white management. White hourly sat with black hourly. I thought. Wow. Missippi? I mean, the culture has more similarities than differences between blacks and whites. Both eat collard greens. Fried okra. etcetera. Do BBQ very similar. Have much the same values. Very religious. But they still don't go to the same churches. Probably because the white church is extraordinarily stogy, stuffy, and boring. Black church is very lively and definitely not boring.

There was an old white woman who lived down the street from me. She asked me to fix her computer from time to time. We got to talking about how I liked Missippi, and how hard of an adjustment it was. I ain't gonna lie. It was a culture shock I did not expect. Rule one. Put a good face on if they bring you food that you don't like. Smile and eat it anyway. It's just better that way.

Anyway, on the topic of how different Missippi was, I mentioned that I did not expect blacks and whites in Missippi to get along well, given the history. That I was apprehensive about moving there because of the history. I was afraid all my neighbors would be KKK, and burn crosses and **** next door. But, it's not like history depicted.

She was old enough at the time to have lived during Jim Crow. She was young then but remembered it. I suspect she was as racist as anyone in the South at that time. I asked what changed? She said that movie, Mississippi Burning. She said she can't speak for everyone but she thought that many people were embarrassed and ashamed after watching it. I dunno if I buy that. But people there seemed to get along.

Wonder what it's like now 20 years later, after wokism insists that white people can't help but be racists.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Man, we are really getting deep into this subject again. What does this have anything to do with Trump being indited? I suppose as always, we all have to talk about something in the interim between now and Trump's next court hearing on Dec 4th.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Will always be bigoted against ignorant fools who think that it's cool to use a treason banner rooted in slavery as some sort of impotent runner-up middle finger to "the establishment." But I do appreciate their propensity for garish adornment of themselves, their vehicles and their homes with their stickers, clothing, banners and such. Makes avoidance quick and easy.

:)
    Maybe you should read a book. Learn what parts you got wrong about the other side. Every culture has a story about how it was shaped. But you're looking for reasons not to look. Trying to sling a bunch of pejoratives together doesn't make you sound any more on top of reality. You don't know anything about the topic. You've no substance.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Man, we are really getting deep into this subject again. What does this have anything to do with Trump being indited? I suppose as always, we all have to talk about something in the interim between now and Trump's next court hearing on Dec 4th.
    Well. It's a Sunday. I'm recovering from an illness. And a slow news day.

Reactions: KG1

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    To be fair, it's not a long road to manipulate perception that a symbol is racist when that symbol was literally a battle flag for traitors who started a war with their fellow citizens in support of the instutition of slavery. It's not like the swastika, a pre-existing symbol which was hijacked by Nazis. The origin of the flag is clear and undeniable. "Heritage" is a recent excuse to fly the loser banner by morons who are inordinately proud of 2nd place.

1681065417444.png

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Maybe you should read a book. Learn what parts you got wrong about the other side. Every culture has a story about how it was shaped. But you're looking for reasons not to look. Trying to sling a bunch of pejoratives together doesn't make you sound any more on top of reality. You don't know anything about the topic. You've no substance.
    Maybe I'm not the one who is not in tune with reality. Things are as they are, not as the beard-stroking theorists, who think that they are the main character, want them to be.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well. It's a Sunday. I'm recovering from an illness. And a slow news day.
    Just to be clear I wasn't referring to your recent post preceding mine about your experience which I enjoyed reading. I was talking about the subject as a whole.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I caught the snark directed at me. I'll not argue the point that it may be misguided ignorance to use the rebel flag in a manner that I pointed out. At the risk of receiving anther snarky response, I'll sat this. Ignorant though it may be as you say it still doesn't invalidate the point that it cannot be said with any degree of certainty that it is totally done with racist intent.
    I think quite a bit more knowledge about it is required before claiming they're just stupid and ignorant.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think quite a bit more knowledge about it is required before claiming they're just stupid and ignorant.
    Which gets to my point. Even though if some might be inclined to accept R45's premise for the sake of argument it still cannot be said that its all motivated by racist intent. That's the point I'm making and if I'm not mistaken a point that you have been trying to make as well.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Which gets to my point. Even though if some might be inclined to accept R45's premise for the sake of argument it still cannot be said that its all motivated by racist intent. That's the point I'm making and if I'm not mistaken a point that you have been trying to make as well.
    Oh, hell. R45 doesn't have a premise.

If you want to know if someone's a racist, you don't need a flag to figure it out.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Oh, hell. R45 doesn't have a premise.

If you want to know if someone's a racist, you don't need a flag to figure it out.
    I guess the act of flying a rebel flag in and of itself is an act of racism, never mind there may not be any other indicators to back that premise up.

Top Bottom