• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I absolutely understand the point you are making, amd I agree that google has some really questionable politics that skew their results…but you have to admit the optics here are pretty striking.

If I google “cat” I get images of cats.

If I google “tabby kitten” the results get more specific.

I can’t help but notice your specific results for “racist flag” contain a pretty large amount of southern culture, too…even on the non-google search.

There is no escaping the racist connection to this symbol, regardless of how many non-racist Mississippians Jamil throws at the problem, theoretical or otherwise.
    Perception is not reality. If you google men can have babies, it will tell you they can. Does that make it true?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    “It took a pandemic and mass blanket ballot distribution, Zuckerberg drop boxes, and vote mules to cause him to lose re-election when he received the most votes of any incumbent in history.”

“America has also seen an administration that is more committed to pronouns and surgeries for minors (behind their parents’ backs) than they are to the welfare of our entire nation’s future.”

“And the only way the anti-American forces would defeat him (hence the people) would be to jail him.”

“A task they will fail at in a humiliating fashion.”

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That is a horrible way to determine if the flag is racist.

First those results are based upon web content. That is far from a representation of what people think. Second, Google is well known for social engineering, so the results are what Google wants them to be.

My Google search shows only one other flag other than the battle flag.
    View attachment 268785
    My Duck Duck Go search also had others among the top results.
    View attachment 268784
    How about that poll in the bottom right from 2015?
    Wait. They got the thin blue line as racist? If that's a racist flag, is there anyone who still thinks it's a valid test?

If it shows the confederate battle flag at all, I'd say that might be evidence that it can be used as a racist symbol. But no one here is saying that it can't. We're saying that it has way more purposes than just being racist.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    “It took a pandemic and mass blanket ballot distribution, Zuckerberg drop boxes, and vote mules to cause him to lose re-election when he received the most votes of any incumbent in history.”

“America has also seen an administration that is more committed to pronouns and surgeries for minors (behind their parents’ backs) than they are to the welfare of our entire nation’s future.”

“And the only way the anti-American forces would defeat him (hence the people) would be to jail him.”

“A task they will fail at in a humiliating fashion.”

Well. I agree with the first two paragraphs wholeheartedly. The last two are questionable, to put it equitably. They beat him once. They're just leaving as little as possible to chance.

And it's not all that certain they'll fail, especially not in humiliating fashion. They can get a jury to go full stack murder on Chauvin, when the evidence at most supported negligent homicide. When you can get a jury to judge severity of guilt by the degree to which you disagree with or hate someone, it's not hard to get an unjust verdict.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I absolutely understand the point you are making, amd I agree that google has some really questionable politics that skew their results…but you have to admit the optics here are pretty striking.

If I google “cat” I get images of cats.

If I google “tabby kitten” the results get more specific.

I can’t help but notice your specific results for “racist flag” contain a pretty large amount of southern culture, too…even on the non-google search.

There is no escaping the racist connection to this symbol, regardless of how many non-racist Mississippians Jamil throws at the problem, theoretical or otherwise.
    Again, as you build up the straw, I just burn it down. no one is saying there is no connection. I even talked about the history of the KKK using the flag from the start. Unquestionably racist groups use the flag. And no one has denied that. But it's ignorant and bigoted to think that the primary use of it is exclusively for racist purposes. That's been my point. And you've already shown that your belief is not just that it's a bad look, but you at least find it difficult to accept that people display that flag for non-racist reasons.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's a flag that can only possibly represent a universal symbol of racism according to a media driven perception.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Perception is not reality. If you google men can have babies, it will tell you they can. Does that make it true?
    Using google images to figure out what people think in any proportion is dubious. There are biases built in that aren't even political. So let's ignore Google's San Francisco Bay regional bias. The people who might think the rebel flag is only a racist symbol would tend to post it on social media a lot, especially when some event has heightened racial tensions.

In contrast, maybe you might catch the flag in a photo of someone's BBQ. But that's not a hot topic, so I would expect way more people posting it to social media than people who simply view it as part of their culture.

Then add the Bay area bias and you get stupid **** like people posting the thin blue line flag as a racist symbol? Now. do we think that LG would seriously think the thin blue line is racist? Well, not if his representation of himself on INGO is honest.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's a flag that can only represent a universal symbol of racism according to a media driven perception.
    Which is [willfully] ignorant. Which was my point. If people would correct their ignorance, perhaps they wouldn't believe the US is orders of magnitude more racist than it actually is. But we can't have nice things.

ETA "willfully"

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Which is [willfully] ignorant. Which was my point. If people would correct their ignorance, perhaps they wouldn't believe the US is orders of magnitude more racist than it actually is. But we can't have nice things.

ETA "willfully"
    The perception stems from an agenda. it's a perception that they want people to believe. It's how they operate.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Perception is born out of manipulation.
    To be fair, it's not a long road to manipulate perception that a symbol is racist when that symbol was literally a battle flag for traitors who started a war with their fellow citizens in support of the instutition of slavery. It's not like the swastika, a pre-existing symbol which was hijacked by Nazis. The origin of the flag is clear and undeniable. "Heritage" is a recent excuse to fly the loser banner by morons who are inordinately proud of 2nd place.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    To be fair, it's not a long road to manipulate perception that a symbol is racist when that symbol was literally a battle flag for traitors who started a war with their fellow citizens in support of the instutition of slavery. It's not like the swastika, a pre-existing symbol which was hijacked by Nazis. The origin of the flag is clear and undeniable. "Heritage" is a recent excuse to fly the loser banner by morons who are inordinately proud of 2nd place.
    I think where the manipulation comes into play today is to get people to perceive that the only reason to possibly fly the flag is for racial purposes.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I think where the manipulation comes into play today is to get people to perceive that the only reason to possibly fly the flag is for racial purposes.
    I can't imagine why a symbol that originated in the defense of slavery would ever be perceived to be racist.

:):

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I can't imagine why a symbol that originated in the defense of slavery would ever be perceived to be racist.

:):
    That's not exactly addressing what I said. Can your anyone else with any degree of certainty say that the only possible reason the flag is flown today is because of racist intent?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That's not exactly addressing what I said. Can your anyone else with any degree of certainty say that the only possible reason the flag is flown today is because of racist intent?
    Oh, I'm not saying that people fly it strictly because of racism. Simple ignorance and stupidity explain a lot of why people do what they do. Lots of "sOuThErN pRiDe" north of the Mason-Dixon these days.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I mean, you can be a snarky ******* if you want. It's your choice. But that bit helped erase whatever you said prior that was actually well reasoned. You started off well. It certainly is understandable why people who know nothing about the culture would think that flag only has a racist purpose. But to squeel like pigs when someone proposes that there are many other purposes than racism and hate. Makes you sound like you have your own bigotry to deal with.

The "Southern Culture" that formed over generations was way more influenced by the impact of reconstruction than because poor people really wanted the Aristocracy to be able to keep their slave labor. Racism was certainly a part of that, but for most people it mostly faded.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When people have no interest in hashing out both sides of an issue, because they think they have a complete picture from their perspective, it's what they do.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Oh, I'm not saying that people fly it strictly because of racism. Simple ignorance and stupidity explain a lot of why people do what they do. Lots of "sOuThErN pRiDe" north of the Mason-Dixon these days.
    Which can only mean that people north of the Mason-Dixon line are flying it out of racist intent.

Couldn't possibly be a symbol of an anti-establishment middle finger of rebellion without racist intent. It's been pointed out upthread the rebel flag and rebel flag stickers and such have been co-opted for years to symbolize that.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Makes you sound like you have your own bigotry to deal with.
    Will always be bigoted against ignorant fools who think that it's cool to use a treason banner rooted in slavery as some sort of impotent runner-up middle finger to "the establishment." But I do appreciate their propensity for garish adornment of themselves, their vehicles and their homes with their stickers, clothing, banners and such. Makes avoidance quick and easy.

:)

Top Bottom