Not open for further replies.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Were you not cautioning me upthread that 90% efficacy still meant 10% were exposed? Would not the interaction between any two random individuals result in a 1% risk of new infection in that scenario? 1% of 331 million would seem to be a potential viral reservoir of 3+ million even at 100% compliance, would that not be sufficient to drive ongoing mutation (without even considering migration from other parts of the world)?

Yes, I don't know how much mutation it will take for a coronavirus to become resistant to a vaccine. But AIUI, the less replication the better.

I'm not saying don't get vaccinated, I'm just willing to let you go first.
    I can relate to that. I'm not going to try to jump the line, but if no new concerns arise I'll take it when it's my turn.

I am uneasy when people will argue that herd immunity won't work but a vaccine will (although it would seem both rely on the same immune mechanisms)
    The hope and expectation is that we get enough people vaccinated in combination with the previously-infected to produce herd immunity. Durability of immunity is obviously a question. What I'm seeing in the re-infection reports is that almost no one has a serious infection twice, so that's hopeful.

Edit: the arguments against herd immunity without a vaccine was that it would produce too much disease and death, and possibly even more economic damage in the process .

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Speaking of vaccines, the current exponential growth rate in deaths looks like it will continue through the new year.

Back in March-April, there was about 4-6 weeks of exponential growth of deaths, when this was pretty new and we didn't have great treatment options. It looks like we'll have that kind of extended run, with much higher numbers involved.

I think the only thing that will really interrupt that cycle is effective vaccination. We have too big of a population for it to burn out any time soon.

For as much as I'll probably avoid getting one right away, the sooner it gets here, the better. We may look back and say that - based on numbers - it got here in the nick of time.

And yes, JTscribe, that does sound like the setup to a solid zombie story. ;)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Speaking of vaccines, the current exponential growth rate in deaths looks like it will continue through the new year.

Back in March-April, there was about 4-6 weeks of exponential growth of deaths, when this was pretty new and we didn't have great treatment options. It looks like we'll have that kind of extended run, with much higher numbers involved.

I think the only thing that will really interrupt that cycle is effective vaccination. We have too big of a population for it to burn out any time soon.

For as much as I'll probably avoid getting one right away, the sooner it gets here, the better. We may look back and say that - based on numbers - it got here in the nick of time.

Got a call today about another vaccine trial. Maybe third time's the charm.

If I go zombie, I will start a thread about it in the Break Room.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Today's worldometers derived CFR is 1.94% (to three significant figures) down from 1.98% when I last calculated it 4 days ago

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

That sounds like an SNL skit - zombified medmal lawyer.

Or a Stephen King story.

:eek:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Yes, I don't know how much mutation it will take for a coronavirus to become resistant to a vaccine. But AIUI, the less replication the better.

I can relate to that. I'm not going to try to jump the line, but if no new concerns arise I'll take it when it's my turn.

The hope and expectation is that we get enough people vaccinated in combination with the previously-infected to produce herd immunity. Durability of immunity is obviously a question. What I'm seeing in the re-infection reports is that almost no one has a serious infection twice, so that's hopeful.

Edit: the arguments against herd immunity without a vaccine was that it would produce too much disease and death, and possibly even more economic damage in the process .

Some of the odd things I track in the spreadsheet include the percentage listed as "critical" who end up dying on a given day.

That's been tracking pretty consistently over time at about 7% (+/- 2%). Recently, that's jumped to 10%. Won't know for awhile if that is an anomaly or something, but it was surprising because we do seem to have better treatments. It seems like those treatments, though, are best used to keep someone from becoming "critical." Once a patient reaches that stage, it seems like there aren't great options to get back from that.

You (and others) are closer to that dynamic than me, so I'll defer to you on that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I dunno. Can zombies start threads? They don't seem to have sufficient dexterity to use a keyboard. But then I can sometimes get by posting with an iphone, so maybe it doesn't matter.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I dunno. Can zombies start threads? They don't seem to have sufficient dexterity to use a keyboard. But then I can sometimes get by posting with an iphone, so maybe it doesn't matter.

You must be new to INGO.

I think it happened today - mod got a head shot on 'em.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Zombies can do anything - they just make a donation to the clinton foundation along with their request and wahlah, it gets done.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Not for 1.5k! Pass on that.
    But I do wonder at what price would you say yes.

I’m a farmer and deal with uncle sugar, his cash giveaways and big pharmaceuticals all the time. 1.5K isn’t enough for me to be a lab rat. l’m not anti vaccine but have seen plenty of failures in the herbicide/pesticide world to know that first one out of the gate isn’t always the best.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    And the man standing up gets smacked for not staying in line for tyrannical mother ****ing sons of *****es...

https://www.theblaze.com/news/auton...utm_term=ACTIVE LIST - TheBlaze Breaking News

An interesting excerpt....

"This order simply says that they need to cease and desist," Lanza announced to a crowd of supporters. "Nowhere here is there an arrest warrant and nowhere here is anything about arresting anyone on their private property."
    "So I'll ask, [and] you don't have to answer ... why was he arrested?" he said to the officers nearby. "I was told you would tell me why he was arrested and now I'm asking for that answer."

Place smells a bit more like the USSR with each passing day.

I saw an update on this tonight.

After being removed from the property in cuffs a couple of nights ago, the owner of Mac's Public House announced he spent the last two days in a diplomatic effort pleading with the mayor, governor and sheriff for help in finding a way to keep their business (and other small businesses) open.

That hasn't happened so Mac's Public House is now open and will not close.

Good for him!!!!

It's about time somebody starts taking a stand against these mother ****ers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom