• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gniks18

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    I have yet to see any argument which conclusively illustrates the beneficial effects of raising the minimum wage. As stated in the original post, raising the min wage = instant guaranteed inflation.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    Higher minimum wage = more unemployed, more unemployed = more people forced to take government benefits, more people on government benefits = more Democrat voters/indentured followers. Obama's math is quite easy to follow.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Higher minimum wage = more unemployed, more unemployed = more people forced to take government benefits, more people on government benefits = more Democrat voters/indentured followers. Obama's math is quite easy to follow.

Whodathunk?

Screw it, gun the gas! The repubs should counter with a raise to $12 an hour! (or better yet $120!)

Maybe if we get going fast enough we can crash land on the other side of the gorge without landing in a total police state. :xmad:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Many unions won't have to. Lots of them have their wages pegged to the minimum wage, so that when it goes up, their wages go up. It's a win/win for the unions. A rise in the MW is an instant pay raise for them.

You are exactly right. This means even more inflation.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I would like to preface my comment by saying that my wife and I watched the state off the union address and my comment here is the exact same idea I relayed to her the minute he finished that segment. I would also like to say that I haven't read a single piece of this thread, not even the OP. I will go back and read but I didn't want my thoughts to be influenced by everyone else's.

Raising the minimum wage is a ridiculous idea and will do as much harm to this country than about any other policy they can think of.

Why you ask? The first thing you have to understand is where the funds will come from to pay the employees the increased wages. They will come directly from profits and we know how big business is and they WILL NOT sacrifice their profits. This will in turn cause them to raise the cost of their goods and/or services making it harder for anyone making more than minimum wage to maintain their current level of livelihood. This will place more Americans below the poverty line causing them to turn to the government for assistance. This places even more burden on a broken system thus pushing our country further down the path of implosion.

What about small business? You know, the guys that are all ready more expensive than the big stores and as such, can't afford to raise the cost of their goods and/or services? Many are going to be left with no options other than closing up shop while others will turn to reducing their work force to compensate for the lost wages. So much for all this talk of helping rebuild America by helping the small business man!

Will this be the straw that breaks the camels back? No. Does this add to the mountain of straw already bearing down on said camels back? Yes.

I must say, I feel sorry for those struggling to live on the current minimum wage but a mandatory increase will not help the problem at all and will only create or compound other problems.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Why not make the minimum wage like $25 an hour? Why not $30?

Why not, indeed? If someone "deserves" $9, how can you argue they don't deserve $10? or $25?

Unemployment among the very poorest Americans is already atrociously high. This will NOT help the poor. It will only help those few poor that are are already making more than $9 by ensuring no one poorer can come work for less and take their job.

The outcome is that it will reduce the total income of the poorest Americans by keeping them out of work and on the welfare dole.

Of course, with THIS President, you can never be sure that's not the plan all along...

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have yet to see any argument which conclusively illustrates the beneficial effects of raising the minimum wage. As stated in the original post, raising the min wage = instant guaranteed inflation.

No. Inflation has nothing to do with causing inflation. High inflation can raise wages, but not the other way around.

This was a common myth of the Carter era, and it was disproven even then.

Inflation only comes from the proportion of money relative to the size of an economy. If they grow or shrink at the same rate, you see no inflation or deflation. If one goes faster than the other, you will see either inflation (money growing faster) or deflation (output growing faster).

JH

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    It's not a serious proposal, just the usual Democrat ploy -- propose something that sounds good to unthinking idiots but has no chance of passing and then pillory the GOP for being heartless monsters for opposing it. Obama got re-elected on this strategy and it's all he knows.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Well, let's see. GWB didn't reinstate the AWB. That makes him OK in my book.
    Funny thing about that. Bush & Kerry agreed on gun control.

George W. Bush on Gun Control

Q: You said if Congress would vote to extend the ban on assault weapons, that you’d sign the legislation, but you did nothing to encourage Congress to extend it.

BUSH: I did think we ought to extend the assault weapons ban and was told the bill was never going to move. I believe law-abiding citizens ought to be able to own a gun. I believe in background checks. The best way to protect our citizens from guns is to prosecute those who commit crimes with guns.

KERRY: I am a hunter. I’m a gun owner. I’m also a former law enforcement officer. I ran one of the largest district attorney’s offices in America. I know something about prosecuting. Most of the law enforcement agencies wanted that assault weapons ban. They don’t want to go into a drug bust and be facing an AK-47. Because of the president’s decision today, law enforcement officers will walk into a place that will be more dangerous. Terrorists can now come to America, go to a gun show and, without a background check, buy an assault weapon.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    “Even with the tax relief we’ve put in place, a family with two kids that earns the minimum wage still lives below the poverty line. That’s wrong,” Mr. Obama said in his State of the Union address Tuesday night. “Let’s declare that in the wealthiest nation on earth, no one who works full time should have to live in poverty.”

He is saying that FULL TIME employees should get the wage increase.

Does this mean then, people who work PART TIME will not get their wages increased? If this is the case, then I really hope this gets defeated.

Just my :twocents:

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Falls in line with some of the "leaks" we've seen from DHS regarding the collapse of the dollar. Getting my tin foil hat.

All I hear every day is how expensive the items in the store I work at are. This would just put the icing on the cake.

It's not a serious proposal, just the usual Democrat ploy -- propose something that sounds good to unthinking idiots but has no chance of passing and then pillory the GOP for being heartless monsters for opposing it. Obama got re-elected on this strategy and it's all he knows.

images

Top Bottom