• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Wait, wait, wait....are you saying that there is a time machine where we can go back and nominate someone else in 2000? 'Cause, otherwise, this "blame Bush" stuff is pretty played out.
    Wait, are you saying that Bush is not responsible for owning the bills he signed?

I think a little historical context is good for us. Bush, Romney, and Obama are all in total agreement on this issue (and many others). It might be uncomfortable to learn this if you are ultra-partisan.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    A minimum wage hike is just more political theater by President Barry. He knows it's not economically wise, but he can propose it and then demonize republicans as anti-poor and middle-class when they come out against the plan. It's BHO politics 101 -- propose something ridiculous but feel good enough that his ignorant voter base will be all for it and hate the GOP even more when they don't go along with the stupidity.

The sad thing is in today's America his cynical tactics work like a charm because a huge chunk of the population is too dumb or oblivious to know better.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Wait, are you saying that Bush is not responsible for owning the bills he signed?

I think a little historical context is good for us. Bush, Romney, and Obama are all in total agreement on this issue (and many others). It might be uncomfortable to learn this if you are ultra-partisan.

Regarding the minimum wage being and extremely poor idea, and raising it- worse- I don't care who did it. They're politicians. I am a Bush supporter, some would say fan, but I, by no means, believe that everything he did was right or wise. No politician is perfect and all have flaws. He was wrong on this one.

....so, where does that get us in the present debate about raising it?

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Everyone here understands that inflation happens. Right? Historically it hovers somewhere around 3%.

So if inflation happens and people's incomes don't rise; aren't they effectively becoming poorer over time?

I'm not getting cost of living raises half the time because of this sucky economy and I'm a degreed RF Engineer.

And yes, you do become relatively poorer over time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Everyone here understands that inflation happens. Right? Historically it hovers somewhere around 3%.

So if inflation happens and people's incomes don't rise; aren't they effectively becoming poorer over time?

Yes, they are. The issue here being that raising the minimum wage can't fix that, since minimum wage increases costs to businesses who sell essential items (gas, food, restaurant services etc) and basic services who pass them on to the consumer...which includes the people who want more money to buy the gas, food, restaurant services etc.

Honestly raising the minimum wage really hurts the people in the bracket just above those jobs: the $9-$12 an hour jobs. They stand to lose a major amount of their buying power if the minimum wage is raised.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Regarding the minimum wage being and extremely poor idea, and raising it- worse- I don't care who did it. They're politicians. I am a Bush supporter, some would say fan, but I, by no means, believe that everything he did was right or wise. No politician is perfect and all have flaws. He was wrong on this one.
    Let's be honest here. He was basically a statist across the board. Patriot Act, bailouts, DHS, TSA, No Child Left Behind, Minimum Wage hike, TARP, light bulb ban, militarized police departments, citizen watch lists, record-setting spending, tons of foreign aid & globalism. Any constitution-believing capitalist should be appalled at what occurred under Bush.

Its OK to call out Bush for being a tyrant. It doesn't turn you into a supporter of Gore, Kerry, or Obama.

....so, where does that get us in the present debate about raising it?
    I think it shows us how the Establishment has favored continually raising the minimum wage, and many of the same Republican leaders who supported it before are still in office.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Let's be honest here. He was basically a statist across the board. Patriot Act, bailouts, DHS, TSA, No Child Left Behind, Minimum Wage hike, TARP, light bulb ban, militarized police departments, citizen watch lists, record-setting spending, tons of foreign aid & globalism. Any constitution-believing capitalist should be appalled at what occurred under Bush.

Its OK to call out Bush for being a tyrant. It doesn't turn you into a supporter of Gore, Kerry, or Obama.

I think it shows us how the Establishment has favored continually raising the minimum wage, and many of the same Republican leaders who supported it before are still in office.

No matter how hard you try, I'm not going to drag your thread off topic.

....back to the minimum wage where we agree.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Where does the Federal government draw this power to set a minimum wage anyways? Can't seem to find it anywhere in the Constitution and that means the 10th Amendment prohibits it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The same place they claim gives them all the powers they don't rightfully have- "Interstate Commerce" and Wickard v. Filburn

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013

But.... but.... but how could he be a statist? He was a Republican

We essentially went from statist to statist on roids.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Milton said it best....nearly 40 years ago.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8Z__o52sk[/ame]

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The unions will also demand increases for their members to offset what the minimum wage would become.
    Many unions won't have to. Lots of them have their wages pegged to the minimum wage, so that when it goes up, their wages go up. It's a win/win for the unions. A rise in the MW is an instant pay raise for them.

Top Bottom