• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Catching up on this thread makes me glad I'm gainfully employed, even though I hate my job. W, T, F? :facepalm:

I should have stayed at work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    See? CM knows how to do popcorn. Ain't no better soda that goes with popcorn than sprite/7-up/sierra mist. Well. Sierra mist if there's absolutely nothing else.

I would rep you if you showed it.

Stove top corn in a good pot in the right oil. Real butter and real salt. And a Sprite over ice.
    :drool:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I would rep you if you showed it.

Stove top corn in a good pot in the right oil. Real butter and real salt. And a Sprite over ice.
    :drool:

:dunno:

2OlIDbO.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's a comment meant for a specific person, but using general stereotypes of an entire group.
    As a kid, I was teased by other black kids because I made good grades, my parents dressed me spiffy, and stayed out of nonsense. They said I was "acting white." It was meant as an insult, conversely, my white friend would say I was the "whitest black kid," which is also nonsense, for the same reasons. They meant it as a compliment. Regardless as to whether anyone wants to admit it or not, they know that when they say someone is "acting black" they typically associate it with negative things. I'm trying to change that perception because it IS widespread. So in that regard, AOC's comment is spot on, but it's not unique to any one group, and entirely based on the ignorance of what is really being said.

Sorry for the segway, but it was related to a comment made by AOC, so now you guys can go back to talking about how crazy she is.

Well. She is crazy.

Anyway. When i was in 3rd grade I had friend from church who was black. He and I were the only kids our age so we kinda hung out. I don't recall talking much about race except how to get to his house without getting beat up. At a pot luck or some other social event where people eat, that ******* threw some chocolate pudding at my face and said, now I could go to his neighborhood without getting beat up. All the stodgy old hags at pot luck and you'd think someone would have brought some tapioca. :dunno:

Outside of shared physical characteristics, your comment is false.

Ideally that's true, but in the real world it's at least a little true in practical terms. Stereotypes get set into people's minds for a reason. Often because of the behavior of many, or just a few. Of course you can't extrapolate the behavior of a few or even many to an entire race. Skin color has almost nothing to do with it. But only almost. In cultures where race is tightly coupled with the cultural behavior, those stereotypes become more accurate. It's obviously the culture that makes it accurate, and that's kinda what I thought Ziggy was saying. A lot of the examples were cultures, not races. The race part isn't as important as the culture part, but because the culture is so tightly coupled to race, it's just too easy to make it about the physical features of the people who are predominantly that culture.

There's a reason my friend and I both knew I'd get beat up if I was seen in that neighborhood. Was it stereotyping? Yeah. It was an accurate one too, and we both knew it.

BTW, I just remembered an example of hearing the kinds of talk that you said was soft racism. In college, for a while I had two room mates. A black guy and a white guy. We all all got along pretty well. Partied too hard. Grades suffered. Whatever. The black guy, didn't really hang out with other black people. He hung out with mostly white people. Sometimes the white guy would say things like you asked about. One time, he said something in a joking way, but it was pretty racist, I won't say what it was. It wasn't funny. Then 20 years later he called me out of the blue just to catch up. He at some point during the conversation he mentioned, "the 'n-word's around here have a real chip on their shoulders." Now, I've heard that same thing said in the South before. I didn't know exactly what was meant by it. But I'm pretty sure it's racist. It seemed pretty clear back when we were roommates, he tolerated the black guy because he "acted white". That's hard racism. There was an underlying assumption on the white guy's part that he was superior.

AOC is full of ****. She said people might be racist and don't know it because we don't educate people to know the subtleties (paraphrasing). That's the standard line "micro-agression" nonsense. It may be true enough that a lot of people who are racists deny they are. But saying the "n-word" around here have a chip on their shoulders is overtly racist. That's not soft racism. That's not just a micro-agression. When someone says, "hey, you're all right because you act white." Dude, that's not soft. You can still be friendly to someone and yet be a racist towards them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm confused - we're constantly picking on Elizabeth Warren, and her Native American claims, but you're willing to give Dolezal a pass? Why? Just to argue against Kut? :dunno:

Doesn't the fact that she overtly claimed to be black suffice?

Tangent: This argument made me think of this:
    tenor.gif

Dolezal was an example of literally reverse racism.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    See? CM knows how to do popcorn. Ain't no better soda that goes with popcorn than sprite/7-up/sierra mist. Well. Sierra mist if there's absolutely nothing else.

I figured this was your drink of choice.
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.dollargeneral.com/crush-pineapple-soda-12-fl-oz-cans-12-pack.html

[/FONT]:stickpoke::cheers:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hold on there my friend....reverse racism is not a thing. I learned that right here on Ingo. I got chewed on real good for saying that.

But yes, I see it a lot.

I did say literally. If racism is thinking your race is superior, then literally, reverse racism is thinking someone else's race is superior. Kinda seems to fit Dolezal.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I figured this was your drink of choice.
    https://www.dollargeneral.com/crush-pineapple-soda-12-fl-oz-cans-12-pack.html

:stickpoke::cheers:

Eh. There's probably a good purpose for that. Does it seem to explode nicely when shot? Might make a good target. Hope it has a diet version. Diet sodas seem to attract ants less when you shoot them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did say literally. If racism is thinking your race is superior, then literally, reverse racism is thinking someone else's race is superior. Kinda seems to fit Dolezal.

In this PC screwed up mess we (Whites) have been labeled the oppressors. We are the only group/culture/whatever capable of being racists. It is the current narrative. So apparently when we are treated in the same fashion with contempt/name calling etc it is OK because it is not the same thing. The term reverse comes from that treatment/action being turned around on us us meaning whites.

Now this is a very loose way of describing this but the base meaning is in there.

This whole topic is a hot spot for all of us. The term Racist has been weaponized by people to beat down the opposition when nothing else works.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In this PC screwed up mess we (Whites) have been labeled the oppressors. We are the only group/culture/whatever capable of being racists. It is the current narrative. So apparently when we are treated in the same fashion with contempt/name calling etc it is OK because it is not the same thing. The term reverse comes from that treatment/action being turned around on us us meaning whites.

Now this is a very loose way of describing this but the base meaning is in there.

This whole topic is a hot spot for all of us. The term Racist has been weaponized by people to beat down the opposition when nothing else works.

Yeah. When people say "reverse racism" they mean black racism against white. But that's not what it would literally mean. And I'm using literally in the correct sense of the definition. Literally "literally", if you will.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah. When people say "reverse racism" they mean black racism against white. But that's not what it would literally mean. And I'm using literally in the correct sense of the definition. Literally "literally", if you will.

Yeah. Since racism is thinking one race (usually your own) is genetically (for all intents and purposes) superior to another, would not a reverse racist think his race is genetically inferior? Like those pathetic individuals apologizing for their whiteness in a kind of perverse Stockholm Syndrome

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Something I have seen.
    We have a mixed area. Whites (a couple of us anyway) blacks Hispanics and other cultures. The terrorists (see avatar) go to the local indoctrination center with the kids. There are times when we have 4 or 5 different colors of kids in the back yard. Swimming. Hitting the trampoline. Having a ball on the big fort/swing set I built for them. There is seldom if ever an issue between them. Maybe fighting or one of the swings but not much past that. They all have a blast regardless of where they come from. There is no racial jealousy's. No predetermined notions. Just laughter and play. And the language barriers are easily overcome. I cant keep up but it means so little to them.

Ages range 3 to 12 years old in varying degrees. They are not yet tainted by the idiocy that is "Adults"
    They could give a rats behind. There are many lessons to be learned here.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

No that's not true. Don't take the opinions of the media talking heads, and those who see their views as gospel, as being representative of everyone who is non-white. Black people, Hispanics, Asians, can be just as racist, and more so than the biggest white racist you may currently know.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom