• ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't understand.
    What does it mean to say some one is "acting black?"
    Is it a comment on the person or on "blacks" in general?
    Does it mean different things for people with different skin tones?
    Help me understand.

It's a comment meant for a specific person, but using general stereotypes of an entire group.
    As a kid, I was teased by other black kids because I made good grades, my parents dressed me spiffy, and stayed out of nonsense. They said I was "acting white." It was meant as an insult, conversely, my white friend would say I was the "whitest black kid," which is also nonsense, for the same reasons. They meant it as a compliment. Regardless as to whether anyone wants to admit it or not, they know that when they say someone is "acting black" they typically associate it with negative things. I'm trying to change that perception because it IS widespread. So in that regard, AOC's comment is spot on, but it's not unique to any one group, and entirely based on the ignorance of what is really being said.

Sorry for the segway, but it was related to a comment made by AOC, so now you guys can go back to talking about how crazy she is.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Actually my relative is educated, never been to jail, talks with proper grammar and such. Your answer is actually pushing racism beyond what it actually is; just as others are trying to do - including AOC and others. You see, regardless if you like it or not, each culture, race, group has characteristics about hem. I laugh because Italians are made fun of because they use their hands to talk and other characteristics. Is that racism? Individuals from the south are different from those in the east and so on. Is knowing cultural differences actually racism? Many teen girls may act like valley girls (I may be outdating here). Is that a form of racism? My relative who may think they are black is married to a black person and they have children. We have had people claim they are black when they are not, people claim they are American Indian, again, my mom thought she was Italian. We have stores who cater to their community groups, outreach groups that are specific to neighborhood make ups.

Is all I have mentioned racism in YOUR eyes? I have no idea what your background is and who are or claim to be. All I know is that you see racism where it does not exist. Stop manufacturing racism where it does not exist. I remember years ago the push for Ebonics - remember that? Was that racism? If it was, who was the racist? Again, stop the insanity. Not everything is about race and not everything is as bad as you appear to make it. The only thing I am enlightened by is your continued effort to spread evil racism where there is none.

Is your relative like "US"? Is that a racist question? It's not the answer that enlightened me but rather that question!

Outside of shared physical characteristics, your comment is false.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What exactly did Dolezal do to convince others she was Black?

Gf68Cv9.jpg

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Huh? The question doesn't make any sense in the context of the conversation. It's just odd.

Sure it does. When talking about how it may be racism if a white references a black acting white and such, this is an appropriate question. I mean, this lady must have figured out there was a way, besides looking the part, to actually act black. I know many individuals who have different color skin and and act Indian, Pakistani, Egyptian....so many more. There must be an element that goes beyond skin color that allows one to be molded into a specific group. That in and of itself certainly is not racism but a fact.

So my question stands. What did the young lady do to convince others she was black? And is what she did considered racism as characterized by your previous posts? Acting black, white, asian, Italian must have some degree of characterization beyond skin color, no? Please think about your previous posts before you answer.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sure it does. When talking about how it may be racism if a white references a black acting white and such, this is an appropriate question. I mean, this lady must have figured out there was a way, besides looking the part, to actually act black. I know many individuals who have different color skin and and act Indian, Pakistani, Egyptian....so many more. There must be an element that goes beyond skin color that allows one to be molded into a specific group. That in and of itself certainly is not racism but a fact.

So my question stands. What did the young lady do to convince others she was black? And is what she did considered racism as characterized by your previous posts? Acting black, white, asian, Italian must have some degree of characterization beyond skin color, no? Please think about your previous posts before you answer.

I'm confused - we're constantly picking on Elizabeth Warren, and her Native American claims, but you're willing to give Dolezal a pass? Why? Just to argue against Kut? :dunno:

Doesn't the fact that she overtly claimed to be black suffice?

Tangent: This argument made me think of this:
    tenor.gif

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

It does have a characterization beyond skin color.... for certain people. People who should know better. The AOC comment that started this whole discussion is meant for people who believe such.

Top Bottom