• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Original 242 blew in my 2nd XJ. Replaced with used and it went 3 yrs.
    Replaced that one with another and it had about 5 yrs on it, with some wheeling too, before that vehicle got totalled.
    Currently have a used 242 in my ZJ.............and it has been on almost 4 yrs. I paid 185 bucks for it.

I don't expect 242's to last too long anyway. Anything over 3 yrs on a used one is OK in my book, esp if wheeled to
    moderate or heavier. If mine blows I'll just get another and swap it on a Saturday.

I paid 2500 for my rig 8 yrs ago. Seems silly to drop a grand or more for a new T case on such a beater.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Regular sockets and extensions, combination wrenches and floor jack/blocks.
    The only tool I bought was a curved box end wrench to help with the top two studs.
    All else you should have.

#1 item however is Kroil penetrating oil.

Won't touch a Jeep without it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Regular sockets and extensions, combination wrenches and floor jack/blocks.
    The only tool I bought was a curved box end wrench to help with the top two studs.
    All else you should have.

#1 item however is Kroil penetrating oil.

Won't touch a Jeep without it.

than stuff is expensive...and yes, I have a can of it

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    Gotta pay for the good stuff.

Bought a used truck...came w a TC...4x4 worked for 15 years I owned it. Used parts are like used vehicles. Dome are good n some...not.so.much.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Rubicon 3.5 kit complete. Now for some 31's

xj.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What does the jeeper crowd think about the new unlimiteds or the 4 doors?

They're nice. Most people will say to stay away from the 2007-2011 jeeps. Simply because of the 3.8 engine. They say they are horrible compared to the new 2012's and up, they have the new 3.6 engine.

My parents have a 2010 with the 3.8 engine, and I don't think its that bad at all. If I was in the market for one, I'd have no problem buying one in that year range, 07-11. The newer ones are just too dern expensive.

You still can't beat the TJ's though, that 4.0 engine is awesome. I'll never trade it in for the JK, but I can see myself buying a nice used JK in the near future to compliment my TJ. The 4 door, JKU, would be nice to have.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    New to me 31's on some 4.5" backspaced aftermarket rims....I'm going to need need to trim and/or lift some more. Anybody have an old xj lift for sale? Also, I need my rims sandblasted at some point....

IMG_20140424_171051723_zpsc3d803f3.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    They're nice. Most people will say to stay away from the 2007-2011 jeeps. Simply because of the 3.8 engine. They say they are horrible compared to the new 2012's and up, they have the new 3.6 engine.

My parents have a 2010 with the 3.8 engine, and I don't think its that bad at all. If I was in the market for one, I'd have no problem buying one in that year range, 07-11. The newer ones are just too dern expensive.

You still can't beat the TJ's though, that 4.0 engine is awesome. I'll never trade it in for the JK, but I can see myself buying a nice used JK in the near future to compliment my TJ. The 4 door, JKU, would be nice to have.

I agree. I've got the 3.8 with a 6 speed, 4.1 gears, and 33 inch tires. I could go out right now and buy a new one, but this engine has been just fine. With a 4-1 crawl ratio, there's no issue off road, either. I also tow a small boat or camper with no trouble. In fact, I towed the camper and hauled my wife and 6 kids through the mountains of Colorado (Yes, I added a Littleseats 3rd row seat) with no pain.

The 3.8 is no powerhouse, and it doesn't do any particular thing exceptionally well. It has been, however, reliable, smooth and quiet. That said, the 3.6 is a real sweetheart, but it actually doesn't have much, if any, more torque off idle than the 3.8. You've got to get some revs on it to get to the power band.

I did drive a TJ Unlimited with an auto and 4.0, and honestly, it didn't feel like it had any more grunt than my 3.8. I was pretty surprised at that.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I got a squeak coming from one of my Johnny Joint control arms. It's driving me nuts!

My jeep has such a quiet ride, minus the road noise from tires, and everytime I hit a bump it squeaks from that one side.
    I'll just have to tear it apart and re-grease it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Road Jeeps should have rubber bushings on both ends of the control arms.
    Less vibe and noise.
    The tougher spherical bushing stuff, is great offroad, but on a DD gets annoying as the miles rack up.
    Ran 'em on two rigs, current one has soft on either end.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Crawled under the jeep last night, started tightening bolts, shaking everything I could to find that damn squeak. Then I found it. One of the lower shock bolts came loose. I dunno how it came loose, but they are rusted. Tightened it more, sprayed it with WD40, squeak is gone now.

I'm going to replace the bolts this weekend.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    What does the jeeper crowd think about the new unlimiteds or the 4 doors?

The only new wrangler I would buy is the 10th anniversary rubicon in 4 door with a 6 speed that was produced last year. Otherwise, a JK is not an option for this guy. My buddies and I have run JKs and have nothing but problems, even built right! I went back to TJ rubicons and currently an 06 unlimited….no need for another! Ok, maybe a scrambler :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've developed a "clunk" as well (in the TJ). The fairly useless rear anti-sway bar's bushings are all but gone. Options are:
    1) Continue to be lazy, and let it clunk
    2) Just install new bushings (they are not expensive)
    3) Remove the rear anti-sway bar. Not like it is really doing much (other than clunking)

My poor TJ is starting to need some love. The cheapy steps are rusting. The top needs replaced. Crack in the windshield. Just Empty Every Pocket - indeed.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've developed a "clunk" as well (in the TJ). The fairly useless rear anti-sway bar's bushings are all but gone. Options are:
    1) Continue to be lazy, and let it clunk
    2) Just install new bushings (they are not expensive)
    3) Remove the rear anti-sway bar. Not like it is really doing much (other than clunking)

My poor TJ is starting to need some love. The cheapy steps are rusting. The top needs replaced. Crack in the windshield. Just Empty Every Pocket - indeed.

Front and rear Currie Antirock. That's what you need.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Front and rear Currie Antirock. That's what you need.
    :lmfao:

If this was an actual wheeler, then sure. If I'm going to drop cash on actual "offroad accessories", it will be for the CJ-7.

Currie = $370 (for just the rear)
    Stock = $60 (replacement links from NAPA)
    Remove = Free

The darned thing actually does pretty well offroad the way it sits. The last time out, the only thing that stopped me was clearance to climb a 3' ledge, and traction trying to climb a loose/slippery/muddy/rocky hill (only 1 vehicle out of 12 made it up without winching, so I don't feel bad at all).

Top Bottom