• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I dont wear an arm guard at all most of the time I shoot six different bows without one but My dads bow beats me up pretty bad. Wouldn't be so if my arms weren't so boney. end up with a swollen and bruised wrist after 1/2 doz. shots

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Finally got out to start getting my sight dialed in for deer season.
    Since last season, I've completely changed equipment:
    '13 Mathews chill w/ 75lb limbs and 85% cam mods (rock mods)
    Montana black gold single pin sight on a 6" dovetail
    Ktech 12" front stab
    Mathews fall away rest

The following is the first shot I've taken at 40 yards with the bow, just guessing elevation based on a 20 yard zero...
    IMAGE_194.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Can anybody tell me whats so special about fast flight strings? Do they really bump up speed enough to make a difference?

And can they be used on a pse kingfisher?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Fast flite stretches less, does increase speed.............but is only for limbs of reinforced tip/overlay.
    I can't run one on my '83 Blackwidow.
    Did on my other BW's made after '87 and on my Hoyt, couple of Samicks.
    I like the material, all mine were Flemish twist and when wet or new, they did stretch some.
    PSE doesn't say on their site if the KF is FF rated or not (terrible site).

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Maybe I'll call pse and ask I have heard they have rude customer service people so i may not IDK. While shooting today the factory string exploded damn near :poop: myself. I took the string off of my dads darton recurve and put it on my KF. The brace height is 7.5" from the back of the shelf or 8.5 from the deepest part of the grip. Super quiet now. Put some puff balls on there and it will be pretty close to silent.

I may decide to hunt deer with it but IDK i was always told to go 10# higher when using fiberglass limbs and this is a 40# bow

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well any thoughts of hunting are now gone. I went from stacking my arrows on top of each other from 30yd to being lucky if i hit my back stop (couch cushions) from 10. Dad cant hit anything either so im pretty sure it not me like i originally thought. I think the flemish string is throwing them faster and giving me erratic arrow flights. I can see the arrows doing all kinds of weird stuff in flight and standing downrange and to the side of the shooter you can see it is going a lot faster and is going crazy in flight. Guess im gonna buy an endless loop b50 string from 3R and see what that does.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    The recurve shots were at 20 yards. One of the better groups, but I consistently put 3 arrow groups in the larger circle that the center of the target makes. I've been shooting the recurve for several months now. Magnus 125 gr 2 blade Buzzcuts are flying great, pretty much the same type of groupings. I do find that the longer I shoot it in one session, that my form starts to break down ... I think I begin over thinking things honestly ... and then groups will open up.

The long bow I just got last week. I had never shot a long bow before buying this one. Those 4 arrows in that photo were the honest to goodness first four shots that I ever took with a long bow. That was simply at 10 yards. Over the weekend I had a chance to shoot clear out to 20 yards and for the most part, 90% or so of my arrows have stayed in that larger inner circle on the target. At 10 yards I can consistently pretty much hit any 3" target point. It is a much more form forgiving bow than the recurve is. I still have a lot of work to do, but my intent is to take this bow to the woods some this fall. I haven't shot broadheads out of it yet, but will in due time.

I shoot most nights and after shooting compounds for years, I am really enjoying the simplicity of the traditional gear. I still love my compounds as well though (I own way too many of them), but shooting a compound has just gotten so robotic that it was time for a challenge.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Was thinking...............it'd be cool if Easton (or somebody else) came out with an "autumn orange" carbon.
    Limited run would be fine.......... I miss seeing a quiver full of those.
    Sure did look good with the old Hoyt orange leaf camo way back.

Thought the Halloween look, of my all black recurve and a quiver o' pumpkin would be neat.

Try to start shooting next week, let fingers have a couple of weeks off.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im looking for some arrows with orange on them. Im putting blaze orange puff balls on my string and am going to braid a orange and camo wrist sling too. Think its gonna look pretty cool.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I had some dude on a certain auction site make me a 3 bundle string of orange, brown and black, flemish B50.
    It looked VERY good on my Damon Howatt 2800.
    Hated the grip, and being 62" so sold it..................new owner hates flemish strings but said that one looked so good he was gonna leave it :)
    Think I paid $16 for it shipped. Nice string.

I just shoot Blackwidows, so order their strings (smaller loop). Replace every yr, keep one used for a spare.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Got the blaze orange string puffs put in and the kingfisher is super quiet. Bought some blaze orange and woodland camo 550 cord at wally world and am going to braid a wrist sling whenever i get some free time. Looking for a decent flemish string with some orange in it to top it off. the last string i got off an auction site (the string on it now) the serving is is unraveling like crazy and i am not very good at reserving.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got the blaze orange string puffs put in and the kingfisher is super quiet. Bought some blaze orange and woodland camo 550 cord at wally world and am going to braid a wrist sling whenever i get some free time. Looking for a decent flemish string with some orange in it to top it off. the last string i got off an auction site (the string on it now) the serving is is unraveling like crazy and i am not very good at reserving.

I always serve in my peeps, but forget how to make them look good with the pull through overwrap deal. Takes me 2 or 3 tries to remember and then it's all good.
    Have done a mid string area before, took longer but no big deal. Had one served by local shop way back, cheap and good job.

I don't hit my armguard (don't even wear one short sleeved). Think that hammers more servings than other stuff. Release I shot Fletchunter, even before string loops.............no real serving wear.

NEVER use monofilament

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Here is a takedown i made back 20 years ago. This was my first attempt at making a bow and it turned out pretty good. I shoot it every so often but haven't hunted with it for years. The only shot i took at a deer with it was right after i made it but all i got was some hair off his back. It was my first shot out of a tree stand with a recurve at a deer and i was a nervous wreck. Any way after that one I made a longbow and a half dozen self bows. Still like shooting them but only use a compound and crossbow nowdays.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom