• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    if the Taliban wants to make almost any runway unusable there is not much if anything we can do to stop it.
    And that would be so stupid, it might just work for them! Do you think a bunch of nomadic goat buggerers that just got billions of dollars in aircraft (that will require some kind of runway) will think of that?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Does anyone doubt that the Afghanistan op is going as planned?
    Or perhaps I should say, as planned with the taliban.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Write your Congress critters regarding the arming of the Taliban with American taxpayer purchased arms.

I had to take a couple of days break before I wrote my Congress critters. I wanted to make sure that some of my more heated thoughts would be tempered.

I carefully wove the thread from their oath of office, through article III section 3 of the Constitution, and links to a number of pictures showing the Taliban armed with US produced and purchased arms and equipment.

Pro tip, senator Braun's web comment form will not accept URLs to link the pictures. The web contact forms of my other two federal representatives however; accepted the URLs.

Our representatives need to understand that what has occurred is unacceptable. Business as usual is unacceptable. Playing the Democrat versus Republican game is unacceptable.

The only acceptable course of action is strict constitutional activity. Starting with protecting this nation from the Communists who now hold the executive branch and the legislative branch.

Press your representatives, make them aware you are not distracted by the current Covid mantra. Let them know you are focused on the retention and restoration of the America defined by the declaration of Independence, the Constitution of the United States of America; and the contemporaneous works.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Anyone know why all the liberals are made at CNN for their coverage of Biden on Afghanistan? I cut the cord so I’m left in the dark on this one.
    Think you answered your own question. They are supposed to be talking about Infrastructure, Eviction Moratoriums, and Universal Baby Income.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They've had decades of CIA training, paid for with our taxes.

I'm sure they're a bit more familiar with it than you might think.

They aren't. You imagine they want to fight like us and have a culture that values learning new things. Neither is true. You imagine they want to excel and will put in effort to learn. Also not true. That's one reason we had so little success creating an Afghan army. We insisted they do things our way because naive realism made us think they just had to be exposed to it to adopt it, that they would then see the world and warfare like we do.

Even with my limited exposure to attempting to train with indigenous forces, I can assure you that you can teach them and train them with zero result. It's hard to come up with an analogy that really fits, but the cultural limitations are too difficult to overcome.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    BBI,
    Is on point good buddy of mine was a MSG E-8 mechanic. He set up a basic training maintenance program for the ANA. Had manuals printed in 4 languages guess what most of them could not read or write.

So when you do maintenance if you need something you go to the parts guy with the NSN.
    Parts dude gives you the part.

The ANA guy’s couldn’t figure that out.

In Iraq the literacy rate is 93%
    Afghanistan 38%

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    BBI,
    Is on point good buddy of mine was a MSG E-8 mechanic. He set up a basic training maintenance program for the ANA. Had manuals printed in 4 languages guess what most of them could not read or write.

So when you do maintenance if you need something you go to the parts guy with the NSN.
    Parts dude gives you the part.

The ANA guy’s couldn’t figure that out.

In Iraq the literacy rate is 93%
    Afghanistan 38%
    DANG! Does not surprise me a bit, but DANG! NSN is 13 numbers (I was a "parts dude", or War Readiness Spares Kit Tech/Materiel Controller/Maintenance Spares Readiness Package Tech as the USAF called them), if you don't know numbers you can't order a part.

I'm guessing the manuals were along the lines of Technical Orders (TOs) with illustrated parts breakdowns, next higher assemblies, it's been a long time but there were pictures, IIRC.

The knuckle-dragging Crew Chiefs I worked with back in the day now look like ****ing Einstein. Most of them anyway...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    They aren't. You imagine they want to fight like us and have a culture that values learning new things. Neither is true. You imagine they want to excel and will put in effort to learn. Also not true. That's one reason we had so little success creating an Afghan army. We insisted they do things our way because naive realism made us think they just had to be exposed to it to adopt it, that they would then see the world and warfare like we do.

Even with my limited exposure to attempting to train with indigenous forces, I can assure you that you can teach them and train them with zero result. It's hard to come up with an analogy that really fits, but the cultural limitations are too difficult to overcome.
    I would think all that stuff would be re-stolen by someone that does have gumption similar to ours.
    China.
    Russia.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Kelly,
    Yeah I give you a NSN no matter the branch you pull it off a shelf or order it.
    In Iraq they get it no problem normal business. In the Stan its a mystery.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

I have a slightly similar story. When I was in the Marine Corps I had a Staff Sergent telling us about the time he was assigned to a Middle Eastern country. He was part of the forces that was training their pilots. Every time they went over things in class (his example was how to land), all they would say is, "Yes, yes. I understand. No problem. I can do it." Then they would crash. He put it down to some sort of bull headed machismo that wouldn't allow them to look stupid or inferior.

Understand that he was part of a unit trying to teach FLYING, something most people in the world cannot do. Yet for all our efforts the vast majority of the folks he was assigned to try to train just wouldn't want to listen.

Of course, the FLIP SIDE also seems to be true! WE don't seem to want to learn from them, learn how they fight, what motivates them to fight, and then give them the tools to fight both of our enemies THEIR way - not ours. Bullheadedness seems rampant on both sides...?

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom