Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Kelly,
    Yeah I give you a NSN no matter the branch you pull it off a shelf or order it.
    In Iraq they get it no problem normal business. In the Stan its a mystery.
    I left the Supply Management career field in 1999 and I could still get you your part. It ain't rokkitt signs, but if you don't know 6 from blue? You ain't gettin a part.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    And that would be so stupid, it might just work for them! Do you think a bunch of nomadic goat buggerers that just got billions of dollars in aircraft (that will require some kind of runway) will think of that?

I picture much of the Taliban like Kruge, seen here:

They don't give a tinkers damn how much it screws them up, so long as it screws up their enemy WORSE.

Regards,

Doug

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Every time they went over things in class (his example was how to land), all they would say is, "Yes, yes. I understand. No problem. I can do it." Then they would crash. He put it down to some sort of bull headed machismo that wouldn't allow them to look stupid or inferior.

I've run into this before in a different context with different people... It took me a long time to figure it out, and I'm not saying it's the same, but it was a cultural thing were the "yes, yes" and everything that came after it meant that they heard you speak the words. It didn't mean they understood the words. To them, it was as if I asked them "Can you hear me?"

There was also no solution to this problem, because if you saw me do it 100 times and heard me say it 100 times then you're just too dumb to do it if you still can't. I just found it to be an interesting difference in culture.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Teaching a monkey a math problem?

No, that oversimplifies it and makes it seem like its just an issue with ability. Ability is part of it, but there's also just a strong cultural aversion.

Imagine aliens land and demand you learn to cook and to do in their way. They provide equipment you've never seen, don't understand, can't maintain, and can't source from anyone else. They provide ingredients you hate the sight, taste, and smell of and, again, can't source from anyone else. They have techniques that require you to have tentacles and infrared vision to properly do. Your friends think only sissies learn to cook. Your vaguely convinced it's sinful behavior to learn to cook. You are always aware that the aliens will eventually leave, that your access to the required equipment and ingredients may be fleeting.

That's sort of the issue. It's not just you don't have the base skills to build on, although that's also true.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BBI,
    Is on point good buddy of mine was a MSG E-8 mechanic. He set up a basic training maintenance program for the ANA. Had manuals printed in 4 languages guess what most of them could not read or write.

So when you do maintenance if you need something you go to the parts guy with the NSN.
    Parts dude gives you the part.

The ANA guy’s couldn’t figure that out.

In Iraq the literacy rate is 93%
    Afghanistan 38%

You know how nations have stereotypes with other nations? Like Americans stereotype Brits as having bad teeth and Canadians as being overly polite? In the Arab world the Iraqis have the stereotype of being bookish. Sounds like not without reason...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    vJY73mw.jpg
    I bet a large portion of that will make it to the black market outside of the country.
    We're going to see A LOT of cheap M4 rifles all over Europe on the secondary market in the next few weeks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Taliban got a Blackhawk in the air. And some people think the CIA isn’t or didn’t train them...... smh

Propaganda value aside, meh. Contractors likely trained them and not as Taliban but as Afghani military who then defected. Being "Taliban" is much more fluid then you seem to think. Guys who weren't Taliban yesterday likely are today and when local warlords decide it's better to not be Taliban then the reverse will happen.

The company I used to work for did a lot of pilot training for various US proxies and indigenous forces (not me personally, I was on the dumb end of being a guard). There will always be exceptions, but as a whole I would not be really worried about a Taliban air force. Getting one off the ground vs flying it effectively, maintaining it, etc. are different things.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Anybody wondering how much this has to do with not just the Eurasian land bridge but also with Taiwan?

Top Bottom