• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This is sounding more and more like a security problem.

Police supposedly on campus. They believe the suspect pulled the alarm to draw people out. So what, he just waltzed in casually and pulled the alarm, and ran back outside and picked up his gun? Does the school not lock the doors and have to buzz people in?

Something isn't right here and it's sounding like more than the shooter are at fault. Speculation of course, could just be horrible reporting

The kid knew the school. There is no conspiracy here. The shooting started inside the school and the shooter pulled the alarm and continued to shoot into the crowd and moved outside with the evacuating students. Early reports had the shooter outside with an accomplice setting the trap by pulling the alarm, this was not the case.

It absolutely was a security issue tho. The kid was known to the school and in his last year prior to expulsion he was not allowed to carry a backpack. Other students regularly talked about the shooter becoming a school shooter. This kid was a known security threat.

I think there is room here for legislation that allows a school to identify a potentially violent student and get some sort of a restraining order against the expelled student. The student (if over 18) could not obtain a firearm because of the restraining order, and would be required to surrender any owned until cleared of the order. This could extend to the household where the student is living. I can promise you that if my soon to be born child becomes violent or has tendency towards violence there will be zero chances for my child to come into contact with a firearm in my home. Responsibility is a large part of gun ownership. I may get flamed for this.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

In my little corner of the US, it seems that the children I know have a much different life than their grandparents did. There's the obvious increase in divorce and single-family homes, and so few kids today have stay-at-home parents, since both parents mostly work full time. Not so many families have the three sit-down meals every day like they used to do. Also, in my area there used to be "Township Schools" with a few dozen students. Now there are big consolidated schools with hundreds, maybe thousands of students. In my area there used to be many small family farms, and now there are far fewer but much larger farms. All of us boys made our summer spending money baling straw and hay or working pigs and cows. Now very few farms have livestock and those are confined feeding farms that don't require as much labor.

The vacant lot in the neighborhood I grew up in always had a pick-up football or baseball game going on afternoons and weekends, and I can't remember the last time I saw kids playing there. When I was younger, there were always kids playing something outside, and now when I go to my old neighborhood, I rarely see kids outside.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it's been many years since my kids were little, but it just seems like kids today live in a vastly different world than kids did two generations ago.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think it's one of those "good old days" arguments that completely ignores the bad stuff that happened during the generation being fawned over.

"Ain't no Jesus in the home no more," or something like that.

No. I think the question is more like, do parents in France let their kids grow up to be *******s in France like they do in the US.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In my little corner of the US, it seems that the children I know have a much different life than their grandparents did. There's the obvious increase in divorce and single-family homes, and so few kids today have stay-at-home parents, since both parents mostly work full time. Not so many families have the three sit-down meals every day like they used to do. Also, in my area there used to be "Township Schools" with a few dozen students. Now there are big consolidated schools with hundreds, maybe thousands of students. In my area there used to be many small family farms, and now there are far fewer but much larger farms. All of us boys made our summer spending money baling straw and hay or working pigs and cows. Now very few farms have livestock and those are confined feeding farms that don't require as much labor.

The vacant lot in the neighborhood I grew up in always had a pick-up football or baseball game going on afternoons and weekends, and I can't remember the last time I saw kids playing there. When I was younger, there were always kids playing something outside, and now when I go to my old neighborhood, I rarely see kids outside.

Plently of kids who don't have regular meals with their parents or play outside don't end up shooting other kids in school.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Plently of kids who don't have regular meals with their parents or play outside don't end up shooting other kids in school.

I realize that. What I was asking (not very well, I know) is whether you would think that children in France live in similarly different environments from their parents and grandparents? I've never been to France, and I'm not sure how much time you've spent in the States, so maybe we both are at a disadvantage to compare, but I was curious.

No. I think the question is more like, do parents in France let their kids grow up to be *******s in France like they do in the US.

Yes, thanks. I was making the leap in assuming that parents in France DON'T do that, and I was curious about what things might be different.

Edit: The number and frequency of incidents today does imply that there is/are factors at play that cause or influence kids to take guns to school and shoot other kids. And, the fact that these kinds of incidents didn't happen with a comparable number or frequency in the America of generations past would suggest that whatever factors are at play today may not have been at play back then. Maybe not Jesus, maybe not quality time with the fam around the dinner table, but something.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

I apologize. I forgot that that our nation, comprised of over 325,000,000 people of all races, creeds, ethnicities, religions and backgrounds, all raise their kids to be school shooters.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    The kid knew the school. There is no conspiracy here. The shooting started inside the school and the shooter pulled the alarm and continued to shoot into the crowd and moved outside with the evacuating students. Early reports had the shooter outside with an accomplice setting the trap by pulling the alarm, this was not the case.

It absolutely was a security issue tho. The kid was known to the school and in his last year prior to expulsion he was not allowed to carry a backpack. Other students regularly talked about the shooter becoming a school shooter. This kid was a known security threat.

I think there is room here for legislation that allows a school to identify a potentially violent student and get some sort of a restraining order against the expelled student. The student (if over 18) could not obtain a firearm because of the restraining order, and would be required to surrender any owned until cleared of the order. This could extend to the household where the student is living. I can promise you that if my soon to be born child becomes violent or has tendency towards violence there will be zero chances for my child to come into contact with a firearm in my home. Responsibility is a large part of gun ownership. I may get flamed for this.

That is one aspect that needs to be focused on during situations like this. I don't think there needs be laws, per se like in some states, that guns must be secured, but it needs to be common sense for gun owners to keep guns out of the hands of irresponsible parties. No reason for you to get flamed!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I realize that. What I was asking (not very well, I know) is whether you would think that children in France live in similarly different environments from their parents and grandparents? I've never been to France, and I'm not sure how much time you've spent in the States, so maybe we both are at a disadvantage to compare, but I was curious.

I think society in France and in the US evolved pretty much the same way.
    Kids in France and in the US play the same video games and watch the same movies too.
    Kids probably don't go out as often as their grandparents used to do in both countries.
    Same with single-parent families.It's pretty common here too and I don't see how it could be an issue.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think society in France and in the US evolved pretty much the same way.
    Kids in France and in the US play the same video games and watch the same movies too.
    Kids probably don't go out as often as their grandparents used to do in both countries.
    Same with single-parent families.It's pretty common here too and I don't see how it could be an issue.

Thanks. Most of my education in European culture is from "Rick Steve's Europe" and "Masterpiece Theater" on PBS. :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I got a bite.

Actaeon

Making drugs illegal didn't get rid of them.
    Why do they think making guns illegal will be ANY different?

16 minsLikeMore

William Carl Davis II

BeCuZ tHe Uk AnD oZ dOnT hAvE mAsS sHoOtInGs AnD gUnZ r ThE oNlY dIfFeReNcE!!!!1

3 minsLikeMore

Actaeon

They have stabbings and beatings. Violent crime, per capita, is actually higher.

Just nowLikeReplyMore

Actaeon

You are also ignoring all other factors that are different between societies.
    Japan has very few guns. But very high suicides. Because there are factors other than guns.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I got a bite.

Actaeon

Making drugs illegal didn't get rid of them.
    Why do they think making guns illegal will be ANY different?

16 minsLikeMore

William Carl Davis II

BeCuZ tHe Uk AnD oZ dOnT hAvE mAsS sHoOtInGs AnD gUnZ r ThE oNlY dIfFeReNcE!!!!1

3 minsLikeMore

Actaeon

They have stabbings and beatings. Violent crime, per capita, is actually higher.

Just nowLikeReplyMore

Actaeon

You are also ignoring all other factors that are different between societies.
    Japan has very few guns. But very high suicides. Because there are factors other than guns.
    Please tell me that's not how Mr. Davis typed his response.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

More laws. seriously. Just go back to identifying the mentally ill. Not the challenged but this kid was known and the staff did not feel the need or was not allowed to act. No more legislation. They always tack on a lot of crap as the bill goes through the process.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Legislation was the wrong wording. There should be a path for schools to identify dangerous teens. A restraining order should keep legal forearms out of their hands.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Legislation was the wrong wording. There should be a path for schools to identify dangerous teens. A restraining order should keep legal forearms out of their hands.

Gotcha. But if they really really want one or another means to do harm on a large scale it is easy enough to do.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Nothing will be done.

After a school shooting: Mental health needs to be addressed.

a few days later: They'll just use it to declare everyone mentally ill and disarm us without due process.

Nothing will change with the mentally ill and how we deal with them.
    Nothing will be done about the media giving free fame to these a-holes.
    Everyone will continue to believe, deep down inside, that it will always happen somewhere else and it'll be someone else's problem.

You seem to understand this game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom