• Status
    Not open for further replies.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Close to time to go home. He may have been posted up for that event. Everyone leaving but the alarm was an opportunity. Maybe some idiot student dropped the alarm as a haha. All speculation.

Very plausible. While the suspect was originally waiting for classes to dismiss for the exiting students another student (totally unrelated) pulls an alarm as a prank. The suspect may have panicked thinking his plan had been discovered. And he may have felt that he was too far into it to back out.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You have a way of boiling things down. Do you think enough retired LEOs and ex-military would be interested in providing security to make it a viable option for schools? What are the other obstacles to doing this?

No... not unless their kids are going that school. SROs deal with way too much crap and have way too much liability.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My daughter used to work at a huge, multi-campus charter school in Houston. Most of the kids there were fresh out of Houston inner-city public schools. One of her jobs was dealing with discipline matters, and we had many conversations over the phone about how sad so many of those kid's situations were. One story, I remember, involved three boys. Boy #1 had sneaked his air-soft pistol to school, hidden in his backpack so that he could take it to another boy's house after school. Boy #2 was looking at the gun during lunch, and took it out of the backpack, and before boy #1 could take it away and put it back in the pack, Boy #3 grabbed the gun and ran toward some other kids waving the pistol and shouting "I'm gonna Kill you!". A teacher saw him just as he was putting the gun up to another boy's head.

So all the boys end up in my daughter's office, and before the end of the day, Boy #1 and Boy #2 were indefinitely suspended, but not Boy #3. He, unlike the other two, had been in trouble many times before (go figure). Apparently, after a kid has been suspended for a certain number of days, the school has a policy where the kid is assigned an advocate, usually a teacher, who has the responsibility to "counsel" the kid a given number of hours, over time, until the matter is resolved. Well, for Boy #3, apparently his advocate had left the school before his last "counseling" period was complete, and another one wasn't assigned, so it would be against school policy to suspend him. The policy had been developed to combat the high number of student/days of suspension.

She said Boy #1 and Boy #2, were remorseful and their parents were devastated over them being suspended, but Boy #3 thought the whole thing was hilarious, and his parents never showed up to pick him up.

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    To be expected.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Democrats Demand Gun Control Measures | The Daily Caller[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Democrats immediately politicized the Florida school shooting that left at least 17 people dead on Wednesday and demanded gun control legislation, even before it was known how the shooter got his gun and whether any proposed legislation would have stopped it.[/FONT][/FONT]

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I knew the gun laws were much stricter in France. Due to the way that anti-gunners tend to look toward Europe, in general, when talking about gun control, I wondered if there were any mass school attacks or not. That's usually their rationale - They don't have guns, and they don't have school shootings. So, if we outlaw guns, we won't have school shootings.

I'm sure it probably has more to do with the health care than the gun situation. It is so much better than ours. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, there also isn't a stigma attached to seeking mental health care, is there? In the States, it seems like if someone even mentions talking to a counselor or therapist, there's immediately a negative stereotype associated with that person. He's "psycho" or "crazy." I've had friends who either wouldn't seek help because of this or, at the very least, wouldn't say they visited one for some time.

All of our schools have a nurse and a therapist that students can see freely (meaning both without paying and whenever they want).
    It's not just about mental health.They can also get to talk to someone if they have troubles at home, relationships issues with their parents or whatnot.
    Often those issues at home can trigger violence if they are not addressed.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Per that article, 12 of the 17 were killed inside. At first, it sounded like everyone came streaming out and he picked them off outside.

It said the shooting began outside and then moved inside. It also said that police were present on campus but the school was "at the mercy of the gunman for more than an hour". I'm thinking that is just a jumbled up article someone couldn't wait to hit send on.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    To be expected.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Democrats Demand Gun Control Measures | The Daily Caller[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Democrats immediately politicized the Florida school shooting that left at least 17 people dead on Wednesday and demanded gun control legislation, even before it was known how the shooter got his gun and whether any proposed legislation would have stopped it.[/FONT][/FONT]

They will propose the same ideas that have been proven ineffective, and they will respond, "We HAVE to do SOMETHING "

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    All of our schools have a nurse and a therapist that students can see freely (meaning both without paying and whenever they want).
    It's not just about mental health.They can also get to talk to someone if they have troubles at home, relationships issues with their parents or whatnot.

I wonder if a French child, today, lives in a home environment that is as different from that which his or her grandparents lived in as so many children in the US do?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You have a way of boiling things down. Do you think enough retired LEOs and ex-military would be interested in providing security to make it a viable option for schools? What are the other obstacles to doing this?

Look at the crying about a single armored car for Bloomington @ $225k.

There are 22 public schools in Bloomington, if I counted right on their webpage.

I have no idea how big any of those schools are, but let's pretend each could be adequately protected by 1 armed guard and some armed teachers.

Salaries
    Equipment
    Initial Training (both cost of training and man hours)
    Ongoing Training
    Liability funding

How much do you think that would cost for, say, two years of service? A lot more than an armored car.

How much crying about "militarizing" police, and you want to "militarize" schools? The shooters are using rifles pretty often. What equipment do you want to give the guards/teachers?

What happens when an ND hurts or kills a student? You put enough guns in enough hands, and somewhere at sometime it's going to happen.

Nobody is going to pay for this. Nobody is going to like the optics of it. Especially when it always happens somewhere else.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie

The schools I attended has a nurse and counselors, but I'm not sure how much training they actually had.

That violence, I feel, is the problem in the States. Whether it's violence toward the child from the parent(s) or toward other children by a student who feels unloved or misunderstood, it never ends up well.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I wonder if a French child, today, lives in a home environment that is as different from that which his or her grandparents lived in as so many children in the US do?

Do you mean the fairly recent prevalence of single parent households and those in which both parents work?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

I think it's one of those "good old days" arguments that completely ignores the bad stuff that happened during the generation being fawned over.

"Ain't no Jesus in the home no more," or something like that.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Do you mean the fairly recent prevalence of single parent households and those in which both parents work?

Those are pointed out often, but they're only a couple of the things that make this world today so much different. It would be really interesting to see a multi-varied analysis of factors in the environments of children in places where violence occurs compared with places where it doesn't (as much).

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    This is sounding more and more like a security problem.

Police supposedly on campus. They believe the suspect pulled the alarm to draw people out. So what, he just waltzed in casually and pulled the alarm, and ran back outside and picked up his gun? Does the school not lock the doors and have to buzz people in?

Something isn't right here and it's sounding like more than the shooter are at fault. Speculation of course, could just be horrible reporting

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is sounding more and more like a security problem.

Police supposedly on campus. They believe the suspect pulled the alarm to draw people out. So what, he just waltzed in casually and pulled the alarm, and ran back outside and picked up his gun? Does the school not lock the doors and have to buzz people in?

Something isn't right here and it's sounding like more than the shooter are at fault. Speculation of course, could just be horrible reporting

One of the witnesses said that one of the officer was shot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom