• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    In my little corner of the US, it seems that the children I know have a much different life than their grandparents did. There's the obvious increase in divorce and single-family homes, and so few kids today have stay-at-home parents, since both parents mostly work full time. Not so many families have the three sit-down meals every day like they used to do. Also, in my area there used to be "Township Schools" with a few dozen students. Now there are big consolidated schools with hundreds, maybe thousands of students. In my area there used to be many small family farms, and now there are far fewer but much larger farms. All of us boys made our summer spending money baling straw and hay or working pigs and cows. Now very few farms have livestock and those are confined feeding farms that don't require as much labor.

The vacant lot in the neighborhood I grew up in always had a pick-up football or baseball game going on afternoons and weekends, and I can't remember the last time I saw kids playing there. When I was younger, there were always kids playing something outside, and now when I go to my old neighborhood, I rarely see kids outside.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it's been many years since my kids were little, but it just seems like kids today live in a vastly different world than kids did two generations ago.

I wish I could give a million rep points for this.

When will we start treating the disease that creates these killers instead of putting band-aids over problems? I believe the root causes are a societal problem, with too many contributing factors to even try and list.

The media and the way it feeds into a would-be killer's desire for noteriety is a huge factor. But one thing I rarely hear mentioned is the decline, and now outright attack on masculinity.

Many boys are not deliberately taught to be protectors, providers and procreators. Very few in our culture even go through any type ofvtrue rite of passage, and our communities do not value them any more.

There are fewer and fewer arenas outside of structured sports that give young men the chance to compete and test their meddle against others.

These killers are often young men lashing out looking for a way of "proving themselves" in some sick and twisted way. They've grown up in a world of instant gratification, they can shoot up a school and go from a nobody to a household name in a matter of hours. Very little real effort required.

Until we address these root causes and teach men to be productive and honorable, we will continue to breed these killers.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

When will we start treating the disease that creates these killers instead of putting band-aids over problems? I believe the root causes are a societal problem, with too many contributing factors to even try and list.

The media and the way it feeds into a would-be killer's desire for noteriety is a huge factor.
    But one thing I rarely hear mentioned is the decline, and now outright attack on masculinity.

Many boys are not deliberately taught to be protectors, providers and procreators. Very few in our culture even go through any type ofvtrue rite of passage, and our communities do not value them any more.

There are fewer and fewer arenas outside of structured sports that give young men the chance to compete and test their meddle against others.

These killers are often young men lashing out looking for a way of "proving themselves" in some sick and twisted way. They've grown up in a world of instant gratification, they can shoot up a school and go from a nobody to a household name in a matter of hours. Very little real effort required.

Until we address these root causes and teach men to be productive and honorable, we will continue to breed these killers.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...top-publishing-photos-and-names-of-terrorists

[FONT=&quot]In the aftermath of the Nice attack, a psychoanalyst, Fethi Benslama, who teaches at Paris Diderot university, [/FONT]suggested on French radio[FONT=&quot]: “Perhaps it is time that there was a pact in the media to no longer publish the names and pictures of the perpetrators of these acts, as it’s a really big boost to their efforts to make themselves world famous, even while their victims are anonymous and will remain anonymous.”[/FONT]

That's about terrorism but mass shooting is pretty much the same problem.

They could show the victims or share the names of the first responders who risk their lives running to the scene of a shooting.

I don't care about the scumbag's name.

That's maybe a bit naive but if you show cops and medics in the news maybe young kids will want to become first responders instead of becoming the next name-less, face-less, scumbag killer.

9449660-3x2-700x467.jpg

parkland-florida-school-shooting-10-ap-jc-180214_4x3_992.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...top-publishing-photos-and-names-of-terrorists

That's about terrorism but mass shooting is pretty much the same problem.

They could show the victims or share the names of the first responders who risk their lives running to the scene of a shooting.

I don't care about the scumbag's name.

That's maybe a bit naive but if you show cops and medics in the news maybe young kids will want to become first responders instead of becoming the next name-less, face-less, scumbag killer.

Excellent idea. Here is one example from today.

Reports say Stoneman Douglas assistant football coach stepped in front of bullets | Miami Herald

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Any time I read online comments on a news article, I regret it. Why do people who know absolutely nothing about the topic wade in with some judge-y preachy BS? Yeah, you're Danish, you've never been to the US, but you know what the problem is and you're so morally superior to us because gun laws. I don't care enough to make an account to tell you to eat a big bowl of...Richards, but I'm thinking it real loud.

Not like they'd hear me over the sound of their own self-righteousness anyway.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Any time I read online comments on a news article, I regret it. Why do people who know absolutely nothing about the topic wade in with some judge-y preachy BS? Yeah, you're Danish, you've never been to the US, but you know what the problem is and you're so morally superior to us because gun laws. I don't care enough to make an account to tell you to eat a big bowl of...Richards, but I'm thinking it real loud.

Not like they'd hear me over the sound of their own self-righteousness anyway.

It's like listening to a virgin talk about sex, cause he watched Cinemax.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

The media and the way it feeds into a would-be killer's desire for noteriety is a huge factor. But one thing I rarely hear mentioned is the decline, and now outright attack on masculinity.

More of causes I think they should be looking at.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I remember 2 schools of thought on individuals vs. civilization.

People start off as savages, and must be civilized. Civilization runs on people working together.

People start off as innocent angels, and civilization itself corrupts the individual.

In the first one, people are supposed to discipline their children, and teach them how to be part of a community.
    In the second one, people should let their angels do whatever they feel like doing, and screw civilization, it's overrated.

Guess which way child raising has been steered.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    theres videos on fb of bodies on the ground and you can hear the gunshots, pretty horrible stuff.

Something to point out and i am by no means saying this is what happened but just that it can. Just because you are a cop doesn't mean you are a robocop warfighter guy. Things change real quick in emergencies and every guy has his line he can't cross. This is true for all public services. A few years back i (stupidly) went into a burning building along with another guy. There were three of us together that night but one of us found the line he couldn't cross and stayed outside. It happens. is he any less of a man? nope he knew how far he could go and that's ok. so just because you put cops or guards in a school doesn't mean they are all going to run towards the shooter and end it, and you wont know until it happens. heck my first active shooter training i was rocking it in my gucci gear clearing rooms and being a general cool guy that is until i had a gun in my face and i stopped dead in my tracks and cover and concealment went out the window and that was with sim rounds in a controlled environment. (I have since gotten better as I train more).

a quote comes to mind when i bring this up
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

Heraclitus

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I see to it my 11 year old G-daughter is delivered safely to school. Her dad works and her little sisters keeps mom at home. I enjoy my mornings with her anyway. No way she is riding a school bus with any of the half butt drivers I see rolling the streets.

And that's fine. But with a lot of parents feeling the same way you do, they could probably do a lot of route consolidation. In the grade school I'm talking about, I'm guessing they could get by with 2 buses based on the number of kids that are riding them.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    So very sad, my thoughts and prayers to the families, the school, and the community, as this will be remembered as a real St. Valentines Day Massacre.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And that's fine. But with a lot of parents feeling the same way you do, they could probably do a lot of route consolidation. In the grade school I'm talking about, I'm guessing they could get by with 2 buses based on the number of kids that are riding them.

But some jobs would be lost and budgets adjusted. State based jobs and man that would not look good. Come up into the city and watch the drivers run their routes. But stay out of their way.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I am under a self imposed media blackout. I'm gonna lose my s**t if I hear another douchebag reporter repeat Everytown For Gun Safety's stat there have been 18 school shootings so far this year.

What happened yesterday was a school shooting. But to get to 18, they had count...

A pellet gun fired at a school bus

A third grader who coonfingered a school resource officer's gun, in the holster, discharging it into the floor

A veteran with PTSD who shot and killed himself in a school parking lot after hours of negotiation with police

A criminal justice student who fired a bullet through a wall after mistaking the firearm for training gun at a community college

And numerous drive by, or fights in parking lots where shots were fired

18 school shooting incidents have occurred in the U.S. so far in 2018

:rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am under a self imposed media blackout. I'm gonna lose my s**t if I hear another douchebag reporter repeat Everytown For Gun Safety's stat there have been 18 school shootings so far this year.

What happened yesterday was a school shooting. But to get to 18, they had count...

A pellet gun fired at a school bus

A third grader who coonfingered a school resource officer's gun, in the holster, discharging it into the floor

A veteran with PTSD who shot and killed himself in a school parking lot after hours of negotiation with police

A criminal justice student who fired a bullet through a wall after mistaking the firearm for training gun at a community college

And numerous drive by, or fights in parking lots where shots were fired

18 school shooting incidents have occurred in the U.S. so far in 2018

:rolleyes:

Anything they can compile to push the agenda from the spinning heads bully pulpit.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The “conservative” Fox News, went through the litany of school shootings yesterday that have occurred since Columbine.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    So does anyone see a panic buy out of this or not?

You never know, but I'm thinking if nothing happened after Vegas, it won't here either. We have to be careful though.

Yea yea, think of the children, but it seems people are treating this like a security/mental health issue. Kids at the school are saying it doesn't surprise them that this kid did it. They even reported the FBI investigated social media posts from the kid. Sounds like people knew very well this kid had issues.

Last edited:

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Its a sad sad world we currently live in. This P.O.S. is a product of his parents not doing their jobs of raising their kids right. Hey, how about these waste of space breeders teach little johnny to have respect for the life of another human being, what no they cannot because their too busy with anything but parenting and their own self interests. Im sure when he grows up nothing bad will happen, right? What little johnny is a deliquent teenager, well lets just throw some mind altering medication at him and pretend it solves all the problems we created. What little johnny is all grown up and is a mass murderer, ...I know lets blame the TOOL he used. I blame the person who pulled the trigger. As usual, the anti's will use it to try and push more worthless gun control as they always do. thoughts and prayers to all the people involved in this tragic event.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom