chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I much prefer the point over the flat.

Separating the two, IMHO, would make both easier, not harder, to smoke properly. A big part of what makes a whole packer a challenge is that the point and the flat can have such differing cook profiles. So, it's really easy to overcook the flat or undercook the point, if you're not careful.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I much prefer the point over the flat.

Separating the two, IMHO, would make both easier, not harder, to smoke properly. A big part of what makes a whole packer a challenge is that the point and the flat can have such differing cook profiles. So, it's really easy to overcook the flat or undercook the point, if you're not careful.
    Yep. That's why I always smoke based on the flat then separate and turn the whole point into burnt ends. The family prefers burnt ends, so it's gone first.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    So...talking with a buddy about how I am thinking about smoking a whole packer, but don't need that much brisket right now.

He says he takes the brisket and cuts it into fourths, cooks one fourth and freezes the others. Then he pulls others out as needed and smokes them.

Really? It seems like it would not cook up the same with fat/meat ratios being off.

Has anybody tried this?

Would you consider trying this?
    I've posted this previously but I load the smoker with several roasts, etc. and smoke for two or three hours and refreeze what I won't use immediately. I've cut brisket and pork belly into smaller portions for the refreeze.

This eliminates the extra smoking and pellet waste. Whether it's a brisket party foul or not, I put the brisket piece in the Ninja Foodie and pressure cooked it. Very rich broth and brisket flavor. I do the same with pork butt and chuck roast as the pressure cooking will finish a frozen roast within 1.5 hour and the flavor is great. Crock pots now reserved for keeping foods warm.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Trying something new. Found a premium Angus Eye of Round roast in the narrow marked down section and bought it. 2.5# for $14. So I seasoned it heavy then deep fried it to a golden crust. Stuck it in my Dutch oven to hang out to a 135 center. Plan on slicing it thin like roast beef but not quite shaved.
    20220930_162744.jpg20220930_162813.jpg20220930_170201.jpg20220930_170508.jpg

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Pulled it at 133. Left the lid off and it sat out on my counter. While I was doing sautéed red bell peppers and onions the meat climbed WAY too much. It went to 150 behind my back. Never have I had a piece of meat climb that much after taking it off heat and resting it. Kinda disappointed it did that. Still was good though 20220930_175901.jpg20220930_182019.jpg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I'm attempting my first full packer brisket this evening. It was 13.5 lbs before I trimmed a pound or two off of of it. It went on the Traeger at 7pm at 200F. I'll check it earl in the morning, wrap it and raise the temperature. Hoping it will be done by early afternoon so it can rest up for dinner.

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Well at around 5.5 hours, this is probably the lowest and slowest I've gone on chicken....

First bite says it was worth it!

View attachment 228026

First spatchcock as well.

Now I'm starting to think about a Thanksgiving turkey....spatchcock low and slow.

Looks awesome! I have smoked turkeys the last 2 Thanksgivings. Definitely worth a try

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Cut a half ribeye roast into steaks. Seasoned well then into smoker for half hr then onto a scorching hot Blackstone with butter. Cut up some taters and onions with oil and butter and seasonings and threw them on the charcoal grill with a chunk of hickory. Wife made some fresh green beans in the house
    20221007_175156.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Cut a half ribeye roast into steaks. Seasoned well then into smoker for half hr then onto a scorching hot Blackstone with butter. Cut up some taters and onions with oil and butter and seasonings and threw them on the charcoal grill with a chunk of hickory. Wife made some fresh green beans in the house
    View attachment 228958
    That's my kind of meal right there.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    View attachment 228958

DANG!!!! That looks delicious!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom