• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If the family didn't want him there, then I have no problem with them going to the media before or after. The police used this funeral to lodge their protest because they knew it would gain nation attention and widespread media coverage.

I like how it's okay for the mayor to show up for political reasons when nobody wanted him there, and use this for a photo opportunity and score some political points, but it's not okay for all those people who didn't want him there to show him that in the least disruptive way possible.

:rolleyes:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I like how it's okay for the mayor to show up for political reasons when nobody wanted him there, and use this for a photo opportunity and score some political points, but it's not okay for all those people who didn't want him there to show him that in the least disruptive way possible.

:rolleyes:

And you and I and anyone else with open eyes can see De Blasio for what he is. If you live in his voting district, you can fire him next election. How does a De Blasio supporter fire the police?

Politicians are politicians. Police are police.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    They can't take their protest elsewhere? If the police can protest the mayor at the funeral, can the Garner protesters protest the police at the same funeral?
    You really aren't comparing oranges with oranges here. The police are protesting the mayor because they do not feel like he supports them, and helped to create an atmosphere of distrust (if not hostility) towards the police. His presence at the funeral is widely seen by the police as a political maneuver, and not driven by concern for the fallen officers. So while the police in attendance are there to show their respects to their fallen brothers they are not obliged to show respect to the mayor.

By contrast the Garner protesters showing up to protest at a police funeral is inherently deeply disrespectful towards the fallen officers, their families, and those officers in attendance.

**edited to add**
    Since these officers were murdered this was not the first public shunning of the mayor by police. It has been a consistent public act signifying the lack of confidence the police have in the mayor.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BS. Is a funeral a sacred event or not?

If I were driving around NYC with a De Blasio bumper sticker, do I have the faintest belief that I will be treated fairly by NYPD?

I'm fair with lots of people I don't like or who have different beliefs than me. I'm not as petty as you seem to assume people are.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But you'd use the funeral of a fallen officer to show the world your displeasure of the mayor?

If it meant less chance of ANOTHER police funeral, absolutely, if that was the officer and family's wish. If my funeral could be of such assistance, I'd be honored for my death to have some meaning.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hornady, here's why you don't see our point. You are approaching it as selfish and grand standing. We are approaching it as selflessness of the fallen to protect the living brothers. Sort of like organ donation, it provides some meaning to a senseless killing and fulfills why we got into this job. To help. Not to enforce based on bumper stickers or the other petty, shallow, and selfish motivations you apparently ascribe to others. If you view the world solely through that lens, nothing I say can give you understanding.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    But you'd use the funeral of a fallen officer to show the world your displeasure of the mayor?

A mayor who showed up to use the death of a friend and coworker for political gain, despite nobody wanting him there, and insulting everybody in attendance in the name of politics? That mayor?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hornady, here's why you don't see our point. You are approaching it as selfish and grand standing. We are approaching it as selflessness of the fallen to protect the living brothers. Sort of like organ donation, it provides some meaning to a senseless killing and fulfills why we got into this job. To help. Not to enforce based on bumper stickers or the other petty, shallow, and selfish motivations you apparently ascribe to others. If you view the world solely through that lens, nothing I say can give you understanding.

You can't use the other 364 days of the year to make your point? You think the officers turning their backs on De Blasio will make him rethink his position? All I see coming out of this is a further rift between the police, the mayor and the people.

No matter how much I might agree with the protest statement being made, it doesn't change the fact that it's wrong to use someone's funeral as a means to achieve a desired end. What would happen if soldiers in uniform turned their back on the president? Do not the officers of NYPD work under the mayor?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You can't use the other 364 days of the year to make your point? You think the officers turning their backs on De Blasio will make him rethink his position? All I see coming out of this is a further rift between the police, the mayor and the people.

No matter how much I might agree with the protest statement being made, it doesn't change the fact that it's wrong to use someone's funeral as a means to achieve a desired end. What would happen if soldiers in uniform turned their back on the president? Do not the officers of NYPD work under the mayor?

The mayor chose the time and place. He could have just as easily picked another day, time, and venue. But he didn't. He used that funeral to achieve a desired end, much more so than the cops in attendance did.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yes.
    I dono, since we are not soldiers and subject to the UCMJ I have no idea. If our mayor said the same thing about us he's be lucky not to get slapped by my wife. You may get butthurt over this but if the family is onboard and we are invited to attend the funeral...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Under the UCMJ, any soldiers showing public disrespect for the Commander-In-Chief would be subject to disciplinary action. Uniformed military personnel are also forbidden from participating in political functions while in uniform. Law enforcement personnel aren't subject to the UCMJ, so unless their department has some sort of policy forbidding police participation in political demonstrations, their situations aren't comparable to military personnel.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If it meant less chance of ANOTHER police funeral, absolutely, if that was the officer and family's wish. If my funeral could be of such assistance, I'd be honored for my death to have some meaning.

I'm with BBI on this. The deaths are a tragedy, but they are already gone. When I die, if my people can use my death as leverage to do good, go for it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The mayor is not the reason the NYPD is hated and despised. They need to hold up a mirror to see that reason. I can see why they might want to disrespect their mayor, given that they dislike his words, but that's not the reason they're reviled. If the police department didn't want the mayor there then they should have made that very clear. I am doubting they did. That funeral was the wrong place to make any form of political statement.

Top Bottom