• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Each is an outstanding dog. Different "traits", "insticts", "purposes", and such....and each outstanding dogs.

Along with with "working dogs" comes the responsibility to work them.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    He is getting agility courses set up around the house. He walks the woods when out on the tractor. Also has a tactical harness and gets used as a pack animal when we walk up to get the mail (a 1/2 mile walk). He carries the mail back in his pouch. Plan to have him carry his own supplies when we go hiking also. He roams all over the property when I am outside. Have a GPS collar on him but he doesn't go out of visual range, yet.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    He is getting agility courses set up around the house. He walks the woods when out on the tractor. Also has a tactical harness and gets used as a pack animal when we walk up to get the mail (a 1/2 mile walk). He carries the mail back in his pouch. Plan to have him carry his own supplies when we go hiking also. He roams all over the property when I am outside. Have a GPS collar on him but he doesn't go out of visual range, yet.

Dogs were not created to be on a leash.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dogs were not created to be on a leash.
    yeah. The GPS collar is also an E-Collar. I used to be against those 30 years ago, but the technology has come along way and used correctly lead to a much more pleasant off leash experience for the owner and the dog much quicker than traditional training methods.

Have always used Monks of New Skete methods since late 80s and last year they introduced and formally condoned using E-Collars after 10 years of developing the methods and put out a new book on it in October 2020 which was the same month I picked him up :)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    German Shepherd dogs are truly intelligent dogs.... keep it challenged and working like you are doing and planning... bring out its best.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The first Lab I ever trained back in 1992 was a wonderful dog. Miss that one. I could put her on a sit stay in the front yard and come out 30 min later and other than swiveling to see the front door, she wouldn't move.

Clawed the heck out of me one time though.....

I was fishing and wading in the water. She decided to come out to me. Well the stream was swift and the water was up to my chest and I saw her start to lose ground so I moved to "block" the water flow upstream of her and she started gaining a little ground. When we met up he front paws were on my shoulders but as I pulled her into my chest to carry her to the shore, her hind legs, still churning away clawed right into my belly.

Boy did that hurt.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Telephone conversations are not near as good as in person conversations, but they still beat the hell out of "texting" and such.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just had something pop into my head. I was just thinking that my parents' generation (Dad born 1917, passed in 98, Mom born 1922 - and she turns 99 on April 19th :) ) were the real "green" generation. Think about it... all pop bottles were returnable, and glass, not plastic. There was no "paper or plastic" decision to be made at the grocery. You were gettin' paper! :): And Mom would save those, and Dad would re-use them at Aldi.

But anyhow, the memory that really got me thinking about this was Mom rinsing out and re-using plastic bags. And these weren't Ziploc bags. I'm talking about the thin "baggies" with the long flap on the top that you kind of tucked back under an extra flap just under the "front" edge of the "baggie".

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Just had something pop into my head. I was just thinking that my parents' generation (Dad born 1917, passed in 98, Mom born 1922 - and she turns 99 on April 19th :) ) were the real "green" generation. Think about it... all pop bottles were returnable, and glass, not plastic. There was no "paper or plastic" decision to be made at the grocery. You were gettin' paper! :): And Mom would save those, and Dad would re-use them at Aldi.

But anyhow, the memory that really got me thinking about this was Mom rinsing out and re-using plastic bags. And these weren't Ziploc bags. I'm talking about the thin "baggies" with the long flap on the top that you kind of tucked back under an extra flap just under the "front" edge of the "baggie".

Uhhh... I watched my grandparents do some straight up heinous stuff. Like pour sour 2 cycle gas straight into the lake. Burn all the trash (including all of the plastic). Burn old tires or also just throw them in the lake. On it goes.

Back in the day that's just what you did, but... I wouldn't say they were very "green". Cheap/thrifty, resourceful, etc? Sure.

Some of the old ways probably could, and maybe should, make a come back. But many more of them should not.

Top Bottom