ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    The newer crowd doesn't know me....kinda more fun that way lol
    True, and it would be interesting to know more IMO. My join date is way earlier than when I became active, so I don’t know you either, except to think it seems you bring some polarization to the conversation, from what I can dig up.
    In other words, a lot of this seemed to be covered, and you jumped in, and then you said just drop it.?
    This is an ongoing thing, and I am here to learn, I can suggest but have no notion of changing anyone’s mind. Just a conversation.

/rmbl

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What should be said about a guy that goes nuts trying to control someone calling the vaccine "experimental"?

It's fair to call a drug that hasn't had full FDA approval "experimental". If it had gone through everything required by the approval process I wouldn't call it experimental. But it hasn't. So I do.

On the far side of that is the people who are claiming it hasn't been tested and that's not true. The drug companies are preparing their applications for approval now, which includes all the tests and data they've collected.

The FDA has to review all that and determine if the data show they're safe. That review hasn't been done and anyone who whines about calling THAT experimental needs to take their ideological blinders off. And anyone who says it's "experimental" because it hasn't been tested also needs to take their ideological blinders off.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    True, and it would be interesting to know more IMO. My join date is way earlier than when I became active, so I don’t know you either, except to think it seems you bring some polarization to the conversation, from what I can dig up.
    In other words, a lot of this seemed to be covered, and you jumped in, and then you said just drop it.?
    This is an ongoing thing, and I am here to learn, I can suggest but have no notion of changing anyone’s mind. Just a conversation.

/rmbl
    The polarization goes both ways. People on here have different perspectives and beliefs about the pandemic and vaccinations. It's obvious that people on opposite ends of the belief spectrum are gonna have some polarized discussions.

But at most I'd just say mbills is just being a good apologist for his field. He's never really participated much in the political threads that I can remember, so it looks to me like he's just a bit more passionate about this subject. I mean, why not cut each other a little slack? Except for Bug. It's okay to be mean to him. He posts in teal. And he's a Buckeye.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    The polarization goes both ways. People on here have different perspectives and beliefs about the pandemic and vaccinations. It's obvious that people on opposite ends of the belief spectrum are gonna have some polarized discussions.

But at most I'd just say mbills is just being a good apologist for his field. He's never really participated much in the political threads that I can remember, so it looks to me like he's just a bit more passionate about this subject. I mean, why not cut each other a little slack? Except for Bug. It's okay to be mean to him. He posts in teal. And he's a Buckeye.
    Yea, it bothers me that he posts in teal and I generally agree with him, and a little bit that he’s a Buckeye. I’m just glad I’m so open minded.

I appreciate the fact that there’s an educated pharmacist posting. The question for everyone is ‘where did you get your info to arrive at the conclusions you have arrived at?’ IMO. From a highly sophisticated and educated source that has been played, or a wacko conspiracy site that might just be on to something?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

/rmbl
    So... A dissenting view point is polarizing? Only in an echo chamber would that be considered polarizing.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Not really my business but I didn’t read it as a threat at all, more like just simply changing the subject to something more like what you may find on a gun forum, or wanting to know more about you.
    Don’t know him IRL, but my guess is if he wanted to threaten you you wouldn’t hear it.
    Now I follow

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yea, it bothers me that he posts in teal and I generally agree with him, and a little bit that he’s a Buckeye. I’m just glad I’m so open minded.

I appreciate the fact that there’s an educated pharmacist posting. The question for everyone is ‘where did you get your info to arrive at the conclusions you have arrived at?’ IMO. From a highly sophisticated and educated source that has been played, or a wacko conspiracy site that might just be on to something?

Everyone has to judge the available information for themselves and decide if it should inform their beliefs. Sometimes those conspiracy sites are onto something. Sometimes those academic sources just can't seem to free themselves from their own ideological biases. We've seen both in this pandemic.

I'll say this about the sources of information that are viewed as officially expert. They've not performed well in this pandemic. I'd go so far as to say they've failed us. And how they've failed us is in allowing ideology to influence the scientific information especially by being gatekeepers of information. But I'm way past my allowed two sentences so I'll shut up now.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So... A dissenting view point is polarizing? Only in an echo chamber would that be considered polarizing.
    Well, no. It's like I said. I think it's at least as much a function of the distance between the viewpoints as it is the volume of viewpoints skewed to one side. You look at these covid threads and opinions have a decidedly right wing perspective, but still have plenty of dissenting viewpoints. Hardly an echo chamber.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

Seems a fair assessment. Not really coming at this from a political standpoint here. One of my biggest frustrations throughout this ordeal is that it was made political, but then again, what isn't made political now.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Everyone has to judge the available information for themselves and decide if it should inform their beliefs. Sometimes those conspiracy sites are onto something. Sometimes those academic sources just can't seem to free themselves from their own ideological biases. We've seen both in this pandemic.

I'll say this about the sources of information that are viewed as officially expert. They've not performed well in this pandemic. I'd go so far as to say they've failed us. And how they've failed us is in allowing ideology to influence the scientific information especially by being gatekeepers of information. But I'm way past my allowed two sentences so I'll shut up now.
    Well I never should have tried to make that joke. Just forget I ever said anything!
    And the rest of it, well said.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    The only thing worse than an echo chamber is hypocrisy. So no, I’m not in it for that.
    Didn’t think you were being polarizing here necessarily
    The polarizing part came from my idea that while I don’t know you very well, there are threads on here wanting to permaban you and simultaneously make you the king mod or something.
    That comment was more about the long term history, and I could be off base on it, not sure.
    Sometimes people like to argue just for arguments sake, and just sorting that out.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The only thing worse than an echo chamber is hypocrisy. So no, I’m not in it for that.
    Didn’t think you were being polarizing here necessarily
    The polarizing part came from my idea that while I don’t know you very well, there are threads on here wanting to permaban you and simultaneously make you the king mod or something.
    That comment was more about the long term history, and I could be off base on it, not sure.
    Sometimes people like to argue just for arguments sake, and just sorting that out.
    It's just a longstanding joke that grew into something kinda over the top. I think Jagee started it maybe. I don't even remember.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom