• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You actually got the point in you first post. It is a b**** session.

The bar to be defined an annoying cyclists is so low that just existence is enough to qualify…
    C'mon Mike. You're so vain you probably think this thread is about you.

I'll say it again. If you're not a dickhead on a bike this thread isn't about you. There is no reason to stick up for dickheads, or to try to make this about all cyclists. Several people opining on dickhead cyclists in this thread also cycle themselves.

I like to ride too. I don't ride on roads anymore because there are too many distracted drivers. When I did ride on roads, I tried to be curious of others. I did not want to hinder their travel because that is unsafe for me and them. On a bicycle, if someone's behind me on a hill or blind curve I tried to pull off and let them pass as soon as I could safely do so. It's not hard to not be a dickhead on a bicycle. It's beneficial for both. But of course you already know that.

Of course it is a bitch session. Speaking of distracted drivers, like I said before, if you want to make a "dickhead drivers" thread, feel free. I'll bitch about them right along with you.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    C'mon Mike. You're so vain you probably think this thread is about you.

I'll say it again. If you're not a dickhead on a bike this thread isn't about you. There is no reason to stick up for dickheads, or to try to make this about all cyclists. Several people opining on dickhead cyclists in this thread also cycle themselves.

I like to ride too. I don't ride on roads anymore because there are too many distracted drivers. When I did ride on roads, I tried to be curious of others. I did not want to hinder their travel because that is unsafe for me and them. On a bicycle, if someone's behind me on a hill or blind curve I tried to pull off and let them pass as soon as I could safely do so. It's not hard to not be a dickhead on a bicycle. It's beneficial for both. But of course you already know that.

Of course it is a bitch session. Speaking of distracted drivers, like I said before, if you want to make a "dickhead drivers" thread, feel free. I'll bitch about them right along with you.
    I made two simple points both of which will stand the scrutiny of thread review.

1) This thread is a b**** about cyclists thread as that is the majority of posters.

2) That the bar to being called a dickhead in this thread is very low, so low that just existence on the road triggers it.

Want to talk dickheads, multiple posters in this thread described actions against cyclists that have been charged with assault in some jurisdictions and no one told them they were dickheads…

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Here’s the thing. Rules of the road are made to facilitate safe driving/riding under most conditions. Following them is not always the safest action. That goes for both bikes and motor vehicles. On a bike, sometimes the safest way to proceed is to not stop for the stop sign.
    I agree, and that also applies to cars/trucks. I've blown a couple of stop signs/lights to avoid being rear ended. With bikes the, especially with 2 way stops it minimizes the time being in cross traffic.
    What this thread is about, notwithstanding some outliers, is annoying cyclists. If you disobey rules of the road in a dickheaded way, this thread is about you. If you don’t, it’s not. I think maybe bug needs to recalibrate his expectations about this thread. It’s only anout him if he rides like a dickhead. I’m pretty sure it’s not about him then.
    Yep.
    You actually got the point in you first post. It is a b**** session.

The bar to be defined an annoying cyclists is so low that just existence is enough to qualify…
    Nah, I encountered a cyclist just yesterday driving to Lafayette, they weren't annoying at all. It was even on a 55 mph country rd with curves and hills. And yes we were both going in the same direction.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I made two simple points both of which will stand the scrutiny of thread review.

1) This thread is a b**** about cyclists thread as that is the majority of posters.

2) That the bar to being called a dickhead in this thread is very low, so low that just existence on the road triggers it.

Want to talk dickheads, multiple posters in this thread described actions against cyclists that have been charged with assault in some jurisdictions and no one told them they were dickheads…
    I don't really like to resort to name calling so I won't....but if I was to do so....

I would name everyone in this thread a .... the term you guys are slapping back and forth. Its just so hard for me to call people names.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Drivers aren't distracted. They are just busy cleaning imaginary glass out of their cars as they drive. You don't know.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't really like to resort to name calling so I won't....but if I was to do so....

I would name everyone in this thread a .... the term you guys are slapping back and forth. Its just so hard for me to call people names.

PM me and I'll do it. :D "An anonymous source thinks the following people fit the following labels of ill repute..." You can include me, I don't mind and the offer stands regardless. Not even joking, worse thing that could happen is I get banned and I gives a **** about that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Nah, I encountered a cyclist just yesterday driving to Lafayette, they weren't annoying at all. It was even on a 55 mph country rd with curves and hills. And yes we were both going in the same direction.
    I encountered a bad cyclist yesterday. After dark, bright lights of fast food joints everywhere but no street lights, making a right turn, suddenly a bicycle was coming at, then beside me in my lane. The rider was in all dark clothing, no lights, nothing even reflective on. It happened so fast my passenger didn’t even see the guy. Probably an employee of a fast food joint…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    PM me and I'll do it. :D "An anonymous source thinks the following people fit the following labels of ill repute..." You can include me, I don't mind and the offer stands regardless. Not even joking, worse thing that could happen is I get banned and I gives a **** about that.
    Human being deserving of my love and respect!

You I already love and respect.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I encountered a bad cyclist yesterday. After dark, bright lights of fast food joints everywhere but no street lights, making a right turn, suddenly a bicycle was coming at, then beside me in my lane. The rider was in all dark clothing, no lights, nothing even reflective on. It happened so fast my passenger didn’t even see the guy. Probably an employee of a fast food joint…

Scary as hell.

In Indy people drive their cars like that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

This thread is about cyclist dickheads. Make a thread about motor vehicle dickheads and I'll be there to call the dickhead drivers dickheads.

Here's something I've noticed in some human behavior. Some people are quite eager to find hypocrisy in everyone else, especially as a deflection from criticism that might not even apply to them. So a trigger for outrage becomes something as simple as, "you didn't denounce/disavow x as much as I think you should have! HOW DARE YOU criticize X and not Y."

C'mon man. It's because we're talking about X at the moment. We can have a discussion about Y if you want, but now it's about X. Here's something else I've discovered. Everyone is a hypocrite. You are. I am. Everyone is. At least a little. It's cooked into the firmware. It's instinctive. It's hard to override. So save your outrage for when it matters.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I mean, just by implying it, didn't you say it already? :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Taking his life into his own hands. I think I mentioned a runner on our street who is out there in the dark wearing dark clothes and no reflective material. I think he must have had a close call. I saw him the other morning wearing a reflective vest. He's also taken to cycling lately. That may also be why he wore reflective clothing. He uses it when he's cycling as well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've encountered pedestrians in the middle of the street, in dark clothes, at night.
    I complain about them.
    And would in a pedestrian complaint thread.

Just like I'd complain about a car passing me in the breakdown lane, so he can get 2 cars further. :xmad:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I've encountered pedestrians in the middle of the street, in dark clothes, at night.
    I complain about them.
    And would in a pedestrian complaint thread.

Just like I'd complain about a car passing me in the breakdown lane, so he can get 2 cars further. :xmad:
    I call that a hit n run

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So are you just sticking up for your brethren cyclists who happen to be annoying? Or is it that you think all cyclists are like you, not annoying?
    Even though some of us are really in the weeds in terms of behavior, these are my peeps. The struggle is real

The disconcerting thing is the HEAVILY entitled attitude among the cage people that cyclists need to make all the effort to ameliorate the problem. I have given the cage people numerous examples of how to minimize friction in the interaction and have listed what I feel good behavior by the cyclists should be, but the answer is always 'cyclists need to get out of my way'

Why should I support any attempt to compromise with people like that? Sounds like 'responsible cyclist control' to me

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You are still missing the other point that is maintaining the friction. It is the attitude that no one behind the wheel ever behaves badly in the interaction with cyclists

We know better. Our lived experience is at odds with what you think you know. It would be fun if truck drivers treated you on the road in the same cavalier the way cage people treat cyclists, the momentum differential would be about the same. I suspect you would not like it

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Even though some of us are really in the weeds in terms of behavior, these are my peeps. The struggle is real

The disconcerting thing is the HEAVILY entitled attitude among the cage people that cyclists need to make all the effort to ameliorate the problem. I have given the cage people numerous examples of how to minimize friction in the interaction and have listed what I feel good behavior by the cyclists should be, but the answer is always 'cyclists need to get out of my way'

Why should I support any attempt to compromise with people like that? Sounds like 'responsible cyclist control' to me
    Oh yeah? Well f you and the cycle you rode in on...

I mean that in a very nice way.

I like you even if I don't let on like it.

Top Bottom