• ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Now you went and done it CPT.

Remember, the other thread you refer to was started by an obvious troll stirring the OC/CC pot for his entertainment. Now you being a site supporting, contributing member decides to stir that same pot with an INGO CC community that had nothing to do with that fiasco and with the exception of a couple trolls, stayed away entirely.

Bad taste IMO. XXX

I have nothing against CCers. This wasn't meant to upset anyone. This thread is for OCers. I warned you...

I'm not saying anyone is wrong. Yes, my post was a little demeaning, a little, but I'm so tired of being told I'm a bad person by the gun community.

The CCers who don't stir the pot, you're my friends. Hell, I have a friend that CCs. Fellow INGOer. I don't try to convert him. We don't agree on everything, and that's fine. We don't attack each other over differing opinions.

This thread is not to condemn CCers. I understand why some people want to CC. Me, no. It isn't for me. That doesn't mean it isn't for you.

There are many reasons to carry, and we have different ideas on how to carry, but there should never be a debate on who's right. I'm sick of people trying to give me all kinds of nonsense reasons why OC is bad. I've had enough. It's been said before, but the most negative attention we get is on INGO. That's just wrong.

It's like a rifleman and a SAW gunner arguing over who's better. You both carry guns, you're both on the same team, you're both fighting the same enemy. Stop fighting each other.

So, yeah, I get defensive about my carry choice. I don't hate CCers, just the opinionated ones who know how to live my life better than I do.

[Lets out a deep breath]

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If you are a CCer reading this, you may want to avert your eyes, lest this turn into a shouting match. We've already won that argument.

Why does it have to be an argument? You do what works for you and let others do what works for them.

I've done both, but I prefer to conceal because;
    1. What I've got is nobody else's beeswax
    2. I want to be the only one who knows (it's not tactical, I'm just discreet and prefer to remain inconspicuous.)

Go ahead and rip on those.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Why does it have to be an argument? You do what works for you and let others do what works for them.

2. I want to be the only one who knows (it's not tactical, I'm just discreet and prefer to remain inconspicuous.)

Not gonna do it

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    2. OC works as a crime deterrent.

I see this cited a lot. Are there any reputable statistical analyses that actually show this? I'm not attacking OC: i actually like it. Just because something might have a logical implication doesn't make it true (ie the death penalty is a deterrent).

Reputable statistical study...isn't that some kind of oxymoron?

Seriously...some studies are cited here as are some anecdotes...don't know if any of the cited info will meet your bar, but some interesting reads nonetheless.

Open Carry Deters Crime | Debate Club | US News Opinion

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Remember, the other thread you refer to was started by an obvious troll stirring the OC/CC pot for his entertainment. Now you being a site supporting, contributing member decides to stir that same pot with an INGO CC community that had nothing to do with that fiasco and with the exception of a couple trolls, stayed away entirely.

Bad taste IMO. XXX

:yesway:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

Bad taste IMO. XXX

I would have to agree. This thread is in bad taste and can serve no purpose than to try to inflame and/or instigate another fight. It just seems like leftover, reheated hate from the last thread (that made both sides look bad). The hurt feelings and egos displayed in that thread reminded me of religious rantings. Neither side was going to budge and each side seems convinced that they had "won." No one wins in this kind of non-sensical, ranting post.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    2. OC works as a crime deterrent.

I see this cited a lot. Are there any reputable statistical analyses that actually show this? I'm not attacking OC: i actually like it. Just because something might have a logical implication doesn't make it true (ie the death penalty is a deterrent).

Plenty of testimonial evidence from criminals who profess an unwillingness to engage armed individuals and/or "hit" locales where occupants are known to be armed. Empirical evidence of actual deterrence is an impossibility to prove since you can't prove a negative. But the next best thing is from the horse's mouth, yes?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Plenty of testimonial evidence from criminals who profess an unwillingness to engage armed individuals and/or "hit" locales where occupants are known to be armed. Empirical evidence of actual deterrence is an impossibility to prove since you can't prove a negative. But the next best thing is from the horse's mouth, yes?

Yeah. That.

While we're at it, why don't we do a statistical study on how many people don't die in car accidents annually?

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    James Yeager and Rob Pincus both run shooting schools and are "experts" in everything gun related.

Both agree:

1. Concealed carry is good.
    2. Open carry is bad.
    3. Glocks/M&Ps are good.
    4. 1911s are VERY bad.
    5. Tight shirts are good.
    6. Hair products are overrated.
    7. There is something called the "X". I don't know what it is, but we all need to get off of it.

MY unexpert opinion is that how you carry is a personal choice. Do whatever works for you.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Yes, but a single datum point is NOT evidence, thank you. ;) At best it's a piece of the trend, but impossible to see without additional data. At worst it's a statistical anomaly, an outlier that doesn't fit the trend at all.

The other problem with trying to find empirical evidence for the claim is that it is nigh impossible to control for all the other variables that affect a criminal's decision to act or not to act. Maybe he was willing to proceed despite the holstered firearm in view, but for that.......

And then there's just the ****ty reality that not enough people OC to create a large enough sample size even for attempting a correlational study.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

Not gonna do it

Geez, BK... you must be off your game tonight. I was waiting for you to tell her she ain't hiding nuthin'.

:popcorn:

Top Bottom