Who Carries Two Pistols? Who sees it as unreasonable behaviour?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msmith103

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Hendricks County
    For me it depends on my dress for the day. If I have a pull over fleece or something like that on, I carry 17+1 on my right hip and 2 spare mags on the left hip. If i am IWB carrying, I carry a M&Pc with an extra mag in the opposite pocket. God for bid i get caught without the necessary equipment for the task at hand...

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Now that it is getting cooler out I will start carrying two guns again. I carry my CZ 75 P-01 with a spare magazine as my primary carry and I carry a Ruger LCP in my off-side front pocket.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    I carry a Navy Arms .44 cap in ball revolver in a cross draw rig. Then my primary Colt 1911 .45. on the other hip. Only durying the winter when I can cover with a coat.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm a minimalist, and hate carrying extra stuff with me. I won't carry an extra magazine, much less an extra gun. I don't think doing so is unreasonable, but I do believe it is unnecessary. YMMV

I think data says most shooting incidents are over in about three shots. I'm not expecting a situation to go past three. I figure if I can't take care of it by then, I'm pretty much toast anyway.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I carry 2 everytime I go to work......along with a bunch of other "stuff". Dang my back hurts more just thinking about it.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I personally see nothing unreasonable with carrying two (or more) guns if you see fit to do so. I always carry my Kimber and sometimes take along my SP101 in a SOB holster. Just depends on where I happen to be going. I don't carry spare mags on my person, keep some in the truck though.

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you are only carrying 1 gun and its a semi auto it is for your own safety that you at least carry an extra mag. Most failures that occur are due to mag problems and not the gun IMO.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    If you can carry them concealed and as comfortable as you are willing to deal with, then more power to you. Not unreasonable at all. I a "light and fast" type guy and never even carry an extra mag though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Never carried two, but don't see it as a unreasonable thing to do. Mechanical devices fail, and guns are no exception.

I always carried a spare mag, though, for the above mentioned reason. Didn't necessarily think I'd need to extra rounds, but its essential for quickly clearing a malfunction.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think carrying two pistols is unreasonable.

Well, I think that carrying only two pistols is unreasonable.

As Kirk mentioned, it's not about the odds of needing them, it's about the stakes.

Carrying a reload (or three) is highly recommended. Most malfunctions with a modern self-loading pistol will be magazine related. If your magazine craps out on you when you need it, you'll wish you'd "burdened" yourself with at least one spare. And then there's the little thing that no one (no one) knows how many shots will be needed to solve a given problem. You just don't know. Handguns are puny and relatively ineffective (over 97% of the people shot in the USA survive, including suicides in the data). The good thing about handguns is that they're convenient and they're better than nothing. Even if you're packing a .45ACP or .357 and all of your shots are placed well, there are not guarantees. The "one shot stop" myth is . . . a myth. No one knows how many rounds it will take to solve a given problem. Yeah, I'm repeating myself.

Ultimately, I'd rather go home with extra than wish I'd had another round or two that I really, really needed.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I usually carry a Glock 26 with a spare mag. Sometimes I will carry my smith and wesson 642 with a Ruger LCP as a back up because it would be faster to draw the LCP than try to reload the revolver under stress.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    To me its like the helmet law (Let Those Who Ride Decide) Let those who carrie deside. I my self Carry one on my side and theres always one in the truck and yes both have extra mags.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    To me its like the helmet law (Let Those Who Ride Decide) Let those who carrie deside. I my self Carry one on my side and theres always one in the truck and yes both have extra mags.
    Might as well have a 12 gauge in the truck! If you have to go back to the truck, I figure, it might be serious!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Might as well have a 12 gauge in the truck! If you have to go back to the truck, I figure, it might be serious!

If I have to go back to the truck, I am either going to die, going to get into serious trouble I should have easily avoided to begin with or should take the opportunity to get into the truck and get the heck out of Dodge.

Heroics = dead person in my mind.

msmith103

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Hendricks County
    When you guys carry two firearms, do you carry ones that have interchangable magazines? For example, if I open carry my M&P 9, sometimes I will conceal carry my M&P9c since you can use the full size magazines in the compact.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I only carry one pistol.
    That being said there is either a rifle or a shotgun in my truck/trunk. Cause the only thing a pistol is good for is to fight your way to a rifle...

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    When you guys carry two firearms, do you carry ones that have interchangeable magazines? For example, if I open carry my M&P 9, sometimes I will conceal carry my M&P9c since you can use the full size magazines in the compact.
    Sort of. I normally carry a Glock 19 (compact), but my spare mag is a Glock 17 (full-size). The 19 allows a little better concealment than a full-size pistol, but the larger 17 mag isn't any harder to carry than a 19 mag (and gives 2 more rounds). I also carry the 17 mag when I carry my 26 (sub-compact).

As far as carrying 1, 2, 3, + guns. It all depends on the situation. Generally 1 or 2, but always at least 1 spare magazine.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom