Who Carries Two Pistols? Who sees it as unreasonable behaviour?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    97% of the time it's just one with 2 spare mags. Once in a blue moon or if Im headed somewhere unsavory Ill throw a 442 in my weak side pocket. Even though since winter is coming up I will probably start carrying the 442 in my coat pocket along with a primary as others have said they do. Even though I practice drawing from under my heavy leather coat it is still a difficult and slow process.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Thank you for your responses. I have been playing with the idea of getting a small pocket pistol as potential back up to my every day carry. I've often read that people end up ditching their mouse guns for their EDC. I'd like to have something light for when I am out in a situation where a J-frame isn't possible. I've mentioned before about riding bicycles around... seems it would be easier to carry a LCP or something similar than a J-frame.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have carried 2 before, but usually just 1. the way i look at it, in the event myprimary gun jams/FTF/FTE etc -or- i would need to reload, having a BUG is a much quicker and safer option.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I can barely carry one gun on most days and keep it concealed, so two would be almost out of the question for me. But when I'm in my truck, I'm usually carrying a firearm on my body, with at least one more in the truck

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    I have carried two depending on the circumstances. If I know that I am going to be parking in a secure parking lot at a business I will leave my main carry gun in the truck and take my smaller tomcat with me. It fits in my pocket and is not noticed. the Tomcat is a good backup for my Colt. I do carry an extra magazine with me. Depending were I am going and how far I am going I may carry as many a four extra mags. If I am hiking I my take 5 or 6 with me.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    1, 2, or 3.

One when I'm going places I need to be deep concealed.

Two or three when I'm going out with the girlfriend. She usually carries one (she's LEO), but there's been times when we run out somewhere quickly and she's asked for one of mine while she waits in the car.

My holsters are so comfortable I don't see it as a problem :)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've carried two guns hunting lots of times before. It's been a waste of effort at the best and a mistake too many times to keep repeating it.

Now I just carry one good one and stick to one job at a time. I'll carry a the tool to do what I plan to do and anything I don't plan for I'll make it do the best I can.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Normally I just carry one, which is normally my 1911 mil spec and 2 spare mags, with 2-4 spare mags in the car. If going to a bad area or somewhere further from home than normal I'll throw my 709 in the car with me, and/or into my weakside frt pocket. And 2 mags with it as well.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I just about always (very few exceptions, usually having to do with State or Federal law) carry my P3AT in fairly deep concealment. Much of the time, however, I carry my 1911. I can carry the 1911 "deep concealment" but the shape of my body is such that it's uncomfortable to do so and so I carry the 1911 OC or simple concealed in a tuckable IWB (I have reviews of both carry rigs to write up RSN).

The way I carry the P3AT is such that it's just as easy to have it even when I'm carrying the 1911 and if I happen to stop somewhere where I need "deep conceal" rather than "ordinary conceal" well, I can put the 1911 in a lockbox in the car and not be disarmed.

Then there's the fallacy of playing the odds. The average number of rounds fired in a defensive shooting may be only one or two rounds but a person can drown in a stream that averages only an inch deep if he happens to step in the pool that's 10 feet deep. When you're betting your life, what odds do you really want to give?

My P3AT is small and lightweight and there's no real downside to carrying it. On the flip side, if I need it then it would be really awkward to have to say "excuse me Mr. Rioting Crowd but I need to go home and get my other gun. Would you be a dear and wait right here until I get back? Thanks." I'd rather just say "bangbangbangbangbangbangbang."

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Unreasonable? No, not if it floats your boat.

More of a pain in the rear than it's worth? Yes, for most private citizens, IMHO.

I carry one or two spare mags most times, except when I'm in a place where I actually need to stay concealed. I hate having a mag banging around in my pocket, so then I hope 10 is enough, if I ever need it. And hope the one mag doesn't malfunction, the biggest reason I carry a spare mag to begin with.

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    2 if I'm OCing one.
    My OC gun is generally a S&W Model 327 (8 rds .357).
    My backup to that is usually an XD40SC with 9 in the magazine, one in the chamber, and an extra 12 rd magazine.
    In my trunk I have started carrying either an 870 or an AK most of the time.

One of my main reasons for carrying 2 when I'm OCing is because I have bought all my pants to fit best when I have a gun IWB. So my BUG is just so my pants fit.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    One of my main reasons for carrying 2 when I'm OCing is because I have bought all my pants to fit best when I have a gun IWB. So my BUG is just so my pants fit.

I am considering this as a solution to having lost a bit of girth around the middle. All my pants fit too loose now.
    May have to stick an extra gun IWB just to shim out the fit.:yesway:

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I've never carried 2 on my person. 1 0n my hip, and at least 1 in my vehicle. What I carry depends on the time of year , and where I'm going. A lot of the time I just carry a 2 shot Bond with .45 Colts in it. If I'm going to a large metropolitan area, I might grab my 1991A1 and 2 spare mags. My .41 mag Blackhawk stays in my vehicle as backup. (if you can't tell, I like calibers that start with a "4". lol)

firefighter4884

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Evansville
    I've almost always got at least one on me. With a backup magazine.

I also have on occasion carried a second pistol in my pocket.

I feel the behavior is completely rational behavior.

--Jim

gunrunner0320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Anderson
    i had 2 with me the other day . could not decide wich one to carry so i took both with me . had to oc one of them never did that before, and it did feal kinda odd but it was ok. id do it agean if need be. i just couldnt leave my little 32 at home its been a lot of places with me, and the other is a 380 that was my dads .

jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I just carry the 1 gun with the 1 15 round mag that is in the gun. I carry it chambered so there is actually only 14 in the mag. I also carry 2 pocket knives because I use them for different cutting tasks.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom