• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Size wise, I dunno yet.

We've started looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford edge and escape, GMC Acadia.

Is MPG one of you considerations?!

Well, we have a Pontiac G6 now. It has great MPG. I know we'll lose a lot going to a SUV.

So, I'd want something that gets more than 13 MPG...

Don't be afraid to look at the smaller "CUV" class, either.

New Ford Escape and new Mazda CX-5 finished ahead of the CR-V in a recent Motor Trend comparison. Then there's the CR-V and the Toyota RAV-4. I guess the small CUV offerings from both Kia and VW are supposed to suck in actual road dynamics / comfort (Though the VW is the quickest)

A co-worker of mine has a 2012 Equinox 4wd... He gets almost 30mpg on the highway during his 140mi daily commute. Whenever our Altima goes T/U on us, an Equinox / Terrain will be on the list to at least consider.

-J-

Do you guys "need" and SUV / CUV for some reason - or just want one?

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    The Volvo Sugga TP 21 Command Car because it is unique and looks cool:

1957_Volvo_Sugga_4x4_Command_Car_resize.jpg

1957_Volvo_Sugga_Command_Car_For_Sale_Rear_1.jpeg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Do you guys "need" and SUV / CUV for some reason - or just want one?

"Need" is such a strong word...

Want is more like it :D

Majority of our family says that a SUV trumps a car for a family vehicle every time.

So I dunno.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Our next SUV will probably be a Subaru Forester. My wife drives a 10 year old (bought new) Subaru Legacy and it has been an extremely reliable and maintenance-free vehicle.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    The new Subaru Forester kinda looks like an SUV, but I'd classify that more as a station wagon than an SUV. If it doesn't have a live axle in either end, it's just a glorified minivan.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "Need" is such a strong word...

Want is more like it :D

Majority of our family says that a SUV trumps a car for a family vehicle every time.

So I dunno.

I hear ya...

We really wanted an Equinox / Terrain.

But for the money - we ended up with a minivan. MUCH more room. And it has indeed come in very very very very handy.

If my wife and I were "normal" height - we could certainly get away with a smaller vehicle.

Lots of folks have ideas of what they think they want - only to determine too late that a vehicle just doesn't work when you add in rear-facing child seats + stroller + etc etc etc.

Granted, shorter folks can get away with smaller vehicles - even with rear-facing child seats installed.

(By the way, how's that getting-out-of-debt going...)

-J-

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I hear ya...

We really wanted an Equinox / Terrain.

But for the money - we ended up with a minivan. MUCH more room. And it has indeed come in very very very very handy.

If my wife and I were "normal" height - we could certainly get away with a smaller vehicle.

Lots of folks have ideas of what they think they want - only to determine too late that a vehicle just doesn't work when you add in rear-facing child seats + stroller + etc etc etc.

Granted, shorter folks can get away with smaller vehicles - even with rear-facing child seats installed.

(By the way, how's that getting-out-of-debt going...)

-J-

It's actually going very well. I'm down to one credit card now, and will hopefully be paid off by the end of the year.

Wife and I are going out this weekend to look at SUV's. Figure out what we like..

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    BMW X5.
    You can get the smaller engine or the larger engine, enough room for a few adults, enough room to haul stuff...

It will hold up over time, many options.
    (I buy used, would not buy a new BMW as the price is to high)

I hope you don't ever need the function of UTILITY. The rear seats don't fold down in the X5 I rode in. That's just plain silly.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's actually going very well. I'm down to one credit card now, and will hopefully be paid off by the end of the year.

Wife and I are going out this weekend to look at SUV's. Figure out what we like..

Kudos on getting to be debt free...

Just know that car shopping is a very very very very very good way to go right back into debt.

Why not wait until you NEED a new/er vehicle? ;)

Top Bottom