• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I still have my 2001 Cherokee and it's still the favorite vehicle I've owned. I also had a '91 that I loved as well. It's not big and it's not fancy but I've moved and pulled all kinds of things in it and it's never let me down. The inline 6 is hard to kill.

I had a '94 JGCL with the 6-cyl and I put 300K on it. Great engine. My 2004 JGCL also has the 6-cyl. Gas mileage sucks though. :)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The Jeep Cherokee was never available with the 4.7L or any V8 for that matter. You must be thinking about the Grand Cherokee, which is not the same vehicle.

The Cherokee was available with the GM 2.8L V6, which is probably the worst engine GM ever made. The vast majority of them, however, have the 4.0L I6, which is one of the most durable engines ever installed in any vehicle, hands down.

People failing to make the distinction between the Grand Cherokee and the Cherokee are quite aggravating, as it's screwing up my search for a decent Cherokee.

My bad, they were Grand Cherokees. Sorry to aggravate you:D

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    LOL

Wife and I are in the market for a newer SUV. Something nice that can be used as a comfortable, safe, 4x4 family vehicle.

Figured it would be smart to get one before we have a family of our own.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Surprised there aren't many other Government Motor fans... I have 183,000 on my 2003 escalade, I bought it with 30,000.

Besides gas mileage, this thing is great. Nothing major has gone bad. The first 100,000 miles it was under factory warranty - hard to beat. AWD, 6.0 V8 power, DVD for the kiddos, space a plenty, tows anything, GPS, OnStar, rear heat/air, and is safe. I have replaced the alternator, a fuel pump and a battery. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned. Thing. Just. Keeps. Going.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There's a lot of options out there for SUV's. Chevy has them, Ford, Jeep, GMC, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler....

What's your favorite and why?

Classic: 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Its the last year they made that model, it was the best, most capable and most refined of the series.

Modern & Practical: Mercedes Benz GL 350 Bluetec. Amazing interior, capable off road, massive towing capacity, massive interior hauling capacity and EXCELLENT FUEL ECONOMY with the diesel engine.

Modern & Impractical: Ford Expedition. Very good interior, especially with the King Ranch options, lousy "Ford My Touch" interface, capable off road, massive towing capacity, massive interior hauling capacity, and HORRIBLE fuel economy with no engine choice options. Easily beats the Suburban/Denali because Ford didn't take .gov money, didn't screw investors, and isn't bleeding cash, plus its a better vehicle.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    BMW X5.
    You can get the smaller engine or the larger engine, enough room for a few adults, enough room to haul stuff...

It will hold up over time, many options.
    (I buy used, would not buy a new BMW as the price is to high)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Lovemachine,

What size SUV are you thinking on moving towards?! It would help to narrow the choices down...

My Wife currently has a Jeep JK, we like it. We also have an 03 Ford Escape, it has been a great small SUV. We are currently contemplating moving towards a Ford Excursion...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . moving towards a Ford Excursion...
    Ahhh, based on the old Super Duty pick up, parodied in song on The Simpsons "Can you name the truck with four wheel drive, smells like a steak and seats thirty-five..., with 10,000+ pounds of towing capacity and the vehicle that pioneered the use of the blocker bar which allowed it to steamroll over anything unfortunate enough to get in its way. Oh for the good old days!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Classic: 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Its the last year they made that model, it was the best, most capable and most refined of the series.

Modern & Practical: Mercedes Benz GL 350 Bluetec. Amazing interior, capable off road, massive towing capacity, massive interior hauling capacity and EXCELLENT FUEL ECONOMY with the diesel engine.

Modern & Impractical: Ford Expedition. Very good interior, especially with the King Ranch options, lousy "Ford My Touch" interface, capable off road, massive towing capacity, massive interior hauling capacity, and HORRIBLE fuel economy with no engine choice options. Easily beats the Suburban/Denali because Ford didn't take .gov money, didn't screw investors, and isn't bleeding cash, plus its a better vehicle.
    You had me at the first two. The third one you suggested, made me shudder. I was really hoping Ford would just drop it from the line... :noway:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    You had me at the first two. The third one you suggested, made me shudder. I was really hoping Ford would just drop it from the line... :noway:

If they would do a bi-fuel CNG/Gas version of the Expedition it would be awesome. If they would put in a modest diesel it would be awesome. But they only offer it as a waste-of-$$$ gasser and that makes it impractical in today's world.

The Expedition and the Excursion were essentially the same cabins with different running gear, Expedition based on the F150 while the Excursion was based on the F250 power train. For those who need/want a big SUV they are tough to beat. The Mercedes Benz GL 350 BlueTec does beat the Expedition, but comes at a high price. The Expedition can be had for about $45,000 new, nicely equipped. The MB GL 350 is roughly $70,000 nicely equipped.

If we could get a decent Land Rover Defender in this country that would win any battle but what they import are the totally unreliable models instead of the bullet proof models.

Jeep Grand Cherokee is coming out with a Common Rail Diesel option for 2013 (or so its reported) and that might be a nice option. I prefer the VW Touareg in that size class, with the TDI option its a heck of a mid-size SUV.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If they would do a bi-fuel CNG/Gas version of the Expedition it would be awesome. If they would put in a modest diesel it would be awesome. But they only offer it as a waste-of-$$$ gasser and that makes it impractical in today's world.
    Any Engine option is almost a better option than what they currently offer...

I do wonder how much of it is driven by Government Regulations?!
    The Expedition and the Excursion were essentially the same cabins with different running gear, Expedition based on the F150 while the Excursion was based on the F250 power train. For those who need/want a big SUV they are tough to beat. The Mercedes Benz GL 350 BlueTec does beat the Expedition, but comes at a high price. The Expedition can be had for about $45,000 new, nicely equipped. The MB GL 350 is roughly $70,000 nicely equipped.
    I would argue that the Excursion also has more interior cubage, but I cannot find the data to back that up. IF, if the Expedition would come out with a Diesel Power option, I might reconsider it. I don't see that as a viable possibility, although I do know there are several companies that will install a couple of different diesel options...
    If we could get a decent Land Rover Defender in this country that would win any battle but what they import are the totally unreliable models instead of the bullet proof models.
    The best chance of that happening are long gone...
    At least since Ford sold them, in what 08?!
    Jeep Grand Cherokee is coming out with a Common Rail Diesel option for 2013 (or so its reported) and that might be a nice option. I prefer the VW Touareg in that size class, with the TDI option its a heck of a mid-size SUV.
    I'm holding my breathe on a Diesel Grand for 13...

We have looked at the VW, I think it would probably be a good option for those who don't want a Minivan, or a Tall Stationwagon. I personally put it on the bottom half of the mid-size SUV...
    Might be nice for the Suburbanite that wants a SUV...:dunno:

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have been driving Escalades for 10 years...swap them about every three years...I don't plan on changing soon....never had a problem,reasonable fuel mileage great comfort and good off raod...only draw back is that they can't be driven in 2wd mode:yesway:

JP2611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    I have an '04 Jeep Wrangler with 160k on the I4 with 5psd.
    My wife drives a '12 Wrangler sport with the new 285hp V6......big difference between the 2 Jeeps.

All I can say is the strongest aftermarket support I have ever seen is for the Jeep community.

My next vehicle purchase will also be a Jeep... A Grand Cherokee for the added room and better highway manners.

Top Bottom