What new firearms would you like to see developed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Anything left handed.

Specifically, a left handed .22lr bolt action that isn't just the bare bones base model. (You hear me Savage?)
    The Tikka T1X in left hand is supposed to eventually come to the US... I'd certainly like to get my hands on one with a 16" barrel.

For semi-autos, the Browning SA-22 Challenge (bottom-ejecting) is starting to be available online. It's not the prettiest rifle, but has several features that I'd like. That's a post-graduation and starting a real job kinda money though.

I'd also like to see a DWX or be able to afford the CZ Custom Shop pistol in .357 Sig.

A Walther PDP with a paddle release would be nice. Also want to see CZ going towards ambi safeties (like on the Gen 1 P-10) instead of reversible.. A Steyr M9 with ambi features would be good, too.

For Henry doubles... You can suggest products on their website. I'd shell out a grand on a no frills US-made exposed-hammer side by side with a modern threaded choke system (~2x the cost of a single shot by them). When I suggested it to them, I recommended starting with 28 gauges or 410 since there are so many relatively inexpensive European imports of 12s and 20s. heck, I'd buy it in any gauge, just make them and stock it with American walnut!

Other than cross-rifle compatibility, what does and AR in .30 carbine give that .300 blk doesn't do a little harder and with minimal adjustment? .30 carbine pushes 110 gn to 2000fps. Blackout will do the same if not more in a 16" barrel.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I thought quite a bit on the question since it was posted. Either I lack imagination, or I have been lucky enough to have gotten some great firearms.

Anything the commercial market did not have in Rifle, Pistol or Shotgun I was able to mod or have modded IE: rebarrel bolt actions. The aftermarket gave me options that I didn't even know I wanted. The wide variety that has been available since I turned 21 has probably been the best time in the firearms age. High end, low end, US Military, Foreign Military, Competition, Hunting, Varmint, Defensive. I always was able to find a great product. Even when what I wanted was out of production, I found a used one somewhere. Lucky I guess

I have a couple of Left handed friends, so I can sympathize with Jetta. In guns and guitars, there are a lot more struggles for the Left handed firearms lovers.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was just looking at 9mm velocity compared to 7.62x25mm. The 9mm with a 90gr bullet loaded up to maximum pressure I believe would have the same velocity maybe more than the 85gr 7.62x25mm.
    This load data is from a 4" 9mm barrel. It is also well under maximum pressure and its velocity is over 1400 fps. So you take it to maximum pressure not plus + just 35,000 psi and a 5" barrel I bet you could get it over 1500 fps. Which would be faster than the 7.62x25mm. Now how fast would it go with a +p load?
    Screenshot_20220111-002356_Brave.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I was just looking at 9mm velocity compared to 7.62x25mm. The 9mm with a 90gr bullet loaded up to maximum pressure I believe would have the same velocity maybe more than the 85gr 7.62x25mm.
    This load data is from a 4" 9mm barrel. It is also well under maximum pressure and its velocity is over 1400 fps. So you take it to maximum pressure not plus + just 35,000 psi and a 5" barrel I bet you could get it over 1500 fps. Which would be faster than the 7.62x25mm. Now how fast would it go with a +p load?
    View attachment 175559
    If you were only after raw speed, then you could load the 90 grain bullet in a .357 Sig(or 9x25 Dillon for even more velocity) and easily beat the 7.62x25. Unless you're using monometal bullets, the 90 grain 9mm bullets are not likely to hold together well when they hit something and penetration will suffer greatly. With the 7.62x25 you get the velocity and still retain penetration. With the new .30 Super Carry coming out, any hope of modern 7.62x25 firearms, however slim, has probably become effectively zero, though.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I'd also really, really like a top break magnum here in the US. It seems as if the barrel was at 6, it would reduce the leverage on the strap, which I know was a past problem. And would benefit from recoil reduction like the Chiappas.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    View attachment 175559
    I have seen 115gr 9mm loads pushed to 1400-1450fps. Should be no problem to get it from a 90 grainer. The problem is like Two70 said, the bullet has to be able to handle it. Some bullets may even come apart in the air when pushed hard enough.

Not sure what pistol you are looking at using, but look into 9mm major. Most are using 147gr. loads at 1200fps now, but some have done 115 and 124. These are in the 40-48k psi range, and don't just go using them in any gun.

A 9x25 barrel will get you ridiculous numbers if you're looking strictly for velocity. It's based on the 10mm and with a 77gr. loading exceeds 2000fps.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Could you educate me on this:
    Why can’t an exact replica be made? For legal, or for functional reasons?

Both of these were made by the millions, and issued to front-line troops who beat the heck out them, frequently on their enemy’s heads, and still functioned. So why re-do perfection?
    Open bolt is ok for machine guns. For a civilian market semi-auto, it's not ideal. Legal issues aside, they suck to shoot in semi-auto because the entire bolt has to fall forward after the trigger is pulled, so there's some delayed lock time and a lot of mass to compensate for between the pull of the trigger and the primer ignition. Also, you're basically slam-firing every round...so there's a much higher potential for out-of-battery discharges than most of us are typically used to with semi-auto guns (and from what I understand, it DID happen quite a bit with many of these designs). Add to that the necessity to modify the design to reliably ensure that the gun isn't going to go full-auto, or be easily converted BACK to full auto (more on that below), and you've now complicated the design well beyond what these things were originally conceived as.

I've fired an M3 grease gun. That thing is a case study in simplicity. But it's also very rough, and not particularly easy to shoot. It's fun because of what it is, as a machine gun, but it would absolutely suck as a semi-auto.

Legally, you can't sell a gun that was designed as a machine gun that can be readily re-converted to fire full-auto. I don't know all of the nuances of that law, but as I understand it, the problem of creating semi-auto clones out of existing machine gun designs is that by the time you make it so that the gun can't easily be converted back into a full-auto configuration, you've had to change the gun so much that the design is nothing like the original, apart from maybe cosmetics, and the shooting experience is very different as a result. Which kinda defeats the point.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you were only after raw speed, then you could load the 90 grain bullet in a .357 Sig(or 9x25 Dillon for even more velocity) and easily beat the 7.62x25. Unless you're using monometal bullets, the 90 grain 9mm bullets are not likely to hold together well when they hit something and penetration will suffer greatly. With the 7.62x25 you get the velocity and still retain penetration. With the new .30 Super Carry coming out, any hope of modern 7.62x25 firearms, however slim, has probably become effectively zero, though.
    Just looking to mimic the speed of the 7.62x25mm in a cheap and readily available cartridge. Since you can't get one in a high capacity now days. You can do it with a 9mm if you reload. Maybe Underwood has a load like that. It would definitely require a fmj or solid copper bullet. A Hollow Point would probably break apart in the first six inches at that speed.

I see a lot if love for the 7.62x25mm.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Could you educate me on this:
    Why can’t an exact replica be made? For legal, or for functional reasons?

Both of these were made by the millions, and issued to front-line troops who beat the heck out them, frequently on their enemy’s heads, and still functioned. So why re-do perfection?
    There are two issues to an MP40, Grease Gun, etc:

Number one is the ATF says open bolt functionality is no go. They think it's too easy to convert to full auto. So you have to reengineer the gun to fire from a closed bolt, either by changing to a hammer fired trigger or by modifying the bolt itself to install, basically, a striker fire system that uses the existing sear. These changes often introduce feeding problems.

Number two is the barrel length, old subguns have the barrel very far forward on the gun and they look ridiculous with 16 inch barrels. So you have to sell it as a pistol, therefore your Ppsh can't have a wood stock and your MP40 can't have a folding stock. You need to engineer a way people can either install a brace or convert to a stock when they get their SBR paperwork. How do you sell a Ppsh as a pistol?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Just looking to mimic the speed of the 7.62x25mm in a cheap and readily available cartridge. Since you can't get one in a high capacity now days. You can do it with a 9mm if you reload. Maybe Underwood has a load like that. It would definitely require a fmj or solid copper bullet. A Hollow Point would probably break apart in the first six inches at that speed.

I see a lot if love for the 7.62x25mm.
    Underwood does have a 68 grain 9mm load at 1700 fps as well as a 90 grain 9x25 load at 2000 fps!

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I would like to see manufacturers figure out that barrel length doesn't do anything to help conceal a pistol. Full sized grips with short barrels do literally nothing to help concealment. Maybe a G19 sized slide with a G26 sized grip frame would be ideal and other models and brands follow suit. I know it's been done in the aftermarket but would like to see factory offerings.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

I have built a Glock 26L (G26 frame with G19 Slide) and a Glock 19L (G19 Frame with G17 slide) and I LOVE both of them. I think the only reason not to have a longer barrel is for the AIWB guys. But I carry 3:30 IWB and I like the long slide with shorter grip for easier concealment. Plus, if you want more capacity, you can just put in a bigger mag!

Never understood why manufacturers never tried this out.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

I have built a Glock 26L (G26 frame with G19 Slide) and a Glock 19L (G19 Frame with G17 slide) and I LOVE both of them. I think the only reason not to have a longer barrel is for the AIWB guys. But I carry 3:30 IWB and I like the long slide with shorter grip for easier concealment. Plus, if you want more capacity, you can just put in a bigger mag!

I'd like a 3" barrel with a 18rd magazine. The only one that I can make that way is the Taurus G2c and I think the new G3c also takes Sig P226 magazines as well.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    An aluminum frame Shield Plus or M&P compact could be interesting.

Glock 20/21 Gen 5.

I'm surprised that Glock hasn't released these "new" models, since the parts are already in the bin.
    Just a couple of new roll marks and voila, Glock innovation!

:):

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Pre 64. Winchesters. Nothing plastic. Nothing Aluminum. Nothing MIM . Must not be dependent on sales profits though as the market won’t support real guns anymore.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I would like to see an AR style 50 cal.
    Wait no longer here you go.

Top Bottom