What if the Dollar collapses? New currency?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Thanks to all who replied. If(WHEN) the $ implodes, what would become of whatever you're making payments on? Your house,car,rent, property taxes on your paid off home? Like Redneckmedic said, if the $ implodes and NOTHING replaces it,very very BAD day!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    If(WHEN) the $ implodes, what would become of whatever you're making payments on? Your house,car,rent, property taxes on your paid off home?
    My take is that when it happens, there really won't be much structure left, neither Governmental or banking. There will be far bigger problems for existing structure to deal with, and no bank is going to be able to just remove everyone that owes money or repossess property since they won't have a use for it. Additionally, when it happens, I don't think they'd be able to remove me from my home. We own it outright as soon as inheritance taxes are paid it comes out of probate and we have a clear deed. Our cars tend to be 10 years old and bought with cash. Utilities are the only debts we will have and won't need them if we prepare properly. The clock is ticking BTW, this holiday season will be the last retail one we see for a while since there won't really be any retail left afterwords.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    Here is where my thoughts are. Which will do me more good and be worth more a 1 oz gold coin that cost me $1300 or $1300 worth of food, medical supplies, oil, house hold goods, and ammo. In my mind there is no choice. I have some silver and even a little gold but if I did already have my stock pile of the other stuff I would sell it right away and buy them.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Isn't there some passage in the Bible in regards to people throwing their gold into the streets because it's worthless?

Yes, there is:
    They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their bowels: because it is the stumbling block of their iniquity. Ezekiel 7:19

Just goes to show that there is an ultimate limitation to how far our preps can take us...eventually we will come to the limit of all our resources, and have to rely on the Lord or perish (physically and spiritually). Faith in Jesus as your personal savior is the ultimate prep.

Sure, your intuition tells you that there are some bad things coming, but how bad will it ultimately get? How about a 33% die-off, and your preps won't save you:
    By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone... Revelation 9:13
    (P.S. that sounds like nukes to me)

As for the comment about banks not foreclosing on properties on which payments are not being made: don't count on it. If for whatever reason, you don't make your mortgage or tax payments, you should expect to be evicted, even after a dollar or gov't collapse. If you get to stay for a while or indefinitely, count it an unexpected (and undeserved) blessing, but don't make that your plan. Bible evens has a thing or too to say about indebtedness:
    The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower [is] servant to the lender. Proverbs 22:7

Makes you stop to think that the Bible has a lot of answers about the future and what is important.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    As for the comment about banks not foreclosing on properties on which payments are not being made: don't count on it. If for whatever reason, you don't make your mortgage or tax payments, you should expect to be evicted, even after a dollar or gov't collapse.
    If infrastructure collapses to the point of power plants being closed, municipal water being gone, etc....They aren't going to evict people. They aren't even going to have access to their records nor will they be going in to the office. There are already quite a few cities and counties across the country where the police dept./sheriffs offices refuse to evict people even when there is a court order.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    In the depression, the banks wouldnt give folks THEIR money, but you had to pay them back what you owed.
    Notice that you sign a contract when you borrow, but they nener promise to give you your money back, thay just say "FDIC" has you covered.

Or, they will come out with the AMERO$ and give it to you at 10 cents on the dollar, but your debts will convert straight over!

The big banks run the world, never forget that.

Most folks dont understand the value of gold anymore, since we got on the fiat money system, folks only want it to dosplay in their nechs and fingers.

"Sell us your old gold, gathering dust"

Heck, my own wife threw away a 24K gold bracelet a few years ago. When I said "What The !" she said, "well it wasnt worth anything, it was broken!"

The only thing gold will be good for is conserving your wealth, and if it came down to it, you whould trade a pound of it for a can of dog food to feed your starving family!

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    If the crap really hits the fan, finding gun, ammo, and food might be as easy and walking down the street. Not to mention, no matter how much stuff to gather, it can be taken from you, or it can be destroyed. Practice how to shoot, and how to sustain yourself. Those two are far more important then having a nice pile of junk.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    The dollar won't collapse. Too many countries and global banks rely on the dollar. They won't allow it to crash.

Most likely what will happen is before the dollar crashes, the US will convert over to NA dollars, UN dollars, or some other monetary system. It will be orderly so that the countries and cash masters that own the US debt will not lose their investments. It is likely that those of us holding dollars in the US will have our dollars devalued. Financial institutions and those holding dollars in other countries will not have their investments devalued.

There will be no choice as to whether anyone accepts the new dollars or not. If you want to engage in commerce, you will have to take them.

Does this sound like the mark of the beast?

I envision a law that makes bartering illegal on the grounds that there is no way to collect taxes. How does the government class get paid if you trade two hours of your time cleaning out a horse stable for a meal, or beans for bullets?

I also don't think gold or silver is the way to go. The powers that be will not allow a shadow currency to be established.

My thinking is enjoy the luxury items you have (tv, cable, home, electricity, running water, etc.) as long as you have them. Stock up on things you need to survive (food, meds, clothes, etc.). Buy an RV, camper or tent. Pay cash so that it can't be taken away. If you can't change a tire, learn to. If SHTF, park your RV full of stuff you need to survive in a national park or forest. Shoot stuff. Grow stuff. Get your water from open streams. You can live a long time without modern luxuries if you have the right mental attitide. A strong belief in God helps too.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Check out this site:

SurvivalBlog.com

Little light reading to help ya'll sleep better!:laugh:
    I think the dollar WILL collapse and its gonna be ugly with a capital UG!:eek:
    We can't just continue doing what we've been doing ( as a nation) and expect things to change. Obama is now talking about how we are gonna spend or way out of the recession.:n00b:
    That feller ain't right.:noway:

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Lead, Copper, Brass

Food

Smokes

Liquor

and the oldest profession will become a barter tool.. Think about it. Now it cost a night out dinner, drinks, entertainment.... Then can of spam, can of green beans, pound of rice.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    It's NOT If the Dollar Collapses, it's WHEN the Dollar Collapses. At the current rate of deficit spending, Obama Care, Govt Motors, Cap and Trade, Illegal to Instant Citizen Status, Redistribution of Wealth Schemes we are sliding into oblivion on a Progressive George Soros Greased Slope. I'm hoping and praying that some in Washington will Wake Up, and 2010 will tip the Balance but Sadly I'm Not overly optimistic :dunno:

true story!! guys its coming and how prepared are you?

OP i ll keep enough food to keep my family alive and a little more for others passing through (if i find them honest and not looters) and enough ammo to protect whatever it is i got! anything else is secondary! if you want to stock up a currency then have stuff people are going to need cause that is going to be worth the most!:draw:
    :ingo:

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    back on topic. If you are looking for a Valuable Currency for SHTF. My bet is on processed (edible) Salt.

I have several hundred pounds hidden away just in case.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I think that food, ammo, alcohol, smokes, and other neccesary items or addictions. Gold may be nice but you can't eat it or drink it and it may end up taking over but in the near future I don't think so. Also, the dollar has its days numbered as the Chinese already have pushed for its removal as the main currency of use and I expect the euro to gain more ground in the process.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I'm from the Government(UN) and I'm here to help.....

Don't worry, this is going to happen and it's gonna happen SOON, 2010. The plan was laid out decades ago, and is coming together nicely. Thank you for your cooperation these past few years. There is already a solution to the manufactured problem, we're just not going to like it. Live Brave and Die Free my friends. Don't be sheep. Stockpile all the food you can afford to buy before your life savings becomes the value of a bag of rice.

Top Bottom